Looks like HH has introduced a new heli -

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLH1200

What doi y'all think?
jschenck is offline Find More Posts by jschenck
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:21 PM
Joined Sep 2005
13 Posts
saw the demo video yesturday at the shop....looks alot easier to fly since you have to tail motor to control....basic manuvers...no inverted flight or fancy tricks show on the video.....when they got to standard Blade cp
....they showed it inverted, and couple other tricks...

Looks like its a good beginner heli
rcguy76 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy76
Old Oct 14, 2005, 06:51 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
Main Rotor Diameter: 13.60 in (345mm)

A LOT smaller disk than the Blade CP. Look how small it is next to the transmitter on their web page that was linked above. This might be the indoor flyer I have been looking for!

Cool looking body too, in 2 pieces. I guess battery access is via the front compartment that they show removed in the 2nd picture down on the left.

A quick question though, does the coaxial design totally stabilize the heli or is tail input still required? In other words would this give someone some tail training even with the lack of a tail rotor?
docprego is offline Find More Posts by docprego
Last edited by docprego; Oct 14, 2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 07:36 PM
So. Cal. USA
Joined Jun 2005
428 Posts
Way cool.. Wonder if you can go separates with it.
Tafletch is offline Find More Posts by Tafletch
Old Oct 14, 2005, 08:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
....they showed it inverted, and couple other tricks...

that thing flys inverted?
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Oct 14, 2005, 08:08 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
More info here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424524

Actually, there is really absolutely no performance advtanage/improvement by going seperates with a model like this...its as capable as a model of this nature can be with all the included equipment and flies fantastic just as it is out of the box!

Doc -

Coaxial, counter-rotating (aka: contra-rotating) blades cancel out the rotational torque that typically requires the use of a tail rotor on single-rotor helicopters. By increasing the speed of one rotor over the other the model can still "yaw" about the main shaft, and a gyro is still used to aid in yaw control/stability. It does require some tail input from time to time due to slight variations in aerodynamic loading of the upper/lower main rotor blades.

The coaxial blades also create a gyroscopic effect that causes the model to be inherently stable...if you dont touch the aileron or elevator cyclic input it will hover entirely on its own! Seriously, we often set the transmitter down during demos and let the model fly itself...its almost uncanny how stable it truly is (though it does still require some minimal throttle/rudder input to maintain a completely stationary hover). Hence the reason it is nicknamed the "Ready-for-anyone-To-Fly" micro heli

While the BCX is by far one of the best models available for first time pilots, its also one the best models for experienced pilots looking for a true "indoor" helicopter with full control to sharpen their skills (it can of course also be flown outdoors in calm conditions). I use it to practice my backward flying in the basement or living room, and its also a great tool for practicing your nose in hovering, forward flight, etc skills in smaller areas that the Blade CP just cant be flown in comfortably. Lots of current BCP owners and experienced heli pilots all agree they will have a BCX for sharpening their skills indoors during the winter months and on bad weather days!

The battery is installed through an opening in the back of the rear body section. It can easily be swapped in and out very quickly without removing the forward body/canopy section at any time.

For those interested in an even deeper sneak peek, you can download the manual for the BCX here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLH1200

And find the spare and option parts listings on these pages:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...g&SubCategory=

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...s&SubCategory=

Hope you guys like the body...I really dig it though some might think Im a bit biased

No, this model can not be flown inverted (it is fixed pitch of course ). The demo video shops have on hand now does show the BCX being flown forward, backward, hovering and more with a quick section of the Blade CP being flown both upright and inverted.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Oct 14, 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:00 PM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
Thanks Jason, a very interesting heli. I saw that picture of it in someones hand and it sure is smaller than the BCP! I have looking for an indoor flyer for some time but none seemed to be ideal, I think this could be it.

Jason while I have you, a few more questions:

Is the transmitter the same one that comes with the BCP? I know the BCX is 4 channel and the BCP is 6 but is it the same otherwise? Does it have the LED battery meter that is so convenient on the BCP transmitter?

Will there be any enhancements offered besides the motor heatskinks and compound? Higher capacity batteries for example?

Also how has durability been on that body, it looks great but I wonder how it will stand up to the usual micro heli mishaps.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:22 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego
Thanks Jason, a very interesting heli. I saw that picture of it in someones hand and it sure is smaller than the BCP! I have looking for an indoor flyer for some time but none seemed to be ideal, I think this could be it.
I think I know whos hand that was

Quote:
Jason while I have you, a few more questions:

Is the transmitter the same one that comes with the BCP? I know the BCX is 4 channel and the BCP is 6 but is it the same otherwise? Does it have the LED battery meter that is so convenient on the BCP transmitter?
Yes, the TX case is essentially the same, however it is indeed a 4 channel unit. As you can possibly see in the photos, the LED battery meter is also the same.

Quote:
Will there be any enhancements offered besides the motor heatskinks and compound? Higher capacity batteries for example?
There are no plans for higher capacity batteries as duration with the stock pack is approximately 10-15 minutes, plus you will be able purchase additional packs for around $28. Also, higher capacity (ie - physically larger) packs will not fit inside of the cool looking body

Quote:
Also how has durability been on that body, it looks great but I wonder how it will stand up to the usual micro heli mishaps.

Thanks again.
The body is actually quite durable (In fact, the entire model is!). In the event that it is damaged, it is easily and readily repaired using CA or tape. Replacent forward body, rear body and complete body sets/parts will also be available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,177 Posts
Well thats just plain ssweet Maybe I should shelf my blade till I can get one of those to train on.
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:12 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
How much smaller is it than the blade?Would the fuse fit on the blade?
nstaller is offline Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:33 PM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Jan 2005
575 Posts
Hirobo XRB, Modified...
NilesOwen is offline Find More Posts by NilesOwen
Old Oct 15, 2005, 01:41 AM
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Mar 2000
435 Posts
It is a lot smaller than the Blade. Here are the dimensions:

Blade CP
Main Rotor Diameter: 20.750 in (527mm)
Tail Rotor Diameter: 5.875 in (149mm)
Gross Weight: RTF w/Ni-MH battery 11.4 oz (325 g)
Length: 20.625 in (524mm)

Blade CX
Main Rotor Diameter: 13.60 in (345mm)
Tail Rotor Diameter: There is no tail rotor
Gross Weight: RTF w/Li-Po battery, 8.0 oz (227 g)
Length: 15.75 in (400mm)

I do not think the fuse would fit the stock Blade CP at all, though I am sure someone will mod it to fit anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 03:58 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
The Blade CX body set will not fit the Blade CP. It is a fair amount smaller, and even if modified to fit, it wouldnt look right at all.

Also, it might be helpful not to reference just "Blade" anymore...it should probably be Blade CP (BCP) or Blade CX (BCX) so that everyone knows which model is being refferring to
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2005, 08:58 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
I bet the pilots over in Muti Rotor Helis would like to know about this.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:45 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
I bet the pilots over in Muti Rotor Helis would like to know about this.
And that's where this thread is headed...
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara