HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:33 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Beginner's S400 Racer: Should I build from plan or buy ARF?

Hi, I have never flown anything faster than 40mph. Something easy to launch and land. Something that uses S400 motor and KAN1050 cells. What plan/kit/ARF would you recommend?

After reading the wonderful plan of Sargeant's S400 Racer, I feel encouraged to build one. Mind you I have not built from plan before.

I also notice there's a few kits or ARF available online in the $100 mark.

Appreciate different viewpoints, thanks.
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo
Last edited by rkhoo; Oct 12, 2005 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:21 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,299 Posts
Shoot for a the largest wing area you can find. The speed won't be a problem for you (the throttle works both ways), but the handling might. If you build, go at least 140 sq. in., 160 being preferred. I don't know if the Micron is still available, but it might be a good choice for you.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:55 PM
Providence, RI
Joined May 2001
380 Posts
You might have a look at Esprit models "Demon" or perhaps the "Zombie". I just purchased a Demon and have yet to build it but the quality is very nice and there is little left to do . If you are intersted I can shoot some pics of what it looks like out of the box. I was basically looking for the same thing you were and I liked the looks of this, although I do have experience flying somewhat fast models I don't think this one will be tough to fly, the web site says: "Looks like a hotliner, flies like a trainer. Use regular Speed 400 set-up for really good performance or go brushless for hot performance." Of course I went with the brushless setup but it is very light and should perform well on a 400 and the KAN 1050's should fit.
here's a link.
www.espritmodel.com/hotliner_demon.html

Scott
exempt is offline Find More Posts by exempt
Old Oct 13, 2005, 05:31 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
The Simple 400 makes an excellent stepping stone into faster S400 powered planes. Hard to beat the price. (~$29)
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:31 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,721 Posts
I really like the nooner.I fly that on a 16/15/4,TP3s2100 lipoly pack,5.5x4.5 prop.Plane is easy to fly,and really grooves.Also fly a demon on a 16/15/3,TP3s2100 lipoly pack,4.7x4.7 prop, good performer. modified mine so I used a servo for each aileron.The key to these pylon racers is to use minmal throws especially on elevator so they are not twitchy.You will be amazed at how little throw is necessary. Also better to be slightly nose heavy then tail heavy.Good Luck,DAVE
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:08 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
I was interetsed in the Sokol but it could be hard to launch and land.

Dave, can you tell me more about the micron? Someone tells me it is made by a Canadian named soxbox?

Greg, where do you get the Simple400? From that price, it sounds like a kit. Does it requires wings glassing/bagging skills?

Shhhhh, (did I typed in enough 'h's?), have you tried the nooner on stocked 400 motor? This kit is available to me for about US$100.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:43 PM
Providence, RI
Joined May 2001
380 Posts
Glad to hear that the Demon is a good flyer, it now comes ready for 2 seperate servos in the wings, I guess that was the major complaint about the old version so they modified it. Mine has a red wing but I didn't get that cool DEMON sticker!

Scott
exempt is offline Find More Posts by exempt
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:06 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,721 Posts
Nonner

RKHOO: I have never flown the nooner on a speed 400,only brushless.In the long run then brushless motors are actually cheaper then speed 400 motors.Much better power and you can always throttle back! None the less the nooner should fly fine on a speed 400.shhhhh! Five h's and one !
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Last edited by shhhhh!; Oct 13, 2005 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:39 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhoo
I was interetsed in the Sokol but it could be hard to launch and land.
The sokol from memory is a very quick plane. Are you after very quick, or some thing to wet your feet first?

The "speedster", by Jonas Leander is a very nice model and goes very well. If you look in the gallery section, mine is the second one down with the blue fuselage and white wings. His webpage is:

http://www.geocities.com/i96_les/

Or just do a search for "jonas leander", and get his webpage from there. His thread to this plane is :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=speedster+

Cheers
Glen

PS: you mentioned the Mircon by "sobox". Has anybody had trouble getting to the Sobox website. I JUST can't find it anymore. Are they no longer in business????
Masterpiece is online now Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Last edited by Masterpiece; Oct 15, 2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 06:21 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,299 Posts
Yep, the Micron is from Sobox. It has a foam wing with balsa skins, precovered-read: repairable. Fuse is glass, I've never flown one, but looking at the "kit" it should be pretty sporty..

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Oct 15, 2005, 01:59 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
My current pylon plane is a Micron with the Calgary wing. I picked up a second one on EBay with the regular wing. I really like this plane - fast enough to be fun, lands easily so you stay out of the shop. I've heard similar things about the Nooner also.
Best approach--- build a Speedster while you're waiting for a fiberglass beauty to arrive.
George
GAANDAHL is offline Find More Posts by GAANDAHL
Old Oct 15, 2005, 02:16 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,177 Posts
I guess this is not a serious racer but it has the spirit.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115335
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:13 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
The simple 400 is a kit however it has a foam wing... It's pretty fast and a nice intro to speed 400 pylon racing
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Oct 16, 2005, 04:54 PM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Anyone knows who carries these kits in Canada?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:27 AM
USA, PA, Mechanicsburg
Joined Mar 2002
122 Posts
Simple 400

This is a very easy to build kit and is easy on the pocket book. It has a VERY strong wing that can take a lot of abuse - including sticking a prop blade through it on a less then adequate meeting with the ground. After many crashes that requires some quick fix to the fuse the wing has held up great. Start with the 6v 400 and work up to a brushless then go big time. At $30 and a roll of colored film - in your choice of color- love those kits - its a gread plane.
MG1500 is offline Find More Posts by MG1500