SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 15, 2005, 02:10 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,259 Posts
Stika vinyl cutter

I recently purchased a Stika SX12 cutter and I'm looking for a good easy to use software for it. I'm using the bundled stika software but I find it a bit odd. I'd like to find something that's as easy as word. Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2005, 09:09 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Hey Jim give SignGo Lite a try at http://www.signgo.com/ It unleashed the real power of my 24" Creations Cutter and is very easy to use. Best part it is very well priced and works with almost every cutter.

I use the Lite version all the time in setting up magnetic signs. Made a template and just cut and paste from Illy.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 09:14 AM
Registered User
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
I do all my work in Corel Draw 12 and then cut n paste into my sign software.
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:59 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,259 Posts
starcad,

Thanks for the link, I spent some time going over the software and it looks like it'll fit the bill. I'll download the trial version very soon.

RCheroske,

I know very little about Corel Draw, but I bet it's costly?

Thanks guys,
Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 09:22 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-Air
starcad,

Thanks for the link, I spent some time going over the software and it looks like it'll fit the bill. I'll download the trial version very soon.

RCheroske,

I know very little about Corel Draw, but I bet it's costly?

Thanks guys,
Jim
No problem Jim, I had a Stika for several years doing local model projects and finally made enough from it to buy a 24" cutter. We only do magnetics now. If you have any cutting questions or problems you may want to have a look at Signforums as they have the best sign cutters from around the world on that forum.

You can use Illy or Coral Draw for your graphics both are at a price that is a little prohibitive if your not using it for business. There is also PaintShopPro and I've heard of some people at swapmeets using this software with cutters. I however have not tried that yet but it may be worth it just to see what it will do.

Best of luck with you new cutter and don't forget the guys at the club, they'll all be wanting graphics.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 01:30 PM
Do it AGAIN! This time BETTER!
ThermalThief's Avatar
WA
Joined Jan 2005
461 Posts
Don't give up on Corel to fast. vers 9 can be had through ebay for hardly anything and the benefits down the road are worth the initial investment and learning curve. The old pen printer drivers (i think it was the HPGL) can be used to drive the cutter. Those drivers are FREE

Ken
www.TGSdesigns.com
ThermalThief is offline Find More Posts by ThermalThief
Last edited by TGSDESIGNS; Oct 20, 2005 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 01:23 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Can any of you guys reccomend a vinyl cutter for the "hobbyist?"

I am a bit tired of running to the sign shop and paying $15 or more a pop for some stickers.. Thought about maying trying to get my own..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I have run Autocad designs through a vinyl plotter numerous times now. Use only the plotter driver, but call up for PRINT via the left hand pull down box. I know of two kit manufacturers here locally that are doing the stick-ons using both Corel Draw and Acad LT and then including the work into their retail kit boxes.

For them, they only use the driver portion of the vinyl plotter.

There is also a vinyl plotter forum on the internet to which I run across every so often. I have a standard pen plotter to which I need knives, and a fellow anong the easter seaboard sells then there. Unfortunately, he only seems to make up a stock of them, sell them to friends, and I do not find out until days after they are all gone.

If you want a cheap one, obtain a plotter. Run the sheets of vinyl through once for the ink work (need to use mylar ink here too), then through a pen plotter for the cutting out. If you are good (and cheap) the same sheet of vinyl can be run though time after time, printing then cutting in bare areas. You need to carfully loacte and rotate the artwork to do this though.

Will save you many, many trips downtwn to the sign shop. Overall it may be more time comsuming, but it certainly is cheaper.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:24 PM
Model Bender
OzDragonFlyer's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
Weird that this topic popped up at this time.

I've just added a vinyl cutting knife to my large cnc router and am totally hooked.. and I was also given enough vinyl offcuts to last me a for some time which is even better

Ebay has a some Creation cutters at reasonable prices.. How good are these? I noticed most of the major software supports them so they must be ok?
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 09:53 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber
I have run Autocad designs through a vinyl plotter numerous times now. Use only the plotter driver, but call up for PRINT via the left hand pull down box. I know of two kit manufacturers here locally that are doing the stick-ons using both Corel Draw and Acad LT and then including the work into their retail kit boxes.

For them, they only use the driver portion of the vinyl plotter.

There is also a vinyl plotter forum on the internet to which I run across every so often. I have a standard pen plotter to which I need knives, and a fellow anong the easter seaboard sells then there. Unfortunately, he only seems to make up a stock of them, sell them to friends, and I do not find out until days after they are all gone.

If you want a cheap one, obtain a plotter. Run the sheets of vinyl through once for the ink work (need to use mylar ink here too), then through a pen plotter for the cutting out. If you are good (and cheap) the same sheet of vinyl can be run though time after time, printing then cutting in bare areas. You need to carfully loacte and rotate the artwork to do this though.

Will save you many, many trips downtwn to the sign shop. Overall it may be more time comsuming, but it certainly is cheaper.

Wm.
I tried that several years ago Bill and it didn't work on my large format plotter. Not enough pen down pressure for the knife. You couldn't adjust the blade depth or the offset and so the vinyl wouldn't cut and the knife just scratched the surface of the vinyl. I finally sold the blade to a guy in California that had a plotter that had the pressure to push the knife through. Really no need to ink the plot first unless you using colors to color the image as weeding is a simple process that only takes a few minutes.

Wish I just had one of those Cutter/Plotters but the cost right now is more than I want to pay.

Guy
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:01 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer
Weird that this topic popped up at this time.

I've just added a vinyl cutting knife to my large cnc router and am totally hooked.. and I was also given enough vinyl offcuts to last me a for some time which is even better

Ebay has a some Creation cutters at reasonable prices.. How good are these? I noticed most of the major software supports them so they must be ok?
Hey Oz, the Creation is a great cutter for a low priced system. It comes with SignMax which I found rather buggy for the price and the price for the upgrade. I finally swiched to SignGo and have now upgreaded to a Grabber cutter and am now using there software. The Creation is now doing all the light work and the Grabber does all the heavy stuff. We're using both as we started selling decals at several art shows and feistivals here in the local area. I refuse to do swap meets as that is a real pain in the rear. If your looking for a cutter that will do decals and small banners then the Creation Cutter will work. Just replace the software with SignGo or SignGoLite.

Cheers
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:05 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGSDESIGNS
Don't give up on Corel to fast. vers 9 can be had through ebay for hardly anything and the benefits down the road are worth the initial investment and learning curve. The old pen printer drivers (i think it was the HPGL) can be used to drive the cutter. Those drivers are FREE

Ken
www.TGSdesigns.com
Gees Ken wish you would have posted this a year ago. I was at one of the Albertsons Stores in Spokane doing a remodel then. I'd have bought coffee and breakfast.

Guy
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Hey Bill try CleanCut Blades I've bought blades here before and am planning on having him design a blade for me that will cut balsa and FFF.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:16 AM
Do it AGAIN! This time BETTER!
ThermalThief's Avatar
WA
Joined Jan 2005
461 Posts
Sorry i missed out...though i would rather be in your parts this time of year.

Ken
www.TGSdesigns.com
ThermalThief is offline Find More Posts by ThermalThief
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:55 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
starcad's Avatar
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,004 Posts
Haha! I was up there for 3 months and only saw the Sun ounce. All the other time it was cloudy or at night. I did get to go see the Spruce Goose and Mt. St. Helens along with several of the covered bridges in the area. Lovely place to visit.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stika SCP-85 Vinyl Cutter stegre The Builders Workshop 4 Mar 21, 2005 03:19 PM
Vinyl cutter for making airbrush masks? mluniewicz The Builders Workshop 6 Mar 21, 2005 03:13 PM
Need software for a stika vinyl cutter scp85 tbstep Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jan 27, 2003 11:43 AM