Closed Thread
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:28 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Alert
RT Models Beaver Pre-release build

Here I was minding my own bizz, building my RT Models MiG-15 EDF, when Mark Turner of RT Models "generously" asked me to build his new Beaver kit.

No twisting of my arm on this one! I haven't owned a float plane since I left S. Fla. 11 yrs ago. Everybody I knew owned at least one, with all the canals to fly off from. Mark will be releasing a float kit for this plane. He has informed me that release is scheduled for Jan. 06 for both.

Here's a few stats: WS>48.25"..WA>257sq"...LOA>31.25"...Ht 12.5" There is no projected AUW on the plans. I am figuring 25-30oz depending on options and power configuration. I will be using a DD 16/25/6 Mega and a 3s lipo PQ-2200 12c.

The lazer cutting was of very good quality. I only had to help the 1/4" sheet parts to release from the sheet. Wood quality, in my example, was of high quality. Firm wood used where needed. Hinge slots are pre-cut in all spars.

The kit is basically designed as a 3 ch. With ample dihedral for this. I may opt for ail. and flaps. Or keep it simple and fun?

First pics are of the supplied lazer parts sheets. Then I went on to start the tail surfaces first. Horizontal first.

Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:37 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
The folowing are pics of the horizontal. The parts match to plans are excellent. One of the best I have ever experienced. It took 45 minutes to frame every thing, an hr to sand. I added balsa fill between the elev and stab. This for sanding purposes and will remain till final assembly is ready for the parts.

Steve
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:46 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
finally........

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:56 AM
Whitehouse, NJ
Joined Feb 2002
278 Posts
Hi Steve
I will be tracking this build. Will you build floats and get it on the water?
Do the plans show the aileron/flap option or will you have to cut them in if you decide to go with it?
Mike
MikeL72 is offline Find More Posts by MikeL72
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:41 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Cheers, CB!

Hi Mike, good to hear from you. That is my main objective, Mike, is to fly it from water. Mark will ship me the float kit when he releases the kit. I'll add the construction to this thread. I'll probably complete this when there is snow on the ground. So, I might make ski's for the maiden. If I can get the nerve to go out in the cold..

The plans show ailerons on one wing panel. I need to find a three view to get the flaps in approximity.

Get on that Kingfisher!

Steve
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:54 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Always nice to watch someone else 'beavering away'
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:15 AM
Whitehouse, NJ
Joined Feb 2002
278 Posts
Great!! Ailerons are nice to have when there's some choppy water to deal with. Perhaps it's too much to look for water rudders on the floats??

Good to be back -- starting to get pretty cold up north. I will be working on the Kingfisher soon. Didn't get much done on it in Maine. Too busy fishing, flying and watching the loons and ospreys.

Mike
MikeL72 is offline Find More Posts by MikeL72
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:30 AM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Hi Steve,

Good deal and thanks for tackling the Beaver. This is an early ALPHA kit Steve is working on. And I like to have others do a build on the ALPHA versions to get input on what needs to be changed, what fits, or does not fit well, etc.

I had a guy in So. Fla doing one and then he just kinda dropped everything modeling wise. And since I already have a page up on the Beaver I asked Steve to do it some justice for us.

The final kit release will have full function controls including flaps. And a float kit will be avail soon after the Beaver is done. I really like the idea of a fully sheeted fuse rather than an open structure to give it a more scale look and yes it does have allot of dihedral as it was intended for a easy building Beaver. Then I started getting tons of e mails wanting a more scale looking version. So that's the route I want to go with it.

Steve, if you don't mind just keep track of what goes well and the stuff that needs to be changed and don't be shy the idea here is to find out what works well and what does not.

Thanks again

Mark
Mark Turner is offline Find More Posts by Mark Turner
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:01 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Hi Vinto, welcome.

I know Mike, my 3-F's are always fighting for priority, too.

Mark, I did run into the first part size error, on the vert stab. I started a list. I will be make new ply dihedral braces to reduce the angle.

I'm off to work tonight. 4 on/3off. I'll get the vert sanded in the morn. And post a few more pics then.

Steve
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:05 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
While we're on the subject of Beavers, you might find this advertisement for a piece of ancilliary airfield maintenance equipment with a look. I found it rather more amusing than the vendor probably would have wished.
http://www.thehangar.co.uk/cgi-bin/c...uery=retrieval
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:26 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Back to work? Bummer.

J (CB)
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 21, 2005, 09:04 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Thanx WIP, I'll take a look. CB, I was on break when you posted that..

I framed the vertical flat on the board. The instructions are to build it off the board. I never had much luck getting things strait like that. VF,VL, are 1/16" raised. RT and the top sheet parts are at 1/8". The tip of the spars are 3/32".

Mark, I'm filling out a word pad document with any issues. And I can send it to you when completed. V2 and V3 were short. The reason why the rib spar does not line up over the plans. Won't get too much done the next few days, but I plan on starting the wing layout this morning.

Steve
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:13 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
Well.. I'm back.. next 3 nites off. So, I should get much of the Beaver framed.

The right wing panel was framed first. I elected to modify the provided 1/16 ply dihedral braces for less angle. I reduced the dihedral angle by half. I also deviated from the directions in two areas. I attached the ply dihedral braces while framing the panel, instead of adding them later. I also made an extra set of W-3 rib blanks to the dihedral break.

Ailerons were framed in using 1/8" for the wing TE and 3/16" for the ail LE. False ribs added at each ail end. Then the wing tip was added after removing from the board. Along with spar and TE extensions on the tip plate.

Now to the other side, the add the center section.

Steve
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:19 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
I'll probably complete this when there is snow on the ground. So, I might make ski's for the maiden. If I can get the nerve to go out in the cold..
It might be fun to try water-skiing, Steve

Love the model - RT does neat stuff!

-t
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:51 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,459 Posts
I agree, Tom. I'll have to pry Marks head and see what he has for other designs, that possibly have not been seen..(hint..hint..to Mark)

Steve
Closed Thread