Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
AXI electric motor problem

Hi,

I have a model motors Axi 2212/34 which has been flying trouble free for a year. The plane landed heavily on its nose a short time ago but didn't seem to break anything. However, whilst the prop shaft is straight and true it seems to be a little stiff. Sometimes the prop will freewheel once spun with a finger, most times it will not.

I'm going to lube the thing with WD40 but can anyone tell me if it should go way for inspection/repair?

thanks
slowstick4ap is offline Find More Posts by slowstick4ap
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:12 AM
Giz
Tony Rogers
Bath, UK
Joined Sep 2003
2,189 Posts
I assume that you are spinning it over by hand, disconnected from the ESC? If this is the case, make sure that none of the motor wires are touching each other. If they are, the motor will act as a generator and will have considerable resistance. When the wires are not touching, it will spin more easily.

If this is not the cause, perhaps you have got some dirt in the motor from the crash?
Giz is offline Find More Posts by Giz
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
Thanks Tony. I didn't know that about the wires touching but have Deans connectors on anyway. I pulled the motor out and sprayed some lens cleaner into it (probably not the best thing to do) but it seems to have freed things up for the moment. Like you say, was probably a bit of dirt from the crash.

thanks
slowstick4ap is offline Find More Posts by slowstick4ap
Old Oct 15, 2005, 05:45 PM
Will Crash for Food...
Orange County, CA
Joined Apr 2002
419 Posts
A bit of dirt in the bearings can play havoc with the motor. Make sure you check the bearings for dirt after every nose in crash. I've had a couple of motors that ran like junk after a good nose in (and those are way too frequent).

Clean 'em out with bearing cleaner, then lube 'em back up and your motor will last just about forever, barring any other crash damage.

Blackwood
Mighty Dingus is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Dingus