HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:09 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Cool
How difficult is it to hand launch the Beaver?

The answer is - you don't have to hand launch it. Just leave it in the air and it does the rest.

Lavneet Gyani and I went off yesterday to fly some electrics at my cousin's resort. Great day for flying and after the mandatory fun flys Lavneet decided to see how easy it would be to launch the Beaver. He started by just dropping it out of his hand at full throttle and ....well you can see all in the short video. He ended up by nonchalantly walking up to the plane, tossing it in the air and awayyyyy she went.

Let's let Lavneet tell us more about his experience

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2005, 07:10 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Wow! First time I ever saw that. Good job and nice video. Bill
Bill Lesko is offline Find More Posts by Bill Lesko
Old Oct 17, 2005, 07:34 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Thanks Bill. GWS has a really good product in this one. Even with stock setup it climbs out of your hands. We actually started out with our GWS fleet having a buddy run for about ten feet and do a javelin type throw in the air, and then as our confidence levels grew with the planes, we did our running launches ourselves. Finally - this. I don't think we can go any more static on a launch.

Another interesting launch yesterday was Lavneet shooting with a camcorder in his right hand and launching my Me109 with his left, shooting all the time. Amazing. Video to follow.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:03 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Here's the Messerschmit video.
Click here to watch Me109
Another excellent plane. I never cease to be amazed by the versatility and ease of flying of GWS planes. My favorites - in order - are:
Zero
Beaver
Beaver on Floats
Corsair
Me 109
Spitfire
Slow Stick

Still waiting to be built: (they're all sitting in a carton - a BIGGGG carton)
Mustang
Flying Pizza
PSC47 (twin brushless setup)
A10 (twin brushless setup)
Corsair Slope (1) {planned stock build with outrunner setup (1000 gms thrust)}
Corsair Slope (2) {planned build with flaps and retracts}
Spitfire Slope {planned build with glassing and brushless setup}
-and YET another Beaver

PS: Hey LG, I complete one year of RC flying on the 27th of this month
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:34 AM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,385 Posts
Hand launching your Beaver - a word of advice.

And funny story -

A newbie friend of mine (me also being relatively new) were helping another friend who had never touched a control stick fly his brand new GWS Beaver for the first time. We had learned on our own a few months earlier by throwing our Parkzone Cubs into the air in a large field and then practicing power off landings - just to get our confidence up that we would not totally wreck out planes. Our method was to toss and land a few times, then power on and fly up a little and land again. We figured if we had confidence we could land a stable high wing plane without power we would build up confidence we could kill the throttle, release the control stick, let the plane recover and then land once we got two mistakes high and wanted to bring the plane in. Worked for us, so now of course we were experts.

We had never seen the GWS Beaver before, as we were crashing GWS Corsairs and Zeros by that time, but were impressed with the light weight of the Beaver compared to the "old" PZ Cub. I told my "expert" buddy to give the Beaver a good hard toss, and then told the trainee to land it dead stick on our large concrete landing field, then we would work slowly up to powered flight. Unfortunately my expert buddy is a big guy, and when he hand tossed the plane the wings split right by the rubber band and ripped right off the fuselage and struts. The landing was not bad - given that the plane had no wings.

After we stopped laughing, we taped the wing back together and just let the newbie take off from the ground. His first flight he went straight up, went to level flight and did 4 level circuits of figure eights, about 5 loops, and did fly-by's right toward and by us, with a landing feather light to taxi within 3 feet of him.

Next day my expert buddy went out and bought a Beaver.

Rick
mechrick is offline Find More Posts by mechrick
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:37 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechrick
Hand launching your Beaver - a word of advice.
Rick
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Good one Rick!!! Can I relate to that or what!!!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:14 AM
Flyboy
Annapolis, Md
Joined Oct 2004
735 Posts
Doc, what motor, gear, prop and pack are you using in your Beaver and what is your AUW? Does it really roll that well without ailerons? Bill
Bill Lesko is offline Find More Posts by Bill Lesko
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:47 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lesko
Doc, what motor, gear, prop and pack are you using in your Beaver and what is your AUW? Does it really roll that well without ailerons? Bill
OK, Bill, the question has multiple answers .
My buddy, Lavneet, who's Beaver you see in the video, is running stock setup, 350 motor with a C gear, 10x4.7 prop with a 9.6V NiMh battery.
My Beaver is kitted with the same motor and gear, but I have a 3cell 910 maH 11.1V LiPo in it, so I put a 9x7 DD prop on it.
All up weight is between 320 to 340 gms (11.3 to 12 oz)
Rolls are near impossible without ailerons, but we've done practically everything else, loops, stall turns, spins, tight, as in really tight circle flights etc.
All in all, this is one heck of a plane. Love it.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
This battle scarred and poorly painted Beaver has well over 300 flights on it. It's highly reinforced with stock 350 and C gear, motor and gear box have been replaced a few times. It's ugly but flys like a champ and will do anything you ask it to.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:43 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin
This battle scarred and poorly painted Beaver has well over 300 flights on it. It's highly reinforced with stock 350 and C gear, motor and gear box have been replaced a few times. It's ugly but flys like a champ and will do anything you ask it to.
The Beaver is an awesome plane. The amount of abuse it will take is not funny. I fly mine on floats as well as on land and the only changes I have to make are the traditional switch from LG to floats and an innovative switch from tail wheel to ventral fin. An additional water rudder helps too.

Here's mine:
Old Oct 22, 2005, 06:14 AM
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
Joined Nov 2004
73 Posts
Thats how I take off with my beaver I just apply full throttle and drop my hand and it just climbs. LAnding can be done on a dead stick with ease. All I can say is thankyou GWS for such a great plane. It got me back into flying and I was landing and taking off the first day. My buddies with electric balsa trainers still can't take off or land without crashing. They are going GWS now.
outcastrc is offline Find More Posts by outcastrc
Old Oct 22, 2005, 09:02 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrc
Thats how I take off with my beaver I just apply full throttle and drop my hand and it just climbs.
This is one plane that can suffer from TOO much power. I have a 3cell 11.1V 910mAh Lipo in mine, powering the stock 350 C gear motor with a 9x7 DD prop. If I try to launch it with full throttle, it just leaps into the air and is pretty much uncontrollable, and only full down elevator keeps it in level flight. Takeoff is much smoother at half throttle and level flying at 3 clicks of elevator. Unbelievable.

With the added weight and drag of the floats, it still behaves like a trainer and with or without floats, slow speed handling is impeccable.

I completely endorse your observations about GWS making a fantastic product. Keep it up GWS.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Wow docrob, I'm amazed the motor doesn't burn up on three cells. I run a 2S 2100 and have power to spare. I run the stock 10X4.7 prop and can climb pretty steep, not verticle though.

I have only hand launched the Beaver maybe twice, I ROG from the street, sidewalk, or the strip at our local field. Never had a power problem yet except once when the gear box gave up on takeoff. I agree this thing dead sticks beautifully.

One things sure, everyone likes this plane.....
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)