HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2005, 09:36 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Freshly Baked Weasel

The recent spate of Weasel Pro posts inspired me to finish my replacement Weasel Pro. It's covered in fluro orange profilm (AKA oracover/ultracote), fluro green solarfilm and black solartex on the fuse. I used a light application of thinned goop on the wing prior to covering and over the top of the solartex on the fuse. Will repeat this over the tips/LE/nose before maiden.

I used a thin CF flat across the sub TE in order to help it to maintain shape during iron-on film application and this seems to have worked OK. The resulting drag spar seems to have added a bit of stiffness and torsional rigidity to the back of the wing.

I wanted to set up a tail arrangement that did not necessitate cutting the drag spar. The result is the somewhat odd looking contraption you see in the photos, which consists of a balsa fin with CF tube joined on to the side near the base and the tube/fin joint reinforced with some light glass. There's a piece of CF flat on the bottom to handle ground scrapes. The tail boom slides into a short section of a wider diameter CF tube embedded in the posterior of the fuse where the stock fin normally slides in...like some sort of carbon suppository. A friction fit was achieved using some 3M77 on the inner tube.

Have not done final balancing so do not have the AUW. Early indications are that a modest amount of nose weight will be required.

Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2005, 09:48 AM
Flying the Inland Valley
Murrieta, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,254 Posts
That looks Very interesting. I can't wait to here what the AUW is and how it flies.

Joe
joeskysailor is offline Find More Posts by joeskysailor
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:08 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Good looking Weasel Anton. I like the tail idea...interesting.

Chomp! LOL!!! Love that one...
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:11 AM
Joined Sep 2005
74 Posts
great covering job! the fin system is neat looking. wonder how that will affect the flying characteristics (more stable with the fin farther back like that?)
stansanders is offline Find More Posts by stansanders
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:38 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
When I read "It's covered in fluro orange profilm (AKA oracover/ultracote), fluro green solarfilm and black solartex on the fuse", I feared the worst, but amazingly it's not bad at all. I'm not really feeling that fin though, I'm concerned you might have some yaw stability issues at low speed. Maybe there's a way to do a two piece fin that slides over & below the drag spar? Or maybe make a larger fin than the one you've got currently? Just my $0.02, it will probably be fine.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:53 AM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
Very Cool, just not so sure about that antenna location
jdcook54 is offline Find More Posts by jdcook54
Old Oct 17, 2005, 01:11 PM
rational exuberance
USA, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Aug 2003
1,650 Posts
Let us know how it flies. Even though I love my weasel (no comments please ) I never really did like how the tail attaches, especially after a few (hundred) hard landings.

Duncan
Dunqun is offline Find More Posts by Dunqun
Old Oct 17, 2005, 04:36 PM
Santa Barbara/Ventura, California,
Joined May 2004
165 Posts
what a clean build, and hey it's a watermelon!!! needs seeds.
Rottenrob is offline Find More Posts by Rottenrob
Old Oct 17, 2005, 06:07 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
Yeah, the fin would work GREAT (not that it doesn't already..) if the carbon rod/tube you used was thicker, with the one you've got now its very easy to bend the fin in the wrong direction or have it break off. Just based on experience and how the picture looked. I personnally think the original weasel fin was the way to go with durability & "cuteness".
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
so how in the earth do you thin goop , i have got some shoo goo stuff , but havent been able to find a reasonable thinner..

cheers
doug
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:08 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
toulene, although I'm not sure you can get it in Australia, maybe under a different name?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:26 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Thanks for the appreciative comments. The covering is about as smooth as my skills can manage, but certainly not in the league of certain other individuals around here. It's difficult to get it uber-smooth on a WP as you typically don't want to add any weight with spackle or the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
When I read "It's covered in fluro orange profilm (AKA oracover/ultracote), fluro green solarfilm and black solartex on the fuse", I feared the worst, but amazingly it's not bad at all.
So, you prefer it to fluro pink and black, hey Steve? The colors were just what I happened to have "in stock". I also feared the worst and it wasn't until I'd finished it that I decided that it wasn't so bad!

Quote:
I'm not really feeling that fin though
Sure but believe me, my Weasel is feeling it right now!!

Quote:
I'm concerned you might have some yaw stability issues at low speed. Maybe there's a way to do a two piece fin that slides over & below the drag spar?
I share the same concerns. Yeah, I think I would try that next time.

Quote:
Or maybe make a larger fin than the one you've got currently?
And that too. Nevermind, the proof will be in the eating...er flying!

Justin - I used a 6mm (from memory) CF tube and 8mm as the 'suppository'. I think it will be OK strengthwise and will also take some knocks due to the carbon strip on the bottom and the natural flex of the suppository within the EPP posterior. We shall see.

JDCook - I have found that this antenna placement (short section coiled up within radio bay and remainder taped along rear of fuse with about 12 inches hanging at the back) has proven to work well with previous WPs. The Rx is a Schulze Alpha 435 which is more or less the same as the old Berg Micro Stamp, if I'm not mistaken.

Doug - I thin the shoe goo with Wattyl Slate Thinner, which contains mostly xylene. Works well.

A short note of caution to prospective Weasel builders: I am not endorsing the above mods at this stage. The best handling Weasel I've flown so far has been my original WP that was built totally stock (except I made a balsa fin) and covered in tape. This one may well fly great. But I'll be as surprised as anyone if it performs better than a stock build.

Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:25 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Yeah, interested in where your CG ends up + how much lead you need to add to nose and then lastly your all up weight.

I gotta say, the Weasel fin is its weak spot. I did it the way Michael said to - so did my buddy - and the tail had busted off within two weeks of flying for both of us. We were combating but... so what? I would prefer even something like the Alula fin on the Weasel... maybe that's what I'll try next time around. Maybe Mr. Richter has some ideas on this.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:32 PM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
Anton
I just thought you might want to move the antenna to the side of the fuse, it just seams a bit exposed to damage there.
jdcook54 is offline Find More Posts by jdcook54
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:44 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
I agree on the antenna, could scrape against the ground and cut it.