HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2002, 11:47 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
How do you know if your ESC is fried?

I'm running a Jeti 050 ESC on my Pop-Fly, rated for 4 amps continuous. I installed a GWS fan unit on it which should put out around 3 amps max, but then in the never-ending quest for more power I put the fan motor on by itself with a 3x2 prop. I now suspect I may have been drawing more than 3 amps because the BEC kicked off a couple of times while I was flying indicating the li-ons were dropping voltage. I managed to start it up and keep flying, but when I landed and put the next pack in and tried to launch, the throttle was going spastic. It would rev up and down even though I was not touching the throttle lever. I nursed it up to altitude and it kicked off the BEC in the middle of a loop, then restarted and was acting wacky again. I landed it and chalked it up to too much amp draw on the li-ons. So, I put the fan unit back on again because it flew fine with it before. But tonight I tried to fly the PF and the same wierd stuff happened again, racing throttle, glitchy signals, etc. After about 3 minutes the prop spun off, so I didn't get to try a 2nd pack, but I think the same thing would have happened.

Does this sound like a hosed ESC? I've never had one go, so I don't know if they tend to act erratic like this or just completely die.

Thanks!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2002, 12:57 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Yep, something is screwy with the ESC. Try it with a different pack and radio if you can to see if it does the same. IF you got it from Hobby Lobby, they have a good warranty policy though!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, what is this BEC thing you are talking about? The BEC (battery Eleminator Circut) is always working and NEVER SHUTS DOWN, unless you have a problem.

The LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) shuts down the motor so you still have power for the BEC. They do work together but are not interchangeable.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 16, 2002, 01:27 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
How Do I know when my ESC is fried?

The smoke comes out.... It's fried then for sure
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 16, 2002, 09:19 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Fred-

==IF you got it from Hobby Lobby, they have a good warranty policy though! ==

As a matter of fact I did. Thanks for the tip.

==The LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) shuts down the motor so you still have power for the BEC. They do work together but are not interchangeable.==

DOH! Yes, sorry about that I meant the LVC. It would kick off power to the motor and I would sail for 10 or 15 seconds, then I could restart the motor again. That alone would have made me think the motor was drawing down the li-ons too quickly, but the erratic throttle is what made me think the ESC was hosed. It got to the point where even after I switched out the motor with the lower amp setup, I was getting erratic throttle response at 50% setting. I ordered another ESC (higher amp rating) last night, so we'll see if it is the ESC or not. Thanks for the info.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright