HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2002, 05:20 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
547 Posts
AC-DC Converter for 12V Charger

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Dymond Super Turbo Charger and since this is purely a DC powered charger (i.e 12 V car battery) what would a good AC-DC converter (or adaptor) for this unit in terms of amperage rating? I plan to do a lot of charging indoors and I know there are lots of 12 v converters out in the market but have different ratings and specifications. Anybody tried AC- DC power source for their chargers?

Thanks.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2002, 05:49 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
If you are interested I have a few industrial quality 24 amp chargers that I will sell to E-zoners for $75. Soft start circuit, limiting AC surge current, short circuit protected. Overload, overvoltage, & over temp protected. Auto cooling fan and a few other bells & whistles. I can put you in contact with a couple of E-zoners who have purchease if you wish to get a user opinion.
gerico is offline Find More Posts by gerico
Old May 19, 2002, 03:06 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Most people can manage with about 10A. Lots of us are using old PC power supplies which can be had cheap or even free. There's been lots of discussion on here so try a search.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old May 20, 2002, 08:19 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
I have the same charger and have been running it from a 8 amp PC power supply that was being thown out. Dymond's manual states that it only requires 8 amps and charging 8 cell packs doesn't seem to be a problem.
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old May 21, 2002, 07:13 AM
Now with more COWBELL!
Lexington, KY, USA
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
Somebody a while back posted about this charger:
http://www.mpja.com/list.asp?dept=3
Less than $50, and they have cheaper ones, but I liked the idea of an enclosed case. I have the model #12422 version, and it works great.
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Last edited by U2Steve; May 21, 2002 at 07:25 AM.
Old May 21, 2002, 02:31 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Oct 2000
102 Posts
Glad

I'm glad somebody remembered it. A lot of people will buy PC power supplies and fight with it or search for the holy grail of power supplies with mimimal amount of money. I posted this one awhile back thinking this might cure a lot of people's problems, but hasn't picked up popularity much. This is a great power supply and is very affordable. I don't know why more people don't use this.
Yuchol is offline Find More Posts by Yuchol