HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:00 PM
Irvine, Ca
Joined Nov 2004
131 Posts
Spektrum 2.4 GHz

What do you all think. Spektrum 2.4 GHz. It does CCPM.

rom
dea-orion is offline Find More Posts by dea-orion
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:05 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hmmm, about 200 clams for the TX and 60 for the RX...6 chn set-up sounds appealing.

Seeing as how this is new technology for RC use, I can't but wonder if a land based spread spectrum telephone would cause interference though?
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:22 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
There was a company working on a spread spectrum radio module for the Futabas.
I think it was Model Avionics, not sure.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:25 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-orion
What do you all think. Spektrum 2.4 GHz. It does CCPM.

rom
No expo on rudder
only 3 point curves

This gives it equivalent functionality (approx) to a JR XP662 Tx, which is at the bottom of the 6ch computer radio food chain.

Cannot comment on the 2.4Ghz aspect, except that this iseems to be flavour of the month, so I am unsure as to frequency management issues....
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:26 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
hmmm..

based on the performance issues we have had with DSM in model power boats, I would not be touching this one with a barge pole!! (At least until they can prove that it consistently works!)
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:05 PM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,791 Posts
It was Model Avionics and it turned out to be a lot harder than they first thought.

A quote from their litrature:

"For the first time, range is not an issue for parkflyers. Our testing shows that the AR6000 outperforms any competitor in its class. So what's the exact range? More than enough - just like our current 72MHz systems (for example: What's the range of the 10-channel systems guiding our advanced and pro-class models? More than enough. Same idea with the DX6.)

So while the AR6000's superior range may tempt its use in "regular" sport aircraft, please don't do it. Use the DX6 for park-flyers only. It will provide a very safe, satisfying experience for your parkies." End Quote.

One of the issues with 2.4Ghz is range, in Oz 100mw is the legal limit of power output. Secondly its a open frequency, hop around all you want but if there is a lot of junk you are going to get issues. A single land based telephone won't cause major issues as long as they are around when you turn the TX on, the TX "listens" to its enviroment when initialized and marks certain freqs as in use and avoids them in its freq hoping scheme.

Although antenna length is tied to wavelength as they state, there is also a small thing called gain. One of the reasons for making the RX antenna short is to stop it picking up interference.

The issue I have with 2.4Ghz is that its shared - in the current system, its like having a single lane highway all to yourself, you have the bandwidth and nobody else has it. With 2.4 Ghz its likes having a 100 lane highway and constantly changing lanes in the hope you won't hit anything. Before you start using the highway, you can look down it to see which lanes are currently free and select the best ones but there is always the chance of a traffic jam later in the journey.

Not a great anology....

Be nice to see how 2.4Ghz goes, my *opinion* is its a step back in some respects, we have a freq ranges asigned to us, these are legally ours and no one else can use them - going on to an open freq shared with phones, wifi et al might not be ideal.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Oct 21, 2005, 02:31 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
I have used a Spektrum in my R-1 car tx all summer and have been happy with it for the most part in that application, I dont think I would trust it yet on a heli. I had a couple lockouts, I can accept that with my buggy and monster truck they just skid to a stop, dont need that in my chopper

I wonder if the Module from my R-1 would work in my 8103 and one of the 6ch RX's?? Might have to pick up a esky king and test it out once the RX's are available
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Oct 21, 2005, 04:58 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
buzzsaw,

reading the blurb..sounds like the technology is different from the surface craft application (ie dual frequency for redundancy). Also note that the rx uses 2 aerials for the 2 channel reception on the rx. The tx module you currently have won't work.

I guess the chopper would skid to a stop......skidmark that is, all over the landscape
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankers

Be nice to see how 2.4Ghz goes, my *opinion* is its a step back in some respects, we have a freq ranges asigned to us, these are legally ours and no one else can use them - going on to an open freq shared with phones, wifi et al might not be ideal.

imo It's not because the frequency in itself isn't models only anymore that the whole concept is a step backward. It's like saying current Serial ATA harddrives are a step backward compared to older ide drives with those stupid 88 line cables, just because it's serial again like in the old days and not parallel

Face it...radio technology is old...really old, i mean how many poeple have glitching issues. PCM and 'smart' ppm are just to cover up the bad results of linkloss.

Spead spectrum implies alot of coding in the signal that makes it almost impossible for even an inband interference to be picked up.

And if it is picked up, chances are that a fraction in time later you will be on another frequency while the interfering system isn't.

In a couple of years we will all be flying using this technology and while it is certainly not imperative that THIS particular gear does the job(a bad transmitter still will be a bad transmitter), there will be bullet proof systems soon enough. Exponentially more safe to use then current 'dated' technology.

Loosing planes should and will be a dumb thumbs or other user errors...not radio gear
mattijs321 is offline Find More Posts by mattijs321
Last edited by mattijs321; Oct 21, 2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:45 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I'm fine with my Futaba 9C and FM or PCM selectable!
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Oct 21, 2005, 09:01 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
More discussion here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431252
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster
buzzsaw,

reading the blurb..sounds like the technology is different from the surface craft application (ie dual frequency for redundancy). Also note that the rx uses 2 aerials for the 2 channel reception on the rx. The tx module you currently have won't work.

I guess the chopper would skid to a stop......skidmark that is, all over the landscape
Guess I should have read the info I just guessed it was the same as the surface system.
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46