HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:25 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Alert
Great Planes Lancair ES "EP" Finally!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431383

Can you all say Fiberglass FUSE, etc.... and Steerable nose Wheel!!!

I am certainly getting this for XMAS!!!

With the wing loading it is going to be a super performer.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:50 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quite the contrary - I'm thinking with that wing loading and a high aspect ratio wing it'll be a nasty tip-stalling beast at slower speeds.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:54 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hunter
Quite the contrary - I'm thinking with that wing loading and a high aspect ratio wing it'll be a nasty tip-stalling beast at slower speeds.

Martin
Go to the other thread and I just posted the TECH NOTES for Wing Loading....dang have you looked at the Video. I have not been disappointed with the Great Planes Super Sportster EP and everyone posted all kinds of stuff....saying the model would not take off all the way saying NOT SO GREAT PLANES Etc...

I guess you have really not followed the most recent releases from Great Planes such as the Super Sportster EP and the mini Sportster EP both just great performers dispite the wing loading assuming flying it completely stock and which I did for the 48 inch wing span Super Sportster EP!

Dang the model has not been release and here's a good example of the first Nay Sayers!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:59 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Oh, by the way the my Great Planes Super Sportster EP of 48 inch wing span tips the digital scale at 3.14 lbs and she flys fantastic!

The model in question low end Full up weight is advertised at 15.8 oz. and has 43 inch wing span and the wing air foil does seem like semi-symmetrical like the Super Sportster EP!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:04 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
The only thing I don't like about it is the release date of late November. If they're true to form, they mean November 2006! I think it looks pretty nice. I would imagine it will make for some hot landings. Should be fun though.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
For $99.US it comes with:

Honeycomb core composite fiberglass fuselage with cooling holes for motor ventilation
Wings: Balsa and plywood with pre-applied heat shrink film and fiberglass wing tips.
Cowl: Prepainted fiberglass
Wheel Pants: Prepainted fiberglass
Canopy: Clear plastic, held in place with magnets, allows easy access to radio compartment.
Landing Gear: Fixed tricycle type with steerable nose wheel option for greater ground control
Aileron Control:
Motor: Speed 400 with . :1 ratio gearbox
Electronic Speed Control: 30A
Battery: 1800mAh NiMH
Spinner: TBD " ( mm) diameter
Propeller: TBD
Wheels: " ( mm) diameter
Building Time: Approximately 6 hours
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:09 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr
The only thing I don't like about it is the release date of late November. If they're true to form, they mean November 2006!
matt
Matt,

That was funny!

No, I called them and it seems like lots have interest in this model. One flyer at my Club bought the Glow version of this model and he just happen to come across this thread and he is very excited about this smaller EP version as you can fly her out of a smaller park.

Carlos
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:11 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
I've been looking at the glow one that they have. It's beautiful but to convert to E seems too expensive and troublesome. The one you've pointed out may just be the ticket for me. The price point of $99 seems fair enough for all that is included. We'll see what next spring holds for me.

I'm suspicious of the landing gear. I had one of the Wattage Cessna 182's and unless you're landing on a smooth surface, the front-wheel gear loved to tuck under the fuse. The wire seemed solid enough but it kept on giving way. I wonder if it could be beefed up on this one. I'd be willing to deal with a little extra weight for piece of mind.

It cries out for a brushless motor for some speed. Just my opinion.

Be sure to let us know how it goes. You always do pretty good build/progress threads.

matt
Last edited by mattalbr; Oct 20, 2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:17 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
I've been looking at the glow one that they have. It's beautiful but to convert to E seems too expensive and troublesome. The one you've pointed out may just be the ticket for me. The price point of $99 seems fair enough for all that is included. We'll see what next spring holds for me. Be sure to let us know how it goes. You always do pretty good build/progress threads.

matt
Matt,

I feel your pain but, my buddy at the Club Field did get the 80+ inch wing span and he is almost complete with the Glow-To-Electric conversion. I think he installed the PJS 2500 Direct Drive with 4S2P or something like that....

Here's our Orlando Squadron Thread and you can see the early pictures of it last weekend when he came with it to show and tell....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=228
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:18 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Oct 2002
1,291 Posts
Looks Good to Me

Looks good to me also. I'm sure with the normal weight reduction (brushless) she should be an even better flyer. I wouldn't worry about flying her around real slow, fast looks like it brings out the flight performance anyway. I may be a Christmas candidate also. Too bad we can't get a slight cost credit for one without the brushed setup though.

Paul
cadmanpilot is offline Find More Posts by cadmanpilot
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:22 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanpilot
Looks good to me also. I'm sure with the normal weight reduction (brushless) she should be an even better flyer. I wouldn't worry about flying her around real slow, fast looks like it brings out the flight performance anyway. I may be a Christmas candidate also. Too bad we can't get a slight cost credit for one without the brushed setup though.

Paul
Paul,

Don't forget to toss out the heavy 1800mAH round cells I just ordered the new Thunder Power PRO LITES 2100mAH, 3S1P, Li-POLYs (2) packs for $67.75 each from Combat Wings! It is amazing how much improved these batteries have come along!!!

Carlos
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:23 PM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Was he just showing or did he fly it? It looks nice.

matt
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:23 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Was he just showing or did he fly it? It looks nice.

matt
Just showing....he did not come with the wing assembly
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:41 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Go to the other thread and I just posted the TECH NOTES for Wing Loading....dang have you looked at the Video. I have not been disappointed with the Great Planes Super Sportster EP and everyone posted all kinds of stuff....saying the model would not take off all the way saying NOT SO GREAT PLANES Etc...

I guess you have really not followed the most recent releases from Great Planes such as the Super Sportster EP and the mini Sportster EP both just great performers dispite the wing loading assuming flying it completely stock and which I did for the 48 inch wing span Super Sportster EP!

Dang the model has not been release and here's a good example of the first Nay Sayers!

I don't think Martin is calling the model bad, but what he's saying is that although some specs are similar to the Super Sportster EP, they are completely different beasts. The Super Sportster EP is a smaller version of a time tested larger glow NON SCALE airframe with gentle sport flying characteristics in mind. Besides to say that their last couple of models are good does not mean that their next model will be good. I really hope it is because it looks awesome, and I'm sure it probably will be, but to assume it is good before anyone has one, jumping the gun.

Remember the full scale Lanc is a hot airframe, not at all meant to be flown slow. The small model, assuming they have not made too many scale deviations will fly the same, if not more magnified due to it being a much smaller version.

That being said, the large 1.20 sized Lanc from GP flys best when flown fast, but will slow down to a walk on landing (with flaps) for some really smooth touch downs.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2005, 07:04 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Again, even though the wing cord is narrow just like a Lancair, the wing loading is light enough to avoid the wicked tip stall as Martin mentioned. The Video that was posted on Great Planes Web Site is flying it completely Stock and I am saying that they have a Video for the Super Sportster EP and most of the models Great Planes sell.

Are we not to trust what they are providing in the form of a Video. I was certainly and pleasantly surprised when I maiden my Super Sportster EP completely stock and on Grass Field!!!

There comes a point where those out there need to come clean and just write that they don't have that much confidence in Great Planes "or" they just don't like models from this company and be done!!

When I see value, I go for it otherwise, I would not even bother!