SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2002, 10:53 PM
Joined May 2002
26 Posts
Question
What are the best planes for beginners?

After reading some threas, I found many people suggest the
following models for beginners:
Tiger Moth(but I didn't find elect. version. Anywhere sell RTF kit?)
Mini Max(I could not find RTF kit either).
Firebird XL(Nice but it would be boring quickly because of 2 ch).
Sky Scooter(it is good for very beginners?)

Any other products?

I guess this topic is very useful for beginners to buy the first or the second plane.

Your opinions are welcome.

thanks,
rick2048 is offline Find More Posts by rick2048
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2002, 01:10 AM
Finland
Joined May 2002
11 Posts
This is only my opinion. I think that Hobbyträ's Blue Stick is the best glow-engine-airplane for beginners, if you want a motored plane. Glider would be better, I think. But BLue Stick is very easy to build, fly, and very tough. The fuselage is two 2 cm pinewood sticks. Go and see www.glhobbytra.se . Only problem is that the plane is swedish, and dunno so they sell it in USA.
lothlean is offline Find More Posts by lothlean
Old May 17, 2002, 05:11 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Rick, (Lothlean too!)
Welcome to R/C groups! If you are looking at electric then the T-52 and Push-E-Cat are excellent first planes also. If IC then Tower Hobbies has some nice combos. Give us a bit more info on what aspect of the hobby you want to get into.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old May 17, 2002, 09:11 AM
Joined May 2002
26 Posts
Beginner plane

Don,
I am very beginner without R/C plane experience. So I need to find a model to fix me well. Some slow park flyer probably fit this purpose. But I found many of them are built from foam other than wood. I prefer wood built plane.

Any ideas?

thanks
Rick
rick2048 is offline Find More Posts by rick2048
Old May 17, 2002, 08:54 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Hey Rick, I'll stick by the T-52 and PEC. I've flowen the PEC through barbed wire fences, into a metal barn, into trees a bunch, lost count how many times into the ground. And it takes a licken but keeps on ticking!! After a little Goop or five minute epoxy. I'll move this to training so you can get some other opinions, sorry I missed it this morning.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old May 17, 2002, 09:16 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I'll second the T-52. Se it at www.jkaerotech.com Tough plane, easy to build and takes a crash like it's nothing. If you like wood and don't mind building take a look at SR batteries Cutie. Get someone to fly it for you the sifrst time and trim it out and it is VERY PREDICTABLE and easy to fly. the site is www.srbatteries.com If you are new to building this plane has a great 108 page manual with lots of pics and very detailed instructions.

Good luck and have a great time. If you find an instructor or friend to trim the plane and give you some tips it goes much faster (ask me how I know)
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old May 17, 2002, 09:23 PM
Resident Maniac
Beach, California
Joined Mar 2002
234 Posts
Isn't the BlueStik a genebond creation? oh well. The BS (plans are on this forum, just search) should be a good trainer: Ity's cheap, it'll take hits, and you can build LOTSA them for not alotta money.
The TM is sold in many places. I don't know em all, but i'm sure one of the more experienced could help you with that.
The deciding factor is your field. If it's a small park, i'd go with the TM. It's small, light, and will fly in really confined areas. If you don't mind a kit build, Doug at Mountain Models can help you with his DuskStik, which has gotten nothing but good remarks. A larger field, and a larger model would be better. They seem to leven out easier and are much less vulnerable to the wind. The T-52, Wingo, and Miss-2 are all pretty good.
Toasty
( i bet i messed up on something in there...)
Toaster is offline Find More Posts by Toaster
Old May 17, 2002, 09:54 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Rick,
If you are sure you want wood Dusk Stik from
http://www.mountainmodels.com/
If you want TM Lite Stik etc (foam) try
http://rcguy100.tripod.com/store.htm
for best prices and good service or
http://rcguy100.tripod.com/store.htm
or
http://www.aeromicro.com/index.htm
all good!

boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 17, 2002, 10:21 PM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
If you'd rather have a larger wooden plane, I would go for an LT-25. I hear it's instructions are great and you can take off and land under power. If you're completely new to the hobby, you'd need to get someone to buddy box with you on this one.

Flying on my own, I started with a Zagi. I think it was an excellent first plane.

-Dan
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Last edited by Ninjak2k; May 17, 2002 at 11:05 PM.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:02 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,000 Posts
Lite-stick......nice and slow.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old May 18, 2002, 07:30 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
If I had it all to do over, this is the advice that I would follow:

Learn to fly on an ugly, indestructible trainer (EPP foam like the Push-E-Cat or carbon rod and ripstop construction like the IFO Trainer are the toughest) to which you have no emotional attachment. That way, you will be able to focus on learning how to fly rather than just trying to avoid crashing and hurting your "baby." After you have learned how to fly and aren't worried about crashing all of the time, build the nice-looking, fragile, balsa aircraft of your dreams and you will have the skills to keep it in one piece.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 18, 2002, 08:37 AM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
I have to agree with Dave. Don't get something that you can stand back and admire and are scared to death to ding.

I got out of the sport many years ago because I loved to build but would give the box to someone else when flying time came. I just couldn't stand the idea rekitting something that I put so much time and effort into.

I've flown the Push-E-Cat and have a Zagi. With EPP planes there is just about zero fear of crashing. The PEC is the first plane I've seen do "bounce and goes." My Zagi has been bounced on it's nose a few times and I just replaced the tray and canopy, reinstalled the original gear and went flying.

I'm sure attitude has a lot to do with it too though. I now can laugh when one goes in instead of going into shock.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old May 18, 2002, 11:35 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
For new flyer the T-IFO covered with ripstop is a good choice. I have the Mini IFO (not for a new flyer) and I have bounced it off the ground concrete parking lot light poles etc from mostly trying to fly it in too much wind or learning what outlandish stunts this thing will do in really small spaces. Total damage dinged prop. Broken cable tie holding motor and landing gear needing CA and that's it! The T-IFO is of the same breed. In fact I am building one for my son's birthday(50th) as in his learning to fly he tends to fly his Lite Stik in a cul de sac area surrounded by tall buildings and has crashed the LS into the buildings so many times that the straightened paper clips epoxied on as splints has made it so heavy it will hardly fly! With the T-IFO he can just pick it up and fly again with out major repairs!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 18, 2002, 01:12 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
:-)

I like this periodic questions on the 1st best plane, as I can write.... Again.... and again....

And then I add, "but I didn't try all the other "T-52", etc...

Anyway, since you asked, and I assume read the few millions threads on this matter

Wingo is my winner !!!!

Just did some aerial photos with it, last week-end, and after 9 month of living, it still is a fun plane, impossible to... not repair

I worship the Wingo as a 1st plane as it just looks also so nice. Anyway, thanks for asking the question as I always like to write about my Wingo, and learn new words like "fireplace" instead of "Chimney", some Ezone readers will understand....

Good luck for whatever you'll choose, just pick a foamie as I think they are just easier to build and repair.

By the way, I also think as if you start, what could be the best shop to start with, and as I think the Wingo wins on the plane side, I think that Hobby-Lobby (www.hobby-lobby.com) wins, so far, from far away.
At least, they are the one who gave me my first advises and really fair ones, they didn't try to sell anything not needed for a beginner, and I found that pretty elegant of them.

One more thing, I had many "Beginner's plane" which I put some reviews on my web site, go and vist, it may help you.

http://plawner.net/

Bye,
Patrick.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old May 23, 2002, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2002
4 Posts
I started with an Avistar II with an OS .40 LA BLUE and love it.. It
is a good starter plane. Very stable. The wings up top make it a floater.

Brian
popkin is offline Find More Posts by popkin