HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2001, 07:53 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Litestick-Glue in the chopsticks or not?

I finally had my first crash with the Litestick, I somehow got her into a tight spin only 20 ft off the ground & put her in nose first. I was amazed to see that there was not much damage except that the chopsticks pulled out of the wing mounts, I justed popped them back in & back in the air!
A friend of mine suggested that I glue the chopsticks into the wing mounts. I kinda think that having these be in a "Break-away" setup is better, would the glued in chopsticks just break off? How do you have yours?
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2001, 08:00 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,293 Posts
I use the chopstix but I also made a kingpost from a popsicle stick and rig the upper and lower ends of the kingpost (glued to fuselage) to the wing with monofilament. Makes for little wing flexing and no damage on crashes (lots of trees in my yard).

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 08:16 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2001
21 Posts
I would recommend not gluing them in. Letting them fall off in crashes in an outlet for energy. If they do not have moveability, then the energy will go toward breaking, folding, or otherwise damaging the wings.

This is just my opinion, but it works well for me.
Cook is offline Find More Posts by Cook
Old Jul 20, 2001, 09:13 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Not gluing the chopsticks in the wing mounts is the equivalent of rubber banding the wing to the fuse. As Cook points out, the whole purpose of loosely attached components is to dissipate energy in a crash. Now, if they start coming loose in the air, that's a whole different situation!
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 23, 2001, 02:26 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Listen to the warnings and DON'T glue the wings into the mounts!
Allowing them to come off during a mishap will save you lots of other grief!

If they just fall out, rub a little glue on them so you have to pull them out.
Fred Bronk is online now Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 23, 2001, 02:52 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Rather than "permanently" attaching the wings, which will only cause more extensive damage in future crashes, there are other options in addition to Fred's suggestion to make the chopsticks fit more firmly in the mounts. You could use a little rubber-type cement, which remains flexible and will pull apart in an impact. Or you could use a couple of small pieces of tape. Thousands of R/C flyers over the years have proved conclusively that not allowing the wing to pop off in a severe impact will result in more damage to the aircraft.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 23, 2001, 03:04 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
For sure do not glue the wings on ......use plain old 1/2" wide scotch tape and tape the wings to one another front and back and they will not come loose except on hard impact and that is when you DO want them to come loose. if you use the tape You can also ditch the string for dihedral believe me it works, just balance the plane on the wings (between two chairs about half way out on the wings) with the battery mounted then tape the wing....you now have well mounted wings with dihedral and no string.

lynn

[This message has been edited by Rekit (edited 07-23-2001).]
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Jul 24, 2001, 12:15 AM
Bedford, MA
Joined Nov 2000
324 Posts
Dave's last comment is what happened to me. The right wing came loose in flight, and I can tell you that a LiteStick doesn't fly well on one wing!! I'm just finishing up repairs, and planning on 'permanently' attaching the wings.

-Tracy
tclark is offline Find More Posts by tclark