HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2002, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
How does the govenor mode on a brushless ESC work?

Oh great brushless motor/esc gurus! This question has been bugging me, please forgive my ignorance.

I have a Kuntronik FUN 600-15 and a Kontronik SMILE 40-6-18 that I use in a Logo 10 electric helicopter.

For heli use the ability to set and hold a main rotor speed is great. On the Kontronik SMILE this is Mode 4.

During the set up it seems that the esc learns how much voltage the battery pack has and what is the TX pulse signal fow low throttle and high throttle. What I dont understand is how the esc then uses % of the throttle signal to determine a rpm to hold the motor at?

What is it regulating? voltage? amperage? motor timing signals?

Also, as the esc will try to hold a specific rpm regardless of load on the motor it seems that it would call for more and more amps as load increased and without some limiting control this might be why a lot of esc's are popping in helis.

Thanks for any insight.

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts