HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by stockguru, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:54 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined Sep 2003
15 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Found
Hitec tx crystal trade...possible buy

Hey gang. I have a channel 13 xtal in my Hitec Focus 4 that I've been using even though the tx says channel 16 on the back. I read on the forums that you should use the xtal that your tx is tuned for. Plus, it sounds illegal..?!? I bought the tx used on Ebay a year ago and just realized this. I guess the prior user was a crystal swapper! Thus, I will trade my 13 tx xtal straight up for a channel 16 tx xtal.

Let me know if you can help me out. Thanks!
stockguru is offline Find More Posts by stockguru
Last edited by stockguru; Oct 16, 2005 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2005, 05:43 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined Sep 2003
15 Posts
Anyone know of a crystal exchange? I got duped and need some help! aaaaaaah...
Old Oct 16, 2005, 05:49 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
Here ya go !
http://members.aol.com/davthacker/ra...alexchange.htm
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old Oct 16, 2005, 08:16 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined Sep 2003
15 Posts
Cool! Thanks a bunch, Stirling. I'll check that out.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 04:33 AM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Don't know a whole lot about this, but I have read and heard a few things. It's possible the previous owner had the crystal changed and the transmitter re-tuned to the new crystal. (As I understand it, many if not all transmitters are factory tuned to the middle of the band.) If you change the crystal you're supposed to make sure it's within the tuning limits of the transmitter (or something like that) to make it legal and the only way most of us would be able to do that is have a professional tune the transmitter. So it's possible that transmitter came with a channel 16 crystal but was later tuned for channel 13. If you do swap the crystals, at the very least you ought to do a full range check, and at most have the tuning checked. (Your LHS probably can give you more info about radio tuning and where to get it done then I can.) I think that radios can get out of tune over time too.
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old Oct 17, 2005, 04:58 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
It does violate FCC regulations to change the transmit frequency (Unless you are a licensed repair station).
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Closed Thread