HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2002, 01:44 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Firebird II Speed Wing for 1st Semi-Scratch Build?

I've reached the point now where I have read enough and built enough kits to have a whole bunch of great ideas that I'd like to combine in one aircraft. The only way to do this is to scratch build, as no kits currently available have all of the features that I want. The only thing that I am not confident about building from scratch is the wing. I'd like to start with a ready-built wing with a proven design, and then replace it later with something that I've built up myself.

Every time I walk through any of my LHSs, I always see the Firebird II red speed wing for less than $10. This is exactly the size wing that I have in mind for a simple, small pusher powered by a direct drive GWS IPS motor with 3x2 GWS prop and 2-cell Qualcomm 830 Li-ion pack. Just wondering if anyone has ever used this wing on anything other than a Firebird, and what you think of its performance. I'm sure there are other wings available by mail order from other sources. But I'd prefer the ease of just picking one of these up at the LHS unless it is a total loser.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2002, 04:29 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Dave,

Run ..... don't walk to your car ...... crank it, check for traffic, and press the gas pedal firmly to the floor and drive to the LHS and buy the wing. Heck .... buy 2 of them just for the heck of it.

Life's to short to worry about if things work or not. If that wing will fly the FB II ..... it'll handle what you want it to do.

Just do it ..... then take pics and share your success story with us!
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old May 17, 2002, 04:41 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
You know that is how I began scratch building 12 years ago. I was a kid without a job, no money what-so-ever, and would take any hand me down piece of junk I could get my hands on and build something out of it. I don't know how many planes I built where I just kept changing wings and used the same fuse. It is a great way to explore the hobby. Wings are the hardest part so if you can get one that is already built and proven to fly well, then the rest is easy. If I had known to build quick foamies back then I would have had an airforce of planes in my garage. My Dad would have been even more frustrated with my junk taking up space in his garage
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old May 17, 2002, 04:56 PM
Joined Apr 2001
105 Posts
I beat you to it! I bought a couple of Firebird II speed wings. I built a V-tailed Hotliner (Luke-warm-liner?) styled balsa fuse, built up tail surfaces, econocote covering, to HS55s, Hitec feather, GWS esc and IPS from my Litestick. I have used the QCs and 8x300nimh for batteries. All up weight came to 7 ounces. A bit heavier than I would have liked but it is very strong. I used 1/16 fuse sides, 1/32 cross grain top and bottom. I used the gearbox with the 9x7 GWS prop. It flies fast enough but has no vertical performance - it barely loops. I have been meaning to try going direct with the 3x2 props to see if the performance is a bit more exciting. The wing is great - not much flexing in flight, looks good, very durable. I think if I get the pitch speed up it will be a favorite plane. I might also try a lower (higher prop rpm) gear set on the IPS. Try it have fun, I did! Be sure to let us know how it turned out. I will see if I can get a picture of my plane (I call it the Stickfire) to post.
steve262 is offline Find More Posts by steve262
Old May 17, 2002, 05:03 PM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
Go for it!

I am building a simple stik design for one right now. I thought they were a great deal. Its a 'hot' airfoil so make sure you design it to fly fairly fast.

My design will be a mini-hotliner with an Orion Elite motor and a CF boom. I figger I'll have less than 30 bux in airframe/motor/prop.

David
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old May 18, 2002, 09:26 AM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
anyone have any pictures??
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old May 19, 2002, 09:43 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Great input. I'll go ahead and buy one on my next trip to one of the local LHSs. I want to build as light as possible so that the direct drive IPS motor with 3x2 prop will create enough thrust at part throttle to keep it in the air at lower speeds, but with the capability to fly fairly fast at full throttle.
Old May 20, 2002, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2001
105 Posts
OK here is a picture of my luke-warm-liner. I think the firebird II speedwing has a lot of potential. I bought two. Maybe a speed 400 version next? Or a Biplane......
Old May 20, 2002, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
no pic steve ..... repost please and share your plane with us!

Dave ..... did you build anything .... I'm really interested in knowing how it turned out.
Old May 20, 2002, 05:14 PM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
It's 'on the board' and I will share pix when I can borrow a camera.

The first spine structure that holds the wing and gear to the boom (a la Lite-Stik and that indoor micro-racer) was too fragile. I am redesigning/rebuilding it now when I get some time.

The motor is an Orion Elite Stock motor - kinda like a torquey Johnson 250 and I plan on spinning an APC 4.5x4.1 or a CAM 4.7x2.3 with 6c 270 Nicads and hoping for 3-4 amps. The flight pack is GWS with the lil bitty RX and servos.

I was hoping foir this to be a high-tech looking parkflyer that can thermal on a good day.

David
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old May 20, 2002, 05:20 PM
Joined Apr 2001
105 Posts
Oops! Sorry this was my first try to post a picture and it was to high a resolution picture to be allowed to upload. That Nikon Coolpix is almost too good sometimes. I hope it posted this time...
Old May 20, 2002, 05:23 PM
Joined Apr 2001
105 Posts
OK it posted but it is HUGE, how do I prevent that? Sorry to be so inept at loading pictures...
Old May 20, 2002, 05:32 PM
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Steve,

It looks good!

On pics .... I use a pice of freeware called IrfanView that allows me to resize my pctures to smaller sizes. I'm not familiar with the software that comes with the CoolPix, but I bet you can resize pictures in there somewhere. If not .... get IrfanView from the web and use it ... its really nice.

Thanks for sharing.
Old May 20, 2002, 05:51 PM
Joined Apr 2001
105 Posts
David,
I think you are going in the right direction with the Orion motor. It should be pretty hot. With the IPS-A and the 9x7 prop my design covers a lot of ground in a hurry with the 8x300 nimhs. With more power it should be a blast. I ended up having to add a 1/4 ounce of lead to the nose because I didn't consider that the way I designed my motor mount would prevent getting the battery as far forward as I would have liked. If your Orion motor works well with the wing I will try one on my plane which will allow me to get rid of the extra nose weight.
Old May 20, 2002, 09:20 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Steve, that is a nice-looking aircraft. I think you may have picked up one of the ideas that I found and liked -- did you run your pushrods through the body and out a hole right at the rear of the fuse to connect with the v-tail? I first saw that on a Polo, and thought it was really tidy.

Emoone, I am a long way from building this. I have several boxed kits that haven't been started; I have one I am in the middle of building; and I have two that I am in various stages of rebuilding. Unfortunately, I also have a job that takes more than 8 hours a day and lot of family responsibilities infringing on my model-building time!