HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:21 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,253 Posts
Clear Coat - Yay or Nay?

Thanks to Joe, JOe and Glenn I finally got my fuse painted a nice shiny red with Krylon primer and paint. Some rubbing compound and wax and it actually looks pretty nice. There's a TINY bit of orange peel texture, but I don't want to risk screwing it up by wet sanding.

Now, I have Krylon clear coat. Should I, or shouldn't I? If I do, and hints for the application? Or is it just like spray painting?

thanks!
Dominic
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:28 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
i havent had great luck with the clear coat from krylon... maybe its just me but its never really hardened for me... even doing the clear days after the initial paint and letting the clear dry FOREVER it just never kicked.... i would land and it would PULL the clear coat insted of giving a scratch it would gouge it...

i dont use it... but im very curious to hear what others have to say...

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:58 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,253 Posts
hmm, glad I asked...Would hate to screw up a weekend"s worth of painting!
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:26 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Its risky! You never know if another brand will have a reaction with it or not. Clear coat wont remove much peel if any. clear coat will allow you to sand out the peel if you put enough on. Then polish and its a showpiece. If you just clear you will probably just highlight any blemishes you have. I would leave it alone. If you ask me, I dont paint anymore. As little as possible. Paint is too tempermental, Varnish is the bomb! a little heavier but I can do a varnish finish on a plane start to finish in one day. With graphics.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
heck! Half a day!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:05 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,253 Posts
Varnish? I thought varnish was for wood? Tell us more!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:11 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Oh, so much to tell. It is pretty foolproof, comes in flat, satin, semi gloss, and gloss. Fills as good as any primer I have ever used, sands like butter, you can sand it in about 20 min. after spraying. You can make it really black or really white. You can paint over the top of it. It is very resilient, I clean my Dynamic off with laquer thinner sometimes. Did I say it dries in 20 mins?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:25 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
yeah, i was trippin out on Manor's Dynamic... all white varnish... killer job too... never tried it myself but would be a goood thing to try on some scrap or a craped out plane..

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:12 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
I've been wanting to share this with the community for a while:

This is Superfrog Frog Juice. We used it a lot when I was in the sign industry. It is a UV resistant clearcoat. It is extreemly versatile and easy to use. We used the rattle cans and paint cans (applied with foam brushes). I'm not sure how airplane application would be, so somebody has to experiment. I don't have a plane with a clearcoat application, or else I would. This product is available through most sign supply distributors and online.

Has anyone use this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrog Website
Frog Juice has multiple uses, there are so many things that it has been used on that we can't mention them all. When in doubt DO A TEST PIECE.
Frog Juice is very glossy. It is a relative to automotive clear. It is totally synthetic and will not yellow. It does not require a hardener or catalyst. It achieves maximum hardness slowly over a period of 30 days, yet is ready to handle and place outdoors in 30 minutes.
It might dry too brittle for EPP application... we'll know in 30 days.
jludwick is offline Find More Posts by jludwick