HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: best escs on value for money.
1. kontronic 17 45.95%
MGM 2 5.41%
Hacker 2 5.41%
Castlecreations 7 18.92%
Castlecreations HV 2 5.41%
actronic 0 0%
schulze 6 16.22%
align governored ESCs. 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:03 AM
Custom User Title
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
ESC discussion thread & poll (best value on price, governor, softstart, program ease.

value for money as well, ie, if the governor is not great, but the softstart is ok and the prices is kick, then... yer...

1. kontronic
2. MGM
3. Hacker
4. Castlecreations
5. Castlecreations HV
6. actronic
7. schulze
8. align governored ESCs.

hmm.. compare the schulze 160 with the cc125hv, the 160 is more then double the price of the cc125hv, but more then likely its governor is much better, i have used the castlecreations escs before and yuo cannot beat their ease and simplicity of programming , but the governors are questionable.

mike
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:41 AM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,563 Posts
I have owned at one time or another:
Hacker Master 40 Heli - Worked great but governor questionable.
Kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 - Fantastic
MGM Compro 6032 Heli - Surprisingly good for the price. some nice features not found on other brands.
CC HV85 - Worked for me but too many stories of failed units. No more CC for me!
Kontronik Jazz 55-10-32 - Fantastic.
Schulze 32.55k - just bought a used one out of pure curiosity. Ask me a few weeks.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:44 AM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
I've read some good reviews about the Quark Universal ESC and the Tsunami's. Perhaps they should have been included in the poll?
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:33 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Kontronik is definitely the best.

I have both the Castle Creations Phoenix and HS ESC’s – the governor is not the best but the price is right. The latest governor software is very usable and software upgrades are free.

The worst is definitely the Hacker.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 20, 2005, 01:48 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
if the MGM esc works as advertised than I think it poses the best value, doesn't it ?

CustomPC got me thinking in the direction of this esc...
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Oct 20, 2005, 02:18 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
I had a mgm and it was great, very versatile and flexible. Has some very nice features but the programming is "different". I gave it to a mate who needed it. He is very happy. If i need another HV esc i think i would get another, they are more affordable than the Big K.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Oct 20, 2005, 02:52 AM
Joined May 2004
1,563 Posts
I agree with ozace. The MGM worked well. Programming took some getting used to but once you know the sequence it's not that great a problem.

It has a pretty good soft start which can be varied. I liked the very bright LED that told you what status it was in and the buzzer could be heard from afar.
The Auto-rotation feature was good ( i never tried it in a real auto though).
The governor "locks" in after the soft start routine and mine locked in with a bit of a jolt. I never flew hard enough to really stress the governor so i can't honestly say how good it is.

The only gripe i had with it were that at 60gm it was 20gm heavier than similarly specced ESC from Kontronik or Schulze, and there was a lot of wires hanging off it. 3 motor wires, 2 battery wires, LED wire, Buzzer Wire, Switch Wire and RX Lead. It was like an octopus.
Last edited by CustomPC; Oct 20, 2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:43 PM
Custom User Title
Sydney/canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2004
1,752 Posts
is anyone else using the mgm escs?, i couple of tictocs would make the governor prove itself, for a big helicopter 20 grams is like... well nothing almost.

one of the things i find unfavorable about the hacker esc is áparently' (havent proven myselft) but when you shut off the motor there is no second slowstart, i dont know how chachin got around this in his auto video, but zero - full throttle couldnt be good for the gears, adn the amps would be high enough to fry the motor esc and battery too.

mike
mhale71 is offline Find More Posts by mhale71
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:09 PM
Joined May 2004
1,563 Posts
I've heard that about the hackers too.

The Schulze and MGM both have a feature where if you put the throttle to about 5%, ie. not completely off, the restart will be quicker than the normal slow start speed but still soft enough not to stress gears etc.

On the Jazz, it's a slow start every time.