HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:42 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
I did the tail wheel mod before even flying mine with the skid. It's a must have.

The tail wheel has enabled me to save it a couple of times from a limestone wall where I fly mostly.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
I did the tail wheel mod before even flying mine with the skid. It's a must have.

The tail wheel has enabled me to save it a couple of times from a limestone wall where I fly mostly.
Ditto! Street curbs are murder as are pot holes and bloody puddles, not to mention expansion cracks.
I have sheared nylon gear bolts after what I thought was a happy landing.
I found they do fatigu and even fresh ones give up too early!
Adding a third proved effective! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:30 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Ah....one fact to declare. I installed the supplied metal bolts to the landing gear from day one. I have never had a hard landing with this plane. Had over 200 flights on it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Ah....one fact to declare. I installed the supplied metal bolts to the landing gear from day one. I have never had a hard landing with this plane. Had over 200 flights on it!
My skills came up in the last couple of years!
Early on a 'fuse' looked like a good idea.
The nylon bolts have saved me, and let me down.
Most places I fly from are tight and rough.
Often my old stand by Park Zone F4F Wildcat belly lander works out.
Once the snow flys there will be a lot more room and time!
Have not tried skis on MUS yet.
Of note the F4F has the same power system (have been moving them around)
a MUS! Power 15,10 and the 480.
With all the throws I can get Wildcat is a blast!
MUS is nice and stiff, slows down better and is far easier to see!
Naturally better inverted.
Happy landings. Chris
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,036 Posts
Quote:
heh heh

I'm an advocate of the plastic 'shear' bolts, even though the one time they might have helped me, I was probably just too far gone: a few weeks ago, I was feeling froggy with the MUS, and since it was just me flying, I had been making a pass over the runway then flipping inverted and pulling a half loop to bring me low back low over the runway from the opposite direction.

After a while the timer went off, and I had the bright idea to use this transition right into a landing.

Well, I misjudged altitude required by about four inches, and pancaked in, tearing off the entire gear strut and it's support wood. I don't think those bolts could have saved me, might have just transfered energy to fuse.

As it is, I only needed to re-glue the support back, and it's been perfect since.

No more of those stupid moves, tho'!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
The cool thing is, this plane gave you the confidence to try those types of moves.

I took an opportunity for a fly yesterday afternoon under a threatening sky. Took only the MUS to the field. Got up quickly and was up for 4mins, when the heavens opened. Given my experience with this plane, I was able to come around downwind and get her on the deck and into my truck out of the rain all within 20 seconds. No way I could have done that with most of my other planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Flew my MUS yesterday & all I can say is WOW! What a difference in the flight characteristics. She loops, rolls, snaps & spins like a completely different plane...Gotcha! Heh, heh, heh... Only kidding...

Did fly her a bunch yesterday, though & the difference on the ground is like night & day. Tracks straight without even the slightest hint of fishtailing... Makes you wonder why it wasn't done this way at the factory... Anyway, just sharing more enthusiasm for the MUS Fans out there, plus I've posted a few pics as well...

Only part that didn't come out right (if you can call it that) is the tail wheel pivot arm isn't placed exactly on the rudder hinge line (left & right photos) so the articulation is not entirely equal to that of the rudder when pivoting. I did this because I wanted the "keeper" to sit & bear on the notch I made in the fuse & not on the rudder itself. Doesn't bind so there isn't any problem with servo overloading or with limiting rudder travel. Works great & I'm glad I went ahead & (finally) did it. Should've done it sooner by how well it works (on pavement)...

By the way, that wire loop on the underside is for an arresting gear to simulate carrier landings...NOT...... It's there as part of the wall-hanging system I made to store her in the hangar...err...garage...
Very nice! Knew you'd like it !
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
480 Question

Will the e filgith 480 bolt right up or do you have to mod the motormunt.

Thank you,

Waverunner
Waverunner is offline Find More Posts by Waverunner
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
The motor mount will need a simple modification for the 480. It is a 5 to 10 minute job and is very simple. I used the "X" motor mount that came with the 480, as a template. Just make sure you do it, before your glue the firewall in place. Much easier.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
The motor mount will need a simple modification for the 480. It is a 5 to 10 minute job and is very simple. I used the "X" motor mount that came with the 480, as a template. Just make sure you do it, before your glue the firewall in place. Much easier.
thanks, I had one of these planes a long time ago. I did not like the way it flew on the recommended set up.

What would your recommend with the 480 11 x 7 or a 11 x 5 prop.

Waverunner
Waverunner is offline Find More Posts by Waverunner
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Actually I have always used a 10x8E and has been a great mix of speed, torque and battery run time. Incidentally the 480 is the higher Kv option - 1020kv
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Actually I have always used a 10x8E and has been a great mix of speed, torque and battery run time. Incidentally the 480 is the higher Kv option - 1020kv
I have been happy with the 1020kv 480 and an APC 11X5.5 here at 1,500'
At 5,000' it took a 12X6 to get the same vertical performance.
Rain again on a day off. At this point I talk about flying more than it happens!
Should have put bats in stow! Chris
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
After a while the timer went off, and I had the bright idea to use this transition right into a landing.
'!
Split s landings from from 3 years ago......still my favorite way to land this plane.

Mini Ultra Stick with quad flaps (3 min 7 sec)
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
Split s landings from from 3 years ago......still my favorite way to land this plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clLMDWCYb4o[/url]
That's the manuever, all right!

Sorry to see the battery come loose at end, glad it was apparently an easy fix.

This plane inspires so much confidence that I find myself pushing the envelope a bit more than with my foamie warbirds and other planes.

Mostly it's great...sometimes... it hurts...
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Great Change of Pace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clLMDWCYb4o
GoldCraft,
Thanks for posting that video. Great idea for a not so typical landing. Gonna have to try that new fangled approach next time out...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R