SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2005, 03:53 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Halloween Thread, Post Your “Scariest” AP Picture or Video.

Since Halloween is just around the corner I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can share some of our “scary” pictures, videos or stories. Your definition of “scary” is entirely up to you. Perhaps it’s a picture of a near miss you had with another plane or bird, perhaps it a video of a crash landing or perhaps it’s when your wife found out you strapped her $400 camera to your airplane ; whatever works for you.

I’m not for sure how well this thread will work out but I think it has potential, who knows; maybe this could end up as a sticky.

Boo!
Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2005, 04:11 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Here's my nightmare

---
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Last edited by MX; Oct 11, 2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 04:16 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,522 Posts
ah, from about a year ago, i think this photo will work.
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Oct 11, 2005, 05:07 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Saline Marinade...

or, what happens when you have a main blade failure while flying over water...the ocean that is.

The camera (Aiptek SD) was never recovered...
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Oct 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
It's hot here!
Dallas
Joined Dec 2004
362 Posts
My Contribution!

The scary part of this is where it landed. It was literally less that a foot from concrete and the area it "landed" in had just had a good long dousing from the sprinkler system. This and only this is what saved my brand new OS .46 AX engine. A good cleaning was all that was necessary...
babenson is offline Find More Posts by babenson
Old Oct 11, 2005, 05:30 PM
It's hot here!
Dallas
Joined Dec 2004
362 Posts
BTW is WAS a Seagull PC-9.
babenson is offline Find More Posts by babenson
Old Oct 11, 2005, 05:38 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
WOW, looks like an Olympic level lawn dart.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 05:41 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM (Wild Moose)
or, what happens when you have a main blade failure while flying over water...the ocean that is.

The camera (Aiptek SD) was never recovered...
Finding my slow stick in a bean field is hard enough, how did you find and recover your chopper underwater, and how deep was it?

Zach
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:03 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Here's my scariest. Had to search back almost exactly two years in the forum for this one.
Karl B² is offline Find More Posts by Karl B²
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:59 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
No Way! Is that under water? Were you able to save the camera or any of the electronics? I know others have been able to save electronics from fresh water, but salt water?

Zach
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:09 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
cough (photochopped) cough

Karl B² is offline Find More Posts by Karl B²
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:49 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Plane decides to hide in a cloud for a while...

Never again
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old Oct 12, 2005, 03:17 AM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,232 Posts
free fall

free fall. Nikon 3700 survives 60meter drop after wings fold... Belive me this image was not turned or eddited..
kestrel2003 is offline Find More Posts by kestrel2003
Old Oct 12, 2005, 06:01 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Spin1
Finding my slow stick in a bean field is hard enough, how did you find and recover your chopper underwater, and how deep was it?

Zach
Hi Zack,

The heli went into the drink in a shallow section that averages thigh-deep water where Board sailers use the beach area as an alternate launch/landing site.

About 40 people witnessed the catastrophe and one kind fellow offered to help search for the remains of my heli. He spent almost a good half hour canvassing the area where we all thought the heli went in but to no avail. About a week later I heard through the grapevine that someone had found the heli and I rushed down to meet the folks at the launch site. A board sailer was returning to the beach area and saw the tail blades sticking out of the water (the tide was going out), skimmed over and plucked it out of the ocean and carried it back to shore.

It was encased in mud when I received it and the picture was taken after the heli was cleaned up a bit. That heli now resides on the wall in my garage where it will stay nice and dry.

Here is a link to Jack's Third Avenue Webcam Page. You may even see me out there taking A.P. photos every once in a while.
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Last edited by RogerM (Wild Moose); Nov 15, 2005 at 03:23 AM. Reason: fixed typo...
Old Nov 02, 2005, 01:10 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Ok, I know I’m a little late, being that Halloween is over and all but it took me a while to find this picture. Even though this isn’t an aerial shot I thought it fit the subject.

I took this picture of the B-17 Aluminum Overcast a few years back while it was visiting Springfield IL. A while later I decided to blow the image up to use as a backdrop in windows, it was then that I noticed a ghostly image of a man in the right side of the cockpit. (It showed up much better in my PaperPort program). I highlighted it in the second photo. I am certain there was no one in the plane when this picture was taken because I got to the airport late and was the last person on the field and took this picture as I was leaving while the crew stood over by the fence waiting on me to finish so they could leave. My brother was videotaping the plane while I took this picture so I can prove no one was inside. What do I think it is? Probably just a reflection of an overhead cloud in the glass, but it’s still a fun picture.

Zach