SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:19 PM
Lands in Trees
Charlotte, NC
Joined Sep 2005
120 Posts
How secure does the canopy have to be?

I was just trying to make the canopy/"cockpit" of my EasyGlider stay on, since I had to remove the original, ingenious closing mechanism due to the placement of the battery. Some velcro in the right spot made it almost impossible to get the canopy off again (I deformed the EPP considerably trying to get it off). I also went through some intermediate configurations that barely held it in place, and only required very little force to remove it.

So I started wondering how much force the canopy has to withstand. I'm thinking mostly of the lift that is generated in that area, and perhaps the pressure from the air that's flowing in around the motor. I guess the weight of the canopy is not an issue, not even in inverted flight.

I'm not worried, since nothing will fall out even if the canopy should come off in flight, and it looks like I have found the right balance between securing the canopy and getting it off without too much effort. But I'm just wondering ...
treelander is offline Find More Posts by treelander
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:27 PM
I Like Traffic Lights
Planet Earth
Joined Jul 2005
23 Posts
On my GWS Formosa, the canopy fell off during flight, and i really didnt notice that much of a difference, its just looking for a canopy after a flight isnt much fun
Branjo is offline Find More Posts by Branjo
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:29 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
For something that is relatively slow flying, I've used Scotch Tape to hold thin plastic canopies or cowls on my park flyers before. Never had one come off on it's own.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
Maybe tape on the front edge and a Radio Shack (or other source) rare earth magnet pair on the back edge.
Works for me on slower flying planes.
Crash
crashsiegel is offline Find More Posts by crashsiegel