HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:19 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
HoneyBee cp2 head was sticking. Yo YO!

I got my Hbee cp2 yesterday and have been having to fight the wind with it. Today while flying it would spin on the ground and then rocket up. No biggy it's new. It'd fly just fine and then the wind would loft it decreasing pitch would bring it back and then increasing pitch may or may not arrest the decent before it touched down followed by an immediate rocket trip. After I dinged the blades while it was being blown sideways and not responding to increasing pitch. I finally realised I needed to fix that crap.

On disassembly it was noted that the center part of the rotor head set was binding badly on the outer arms (see pic below). It appears like the post. that goes into the holes on the outer arms (red arrows) was the right size until a screw was inserted which swaged the post out too tight.

Sanding would leave a cone shaped post or a cone shaped hole in the arms or both.

The answer was to press a #27 drill bit shank into the hole in each arm. squeeze the arm like it was a ball link until the arm will slide up and down the drill bit shank without much work. DOn't try to get it too loose as that may make it sloppy. Don't try and drill it as that could give unexpected results, and replacement parts seem NIS most every where.

End result was a nice smooth head. Well likely as smooth as its gonna get with no bearings in that location.

I'm pretty sure it would wear in in time, but I hate dinged blades.

To test if you need to do this mod straighten the blades front to tail and give the flybar a little flick up or down. If it traveled all the way to the other extreme it would likely be a waste of time. Another test would be to advance the aft most blade to have the trailing edge over the tail boom (fly bar still perpindicular) if the fly bar tilts towards the off axes blade you surely don't need to bother. if you give the machine throttle and it just sits there and then acts like it's food dish is on the ceiling this is probably for you.

*later edit*
Just tried it out wind was only 6mph it proved to need some work on the center head as it was still sticking. I put some assembly lube (real slick and sticky) and the problem was completly gone. don't know how long the lube will last. Or what to do to make it permanent.

Dissassembly to do this is pretty easy. It looks a lot harder than it is. If I'm not the only one affected by this let me know and I'll give a blow by blow on it.

Sorry no real pictures, wife is on a trip and camera is with her.
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Last edited by swatson144; Oct 16, 2005 at 08:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2005, 09:07 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
After it all got straight I had to redo my pitch curves. Seems kinda hard to set them when the collective sticks like that.
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144