SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:58 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Converting the Imex Bahrain

I've been needing as new "pool toy" for our Phoenix trips, and have been on the lookout for a suitable subject. We were at the local Hobby Lobby awhile back and I happened to spot the Imex Bahrain kit and thought that at 17" (1;400 scale) that it would be a perfect subject for the task at hand. The good news is that the kit was under $20.00
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:09 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Fitting the Running Gear

Even at 17", there's lots of room in the hull for the equipment, and being a freighter, the hull is DEEP, so getting the motor and rudder servo placed and mounted was a breeze, The prop shaft stuffing box was made from 1/8" brass tube with bushings at both ends, and a 1/16 brass shaft. A servo motor is used for power, and coupled with a piece of Robart air hose.
The rudder bushing tube is 3/32" brass, with a 1/16" brass shaft and a rudder cut from .o15" brass sheet.
The rudder horn is 1/32" ply with a .032 wire pushrod. A 1/16" brass tube was slipped over the pushrod and soldered in place to stiffen it up a bit.
I usually use kit supplied props for these small conversions, but the prop in this kit didn't look too good, so a new one was cut from .015 " brass and soldered to the prop shaft. Then once the sea trials begin, the prop pitch will be trimmed as need.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Oct 18, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:13 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
"Building" the Model

Now that the running gear is roughed in, actually "building" the kit can get underway. The main deck is in one piece and fits inside a lip at the top of the hull, so it wil stay removeable and will be secured with a couple of small screws. Then once the ship is built, the rest of the equipment can be placed to best accommodate ballast and ballance.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
i didn't see the servos circuit board. are you not using it as the speed control. saves money and weight, more for batterys.
skip
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Skip, Awhile back, our LHS owner gave me a bag of "old motors" of various types, and in the bag were 2 servo motors that were salvaged from damaged crash damaged servos. I also have a drawer full of old (but new) Viper Shark ESC's, so will use one of those. Reverse would be nice, but on this one it's not a priority.
PAT
Old Oct 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
Shawnee KS
Joined Sep 2004
114 Posts
Pat,Any progress?
Fred
cop56 is offline Find More Posts by cop56
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:40 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Fred, Unfortunately not. Been devoting my "spare time" to getting the Cavalier review together and 2 other more pressing airplane projects. Now that the world series is done, that will free up the evenings now!!!
PAT
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:39 PM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
well if you have the draw full you don't have to buy, thats good.
skip
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:56 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Skip, It's morel like this "making a living" thing is getting in the way of the hobby! But that's OK, all in good time!!!
PAT
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:25 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Making Some Progress

Got back in the shop last night and made a little progress on the project. Now that the basic running gear arrangement is in it's time to actually build the model.
The instructions are laid out in sub assemblies, beginning with the main Derreck. Other then the pilot house, this is the most complex sub assembly on the project, so should move along fairly quickly.
PAT
Old Oct 31, 2005, 08:54 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Workin Up the Super Structure

At this point in the project, it's a matter of building up all the deck sub-assemblies. The aft superstructure is well underway too, so it won't be long before painting can get started. And that's when all this will start to look like something.
PAT
Old Nov 11, 2005, 03:17 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Are you going to paint it like the boxart?

I was thinking of getting my son one of these, or the Tampa container ship for a static model for Christmas. Looks pretty nice. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:42 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Tree, The plan is to do the hull in black with rust antifoul and gray decks. Will probably go with yellow or orange cranes just to add some color. Will play the rest by ear, then come up with a new name.
PAT
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:31 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
It's Down to Paint and Details

Had the oppertunity to make some serious progress this weekend. The hull was painted black above the waterline and Burnt Umber. The boot strip was masked with 3/16 pinstripe tape and removed after the basic colors went on.
The main deck was sprayed Guship Gray enamel, with the cargo well sides and superstructure brushed with Light Ghost Gray Acryl. The cargo well covers were brushed with Italian Red Acryl.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:33 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Adding Deck Details

The winches and other machinery were painted dark green on the main deck and on each of the crain decks.