Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 18, 2005, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
11 Posts
MM Eva Sport or SA Gride??

I think I am ready for my first Balsa kit. I currently fly a slo-stick, a fff "STC" foamy with ailerons, and a ff "Jer-Bear" mini wing. I would like to build an aerobatic capable plane that can handle a little more wind. (Maybe 10-15mph). From reading the forums I like the MM EVA with sport wing and the Stevens Aero Gride. (Leaning towords the Gride)

I have never built a balsa kit. Which one? Thanks

Rick
Rick Hodges is offline Find More Posts by Rick Hodges
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:30 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
I personally think the MM planes are a bit easier to build. The Eva also has a very sturdy fuse compared to the SA planes. Both are good choices, but I would go for the MM if this is your first kit. Then you can get the SA as your second and see which you like better.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:36 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
G-Ride
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:51 PM
High Speed, Triple Spark!
Joined Dec 2004
316 Posts
Stevensaero planes are EASY and REALLY FUN to build....takes no time at all! I've built and still fly the Groove (my first "build") and the Stella. I think you'd like the Stella over the G_Ride, it will do almost everything the G-Ride will do, but then you can use it to learn 3D later if you'd like. It's more versatile. I fly pattern aerobatics and aggressive 3D with Stella!

Only thing, Stella is more for 3D, and G-Ride is MORE pattern-like (for example, Stella has weak knife-edge, wicked 3D... G-Ride better in snaps and KE, harder to hover). Depends on wat you're looking for I guess.....

Stevensaero, hands down...but MM is still a good 2nd choice though!!! IMHO
BigBreeze is offline Find More Posts by BigBreeze
Last edited by BigBreeze; Oct 19, 2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling and added words!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:21 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,481 Posts
Rick,
The Gride is an awsome plane very well designed and flys great!
But in your case I think the MM EVA would be a better all around plane.
As far as building goes both are very easy builds and go together quickly.
I have built the gride and the MM mini Flash both were enjoyable builds.
A friend of mine who just got into the hobby fell in love with the gride and was able to built it as his first balsa kit with no problems. It even came out better than mine!
Unfortunately he only had one short flight on it! It was just too much for a beginner pilot.
While the SA kits are built strong for any flight loads they are not forgiving on bad landings or crashes.
Just my thoughts
Good luck!
Rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Oct 20, 2005, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
11 Posts
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your input. 2 for Gride, 2 for MM EVA. Ha! I think the best idea was to build them both!!!

RickC, you have a good point. I still land rather hard on occasion. Perhaps the EVA would be the better choice while I polish my skills.

Thanks again. It appears that both models are well made and fly very well.

Rick
Rick Hodges is offline Find More Posts by Rick Hodges
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:54 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Or - not quite as aerobatic-looking - but very rugged and amazingly capable: Stevens Aero SQuiRT 400 with the aileron wing.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:47 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
G-Ride is an extremly easy and fun build. It's not the build you get annoyed at, its is the best plane ive built to date. About the G-Ride and crashes: Mine went pretty much straight down very fast. My trim tab was over all the way, and i took off at full throttle. I didn't realise the problem till it was too late. It was already over houses, so I cut throttle and went in a straight down spiral behind some houses. No wing damage except for cracek in TE, fuse formers F1 and F2 had to be rebuilt, and some work aft of the cockpit. All better now. The plane crashed very well, although i think I somehow got very lucky!
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89