SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2005, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2005
142 Posts
Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D EP

Has anyone tried the U Can Do 3D EP plane from Great planes? What's it like? Is it really as hardy as they make out?
darren.karp is offline Find More Posts by darren.karp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2005, 04:39 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
Hi Darren,

Is the super-flexible all foam model, with the zip-up battery compartment? If so, I've seen the components folded double and stood on the model shop, so it looks like the sort of model that your kids will inherit in later years!

Not a trainer though, I'd guess.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 15, 2005, 09:58 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
I have one. It is my second one - I left the first one in the car on a hot day and the seams melted and several parts warped. I bought the second one because it is so much fun to fly.

It is not necessarily a good first aircraft because it is a bit fast and aerobatic, but it is a good first aerobatic type plane because it is not horribly fast and it is pretty durable. If you are good on a simulator with aerobatic planes, than this is a good first plane. I have let a couple of the experienced pilots in the club fly it and they enjoyed it - it has some good habits. The stock power system is well suited for the airframe, but it is not overpowered (something that a lot of experienced pilots like).

Most of the criticism I have heard involves the problem of the wings and fuselage flexing too much in flight.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:33 AM
Corona, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2004
30 Posts
I broke mine on the first flight, and every subsequent flight after glueing back together. Far from unbreakable.
TommyBurger is offline Find More Posts by TommyBurger
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:45 AM
Joined Sep 2005
142 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I and others would really benefit from a description of the crash and the subsequent repair attempt. Do you have pictures as well?

Thanks
Darren
darren.karp is offline Find More Posts by darren.karp
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:54 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
I'm the one tim refers to as folding it double in the model shop, and yes i stamped on the cowl too. Dont be fooled as no model is unbreakable. But this is one tough cookie. The model is a 3D trainer! and as such is designed for practicing 3D manouvers such as Prop hanging, High alpah manouvers, harrier rolls etc. These are practised low to the ground and at low airspeeds. Make a mistake at these speeds and apart from a bent motor shaft and a broken motor stick (the only bit of wood in the model) I haven't witnessed any other damage. Smash it into the ground vertical from fifty foot at full throttle and a bin bag will be needed just like any other lightweight 3D model. No way is this the best model I have flown for flying 3D manouvers but its fun tough and a good laugh especially when you demonstrate how the fuselage will bend 90 degrees against the wall indoors! (oops!
)

Hope this clarifies things a little
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Oct 16, 2005, 06:17 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
The actual damage that I have seen is that the linkages on the undersides of the control surfaces have been ripped off when coasting to a stop in tall grass.

I have stripped out the spur gear, but they sell replacements at my LHS.

I have chipped a prop coasting to a stop on asphalt - the stock prop saver has saved many a prop though.

I have been doing most of my practise several mistakes high, but the few low stunts have survived some impressive impacts. If you are learning 3D or aerobatics, this is a great ARF.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member