Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:41 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Splash down by any other name!
MUS horns all glued with canopy glue here.
Good luck! Chris
Well, I thought all was repaired until I went to put the battery hatch cover on and realized I'm missing the piece against the bulkhead with the receiving magnet for the cover. I'm making a new one from and old Mini Pulse fuse I had laying around. I'll get it done tonight as I already miss this bird. Nice weather this week too!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:54 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
Well, I thought all was repaired until I went to put the battery hatch cover on and realized I'm missing the piece against the bulkhead with the receiving magnet for the cover. I'm making a new one from and old Mini Pulse fuse I had laying around. I'll get it done tonight as I already miss this bird. Nice weather this week too!

I repaired mine from a nose first crash (picture under my avatar) and after the repairs the magnets wouldn't hold it down like it did. I now use a rubber band around the whole fuse! It's not very pretty, but in reality there's nothing pretty about these planes anyways, but boy they're a blast to play with!
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneagleswings View Post
I repaired mine from a nose first crash (picture under my avatar) and after the repairs the magnets wouldn't hold it down like it did. I now use a rubber band around the whole fuse! It's not very pretty, but in reality there's nothing pretty about these planes anyways, but boy they're a blast to play with!
Wait one!
MUS is a beauty.
Just like the hammer of the honky tonk gods (Fender Telecaster)
MUS was born at the junction of form and function.

I put colorful food grade rubber band on day one. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:26 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,379 Posts
Quote:
I ended up scratching one out of popsicle stick and it was a monster to get lined up right but I got a perfect fit and it even looks factory.

Quote:
Wait one!
MUS is a beauty.

Fender Tele! I'm a proud owner of a 50th anniversary American Tele Good analogy Wamp. I think they're both beauties
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,031 Posts
Quote:
I ended up scratching one out of popsicle stick and it was a monster to get lined up right but I got a perfect fit and it even looks factory.

Fender Tele! I'm a proud owner of a 50th anniversary American Tele Good analogy Wamp. I think they're both beauties
Before I go all ot, congrats on the 50th tele.
My bud got one, ( nope a 60th) I think it is May. Milky blond.
There are 12!
Every one should check out Bill Krisen (sp?)
On you tube. Search hammer of the honky tonk gods

Think Comander Cody.
Have 1981 52RI from the first production run from what became
the fender custom shop.
I PM ya later.
Love em MUS! Chris
Last edited by Wamp; Mar 01, 2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: error
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:54 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Wait one!
MUS is a beauty.

Chris, I'm not talking about the flying abilities of the MUS because it's an awesome flying plane. When I said it wasn't pretty, I was speaking of it's looks! The Ultra Stick has been around for many, many years and all the elders call it the Ugly Stick because that's what it used to be known as! The stick planes have been around for a long time and I don't believe Eflite even existed back when the Ultra Stick was first introduced. Eflite just picked up on a proven flyer and condensed it to a smaller electric version. If the plane had to sell on looks alone it would be a failure for sure because there's nothing pretty about it except the way that it flies!
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Last edited by oneagleswings; Mar 02, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Chris, I'm not talking about the flying abilities of the MUS because it's an awesome flying plane. When I said it wasn't pretty, I was speaking of it's looks! The Ultra Stick has been around for many, many years and all the elders call it the Ugly Stick because that's what it used to be known as! The stick planes have been around for a long time and I don't believe Eflite even existed back when the Ultra Stick was first introduced. Eflite just picked up on a proven flyer and condensed it to a smaller electric version. If the plane had to sell on looks alone it would be a failure for sure because there's nothing pretty about it except the way that it flies!
Ouch!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Well aware of ugly sticks with that ugly IMO vertical stab and no wing tips.
I find MUS easy on the eyes!
May not be as clean as a Dirty Bird.
But the form is fine.
Got to admit it took a little getting use to seeing a motor hanging out there in the air unprotected.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:27 AM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
504 Posts
Beauty

I did not buy the MUS for her looks. Actually, I should have been looking for more of a trainer. I've built three iterations of MUS derivatives because of her flying qualities, but I have to admit I think she is prettier now. Number 3 awaits her maiden flight.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluIIs View Post
I did not buy the MUS for her looks. Actually, I should have been looking for more of a trainer. I've built three iterations of MUS derivatives because of her flying qualities, but I have to admit I think she is prettier now. Number 3 awaits her maiden flight.
All pretty!
At first glance I thought the crashed unit was a build with swept wings!
#3 very pretty! Nice covering job.
Just did my first ultra coat this year.
Got learning to do.
Of note I do not miss dope! Nice work. Chris
Good luck on maiden!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:12 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,379 Posts
Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The MUS is a thing of beauty to me.

Blulls - awesome mods as always!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:10 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
04/14/2013...

...was a sad day for my Hot Rod MUS...sniff...sniff......

Seems that was her expiration date but neither she or I knew it. Was having a great time ripping her around at full speed down low when I got the idea to do a quick snap roll about 20' off the deck. Obviously, that wasn't a good idea at all... She went around 1-1/2 times instead of just one & ended up being inverted instead of upright. I did give full down (up) elevator but she continued to roll & then ended up pile driving into the landscape at damn near full speed......

Did the walk of shame, had a fellow pilot help me locate her out in the weeds & then we brought her back to the pits. What dreadful feeling. My first balsa plane, & my favorite one on top of all that, was now in ruins...or wait...was she really? To my amazement, only the fuselage had buckled behind the reinforced LG mod I made previously & the motor mount had separated from the front bulkhead.............

Could it be that this lil' gal could be saved to fly another day? More to follow after the repairs are finished......
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Apr 25, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:13 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...was a sad day for my Hot Rod MUS...sniff...sniff......

Seems that was her expiration date but neither she or I knew it. Was having a great time ripping here around at full speed down low when I got the idea to do a quick snap roll about 20' off the deck. Obviously, that wasn't a good idea after all... She went around 1-1/2 times instead of just one & ended up being inverted instead of upright. I did give full down (up) elevator but she continued to roll & then ended up pile driving into the landscape at damn near full speed......

Did the walk of shame, had a fellow pilot help me locate her out in the weeds & then we brought her back to the pits. What dreadful feeling. My first balsa plane, & my favorite one on top of all that, was now in ruins...or wait...was she really? To my amazement, only the fuselage had buckled behind the reinforced LG mod I made previously & the motor mount had separated from the front bulkhead.............

Could it be that this lil' gal could be saved to fly another day? More to follow after the repairs are finished......
Sorry to hear about the impact but glad to hear that it may not be that bad. Keep us posted. I know I'd be sad if (when) something happens to mine. Love the MUS!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:30 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Thanks for the...

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the impact but glad to hear that it may not be that bad. Keep us posted. I know I'd be sad if (when) something happens to mine. Love the MUS!
...condolences. I'll update the MUS Fans here about the repair work, which is actually almost done, & about how she flies.......

HeeBGB,
Did end up damaging the motor somehow as it won't run smoothly anymore no matter what the ESC timing is set at... So, I'm replacing the inboard GForce Power 10 motor with a more standard outboard Turnigy Park 480 style. The reasons are twofold: 1. I can go back to using the larger 3S 2200mAh packs for longer run times instead of the 1800 ones I was using & 2. It's the motor that I just happened to have on hand that I know will work......

Kinda disappointed since it's not going to be the same Hot Rod MUS of old but I'm figuring she'll still fly just fine. If not, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the bigger E-flite US 25e... Got a power system & servos salvaged from another damaged ship ready to go for that one just in case that wish becomes a reality......

Keep ya posted...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,031 Posts
Quote:
...condolences. I'll update the MUS Fans here about the repair work, which is actually almost done, & about how she flies.......

HeeBGB,
Did end up damaging the motor somehow as it won't run smoothly anymore no matter what the ESC timing is set at... So, I'm replacing the inboard GForce Power 10 motor with a more standard outboard Turnigy Park 480 style. The reasons are twofold: 1. I can go back to using the larger 3S 2200mAh packs for longer run times instead of the 1800 ones I was using & 2. It's the motor that I just happened to have on hand that I know will work......

Kinda disappointed since it's not going to be the same Hot Rod MUS of old but I'm figuring she'll still fly just fine. If not, I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the bigger E-flite US 25e... Got a power system & servos salvaged from another damaged ship ready to go for that one just in case that wish becomes a reality......

Keep ya posted...
Things are drying up and settling down here.
MUS time!
Good luck with the remaiden!
I am thing an Omega 103 from 3D hobby for a #2 MUS.
Nice and lite, yet power full and modesty priced. Chris
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:53 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,379 Posts
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the bigger E-flite US 25e... :
Holy smokes ! That's going to be crazy fast!

A buddy of mine just put a .10 on his and it's way nice. Chris (Wamp) is running a .10 as well I believe. I'm still running the 480 but you all have me wanting to hop her up. Maybe I'll wait to see how your 25 does and go extreme