HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:17 PM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Hi Steve,

I be here just lurking I was in LA for the iHobby Expo show last week and will be back in the shop next Monday just taking a few days to drive back to Fla. And stop a few times and get some flying in. The hurricane missed my shop so I'm a happy boy.

I have a few things going on on the Skunkworks Page And several others that will be out sometime in 06. I also buy designs so you never know what I'll turn up with

I'll get you another set of plans up there to you Steve just take a red Sharpie and mark up the plans on what all you find on the build. I know the formers will need some work for the control linkages to the tail. Are you going with an open structure or are you thinking of sheeting the fuse?

Hope all is well up in your neck of the woods, if you need anything send an e mail to the shop Jeff is holding down the fort till I get back on the 31st

Tom, Thanks for the comments!

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Turner is offline Find More Posts by Mark Turner
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:54 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,072 Posts
Hey Mark,
That Revolution II looks nice. Keep me posted as to the progress.
Lubo
doc-e is online now Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:51 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
Good idea on the plans markings. Will do.

I got quite a bit done last nite. Wing is in one piece. I will finish the center section after the fuse is completed. Parts fit on the wing were very good. No issues here.

The fuse was very easy to assemble. Parts fit was excellent. The pushrod slots seem to be right on location. I had to make elevation blocks(red arrows) to raise the servos for push rod alignment. I'm using HS-55's which are much smaller than the HS-81's shown on the plans. The cabin/winshield supports were broke several times. I'll replace the vertcals with 1/16" sq. I soaked the frame with thin CA, to avoid further rash. After contemplating power systems, the 16/25/6 is just too long and protrudes into the batt area. I decided to use a 16/15/5, which just fits forward of F-2 firewall.

I removed a large portion of the cabin bulkhead F-4 for ease of accessability. Plus removed part of F-2 to remove or install the ESC. This will have to be blocked when water flying is done.

Mark, in order to sheet the fuse effectively, I would have to turn down the bulkheads accordingly in the stringered area. I am going to insert plank the area with soft 3/32". Much of this is sanded off. So, no real wt penalty. And, it will have the metal look.

More tonite..

Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:47 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,606 Posts
Guess it's still raining?

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:58 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
It sure is, CB. It is supposed to let up tomorrow morning. I'm going to try the PO in the mornin'. We have had 17" of rain this month. 65 dams in the state are in danger of collapsing. Of course the say that every year..I think to use up budget money before the fiscal end of the year. That way they can't give tax refunds and thereby recieve the same or more for next yr. The dam inspector is his own department. He gives himself a raise every year. One of the Gov brother-in-laws, no dought..

Been ready to ship for almost two weeks!

Steve
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:39 AM
Whitehouse, NJ
Joined Feb 2002
278 Posts
What's in the box Steve?, did you mount one of those big bass you caught?
Mike
MikeL72 is offline Find More Posts by MikeL72
Old Oct 26, 2005, 09:16 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
Hi Mike, No..I wish! Thats a Kyosho T-33 that I made with area ruled glass intake ducting 3 yrs ago. John bought it. Took 3 weeks for good enough weather to take it to the PO. It's to big to fit inside my truck.

Got more done on the Beaver last nite. I'll post more pics tonite. Just returned from the LHS and purchased some blue and aluminum Econo-Kote. I'm going to seal the bare wood inside and out with spray lacquer before covering. This will keep in from absorbing water from the inevitable dunking..

Steve
Old Oct 27, 2005, 03:43 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
I feel I got a lot done, on my three nites off. All I had beginning monday nite was a vert and horz tailplanes.

I was studying many pics on the internet tonite. This after I started making landing gear. The differance in the location, LG fairing boot and the struts required for the float attachment, reminded me that I wanted this plane for one thing. Float flying! Besides..the DHC-2 just looks right on floats.

To attach the floats, hard points are 3/16" id alum tubing. Except for the rear, which is 5/32. Brass tubing will be inserted in the tubing, with the ends flattened and drilled to accept the struts to the floats. Or a dowel inserted in the tubing to accept music wire struts to the floats.

I did a pre assembly of the Beaver to get a feel for it's looks. With the reduced dihedral, it looks like a Beaver. I'm still contemplating flaps. Would be real nice with them.

Well.. off to work again tonite..bummer..

Steve
Old Oct 27, 2005, 07:29 AM
Whitehouse, NJ
Joined Feb 2002
278 Posts
Looks great Steve -- That long narrow wing sure does give it the distinguishing look.
Those float attachments should give it a good platform. I'm still playing around with different ideas to get the tip floats attached to the Kingfisher -- but not much else with it. I have a woodworking project I'm committed to.
Mike
MikeL72 is offline Find More Posts by MikeL72
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:21 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
At least you are keeping active, Mike. What ever the woodworking project is, I'm sure your craftmanship will be the same as the Kingfisher. Beautiful!

Tip floats have always been a pain in the a$$ to me, also. How to make them break away under severe impact. But, still keep integrity for landing.

Steve
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:07 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Steve, though this model probably won't NEED flaps, they are a very nice scale touch on a Beaver. I added them on my 72" Unionville kit, and watching the elevator-like take-offs and steep, slow landing approaches made the effort worthwhile. With about 12 - 15 deg. of flap, the plane could crawl through the sky, at very scale looking speed, even with a 24oz/sq.ft. wing loading. Mine needed 20% down el. mixed with flap to stop ballooning when they're deployed.

This smaller model is a very tempting replacement for my late lamented model (I sifted it through a chain link fence on aprox. flight 500!! )

Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Oct 28, 2005, 02:23 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
I agree, Brad. This is the third Beaver I have built. The first was a Ikon NW that I built with the floats, in the early 90's. The last was the Dumas. The Ikon had flaps and it walked through the air. You could put it down where ever you wanted too.

Ouch: about the fence..

Steve
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,742 Posts
Very nice. Love the Beaver. It's great to see a built up balsa version at parkflyer size. At 48" you are about 1/12 scale which is approximatly the same size as the GWS foamy ARF (which is not very scale). Those typically come in about 15 oz or less but are only 3 channel. Can't wait to see this one finished. Decided on the livery yet?
btw - I can't help but wonder what's on the bottom of that ashtray.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 01:06 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,230 Posts
Ha..Ha.. I figured disgusting the non-smokers was somethingI did not want to do. I forgot to remove the ash tray from the area!

About time another Canadian joined the thread. I'm Quebec, Arcadian/Cajun French. I hope that's good..

I'm going to make my own livery. Aluminum wings/stab and Insignia blue fuse/vert stab. I always loved this plane. I'll have to make up some markings for a personal livery.

Like your avatar!

Steve
Old Oct 28, 2005, 06:48 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,742 Posts
There's a DHC-2 fan site.
www.dhc-2.com
He's got pictures of about 80% of the Beavers ever built. Tons of colourful ideas. hmm.. Lemme see.....Not too many are left in aluminium...
Here's a nice one.

http://www.dhc-2.com/id431.htm
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Oct 28, 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Closed Thread