HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2002, 10:26 PM
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
590 Posts
Great Service - Again - From Sal & NSP!

Just wanted to let you all know how happy I am with their service.

Bob

To: "Sal DeFrancesco, Pres of Northeast Sailplane Products, Inc." <sal@nesail.com>
Subject: Re: Brisk 2 Order
Cc:
Bcc:
X-Attachments:

Sal,

The Brisk 2, F3F ship, that I ordered from you on Friday, arrived this afternoon, Wednesday, in great shape. It is a beauty & extremely well made, just like you said. As usual, it is a pleasure doing business with you!

Many Thanks,
Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert P. Andris
12155 Terrence Ave.
Saratoga, CA 95070
USA

(408) 252-5469

bobandris@attbi.com

LSF 004, AMA 5055
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2002, 04:49 PM
Dayton, OH
Joined Apr 2002
109 Posts
Did he respond to your email

I'm wondering if he responded to your email?

He refuses to respond to any of mine except to say "Call him", I guess he thinks phone calls from Oh to Vt are free.

My experience with them has been much less satisfying.

Tim
Ghostbear is offline Find More Posts by Ghostbear
Old May 19, 2002, 10:54 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
It is very simple. I cannot respond to e-mails that require lots of detail, especially ones that really need a dialog, an interaction if you will, to satisfy.

The large amount of e-mails we receive precludes me from answering every one in this manner. I try to answer the direct questions and the ones that require more I ask people to call. I have no problem spending time on the phone with anyone who will call.

Todays rate of 7 cents per minute mean a 15 minute call from anywhere in this country means you will spend $1.05. I will gladly give this back double when you have made your decision to buy.

In this day and age where Microsoft, and Norton, as an example, charge $35.00 per incident, our available free advice by phone seems a pretty good deal.

If you want an answer via e-mail, I can do this if the questions are direct and short.

If you want me to make a recommendation of, for example a sailplane or electric and compare this airplane to three others, or compare computer radios, I will be glad to do so but not by e-mail. I will be happy to discuss this by phone.

I think it would be fair to realize this when contacting any verndor. None of us have the manpower to sit down for several hours a day and answer long e-mails. If you try to keep them short and simple we can do a better job. If you require more detailed advice, the phone works better for all of us.

If this does not work for you, let us know and we will try to accomodate you. I know I average 2 hours per day on e-mails and I just cannot find anymore time.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old May 20, 2002, 12:17 AM
New Milford CT 06776
Joined Sep 2000
621 Posts
Re: Did he respond to your email

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostbear
He refuses to respond to any of mine except to say "Call him", I guess he thinks phone calls from Oh to Vt are free.

My experience with them has been much less satisfying.

Tim
Tim, a phone call is a ten times more effiecent than an email for getting information across. In a phone call there can be a reciprocation of info that can clarify things in a single interaction. Email takes at least two interactions and it often leaves context and other important info out of the message.
Many weeks ago I returned an email or PM to you asking you to call me for help setting up your Virus because I had reviewed the plane in MAN a few issues back and was very familiar with it. In the email I explained that I was very busy but would be more than willing to help you out if you would call me on the phone instead of making me type everything explicitly. I explained then how I felt about phone calls instead of emails. Since than I have responded to about four or more of your emails to answer questions that you had. To date you have not called. It is clear that Sal also has offered more than once to help you out if you would call him. Pick up the phone and I am sure it will be worth the dime.

When I got into this hobby a fellow modeler told me "information is free". Most modelers are more than willing to reach out a helping hand to help new guys get started. In the time that I have been in the hobby I have tried to share what I know. One of the things that I do know, is that you should'nt knock a guy or business in a puplic forum for not helping you, especially when you have set terms such as ,only when it is convienient for you.

I have read at least two times so far in other forums, Sal asking you to call him. Would it help if I email you my calling card number? It's realy no big deal I want to help.

I am sorry for the frusterating tone of this message but I guess that I am. All the help you need is right at your finger tips. You said that you only held your wing on by 4 rubber bands which is one of the reasons the plane broke. In a phone call, the proper way of attaching your wing, could have been explained in 15 seconds, instead of three emails. As I explained to you before writing is a job for me, therefore it is a chore. I much perfer to talk and boy do I love to talk. You should see my phone bill
John Tracey
JTinCT is offline Find More Posts by JTinCT
Last edited by JTinCT; May 20, 2002 at 12:25 AM.
Old May 20, 2002, 09:27 AM
Dayton, OH
Joined Apr 2002
109 Posts
In conclusion (on my part)

I have been thinking of some way to respond to this thread in a productive manner, but I don't think that's possible in this case.

I am a 39 year old computer consultant, so email is my preferred form of communication. And I'm no more likely to change my position than either of you (Sal and JTracey).

The reason I chose to respond to this thread initially wasn't merely because I'm a jerk, but because on 17 May, I had sent Sal an email (grimace) which voiced some concern over the instructions and design of the model, but basically was a request that he sell me a new fuselage and replace the motor based on what I considered to be a problem with it as it was delivered to me.

In my opinion, had he responded to that email, or even checked on it before writing his scathing reply to my post on this thread, he would have been justified in his response to my post. Instead, he spent much more time resonding to the post than it would have taken to check on my email.

But, that is just my opinion.

I might suggest to Sal that he create some additional email addresses like "customersupport@nesail or techsupport@nesail" and depersonalize his email contact with the outside world (unless he chooses to give out the personal address).

While I may be a novice modeler, I am something of an expert at e-business.

Finally, I need to be satisfied as a modeler and a customer, that's my problem, not either of yours. So I apologize for any consternation I may have caused. I won't be bothering either of you two gentlmen again.
Old May 20, 2002, 09:58 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
I don't think adding e-mail addresses will create the time to answer long questions.

In your e-mail to Sal, were you by any chance asking for a free replacement motor due to crash damage? I'd probably find it easier to type such a request, rather than speak it over the phone.

Sal's post strikes me as completely reasonable and restrained; hardly "scathing".

If a new flier insists on gathering information only through e-mail, he will probably crash a lot more than he would otherwise.
lymon is online now Find More Posts by lymon
Old May 20, 2002, 10:59 AM
Dayton, OH
Joined Apr 2002
109 Posts

My life would be a lot simpler if I just ignored this thread and moved on, however:

Quote:
Originally posted by lymon
I don't think adding e-mail addresses will create the time to answer long questions.

He mentions the large amount of emails he receives, as far as I can tell, there is only one address. In my case, I did have some "tech support" questions, but I also had some question regarding my order. Segmenting the emails would, in fact, give him both more time (since he could defer emails in the tech support catagory) and improve service (by focusing on order problems). It might also be cheaper to send out tracking numbers and stuff through email, rather than by phone.

But, its only my opinion.

In your e-mail to Sal, were you by any chance asking for a free replacement motor due to crash damage? I'd probably find it easier to type such a request, rather than speak it over the phone.

Just to keep the facts straight, here is Sal's post that created the request (just a request, sent by email, not a DEMAND posted on the forums for all to see)!

Gees! Try calling NSP to get help!!! Hey! That's me! Seriously, call me. I think that your pinion gear is slipping. This is a common occurance on the MP jet and Horst drives and the most common symptom is lack of power. If you do not have enough power to ROG you definetely have slipping pinion gear.

The motor came with the gearbox installed. That's why I felt it was not my resposibility. I took responsibility for the damage to the fuselage.

Sal's post strikes me as completely reasonable and restrained; hardly "scathing".

All I can say is "whatever", you don't know the back story you simply seem to be siding with the vendor. That's fine, if predictable.

If a new flier insists on gathering information only through e-mail, he will probably crash a lot more than he would otherwise.
There is a fine line between advice and condescension. Your implication I was trying to blackmail him into a free motor was both offensive and condescending.

In the end, I think the issue between my and NE Sailplanes is probably complete. However, as a newbie, I feel I should share my experiences with other newbies. Afterall, that's the whole point of this forum, isn't it?
Old May 20, 2002, 11:03 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
I'll plead guilty to condescension
lymon is online now Find More Posts by lymon
Old May 20, 2002, 11:23 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Perhaps I have not made myself clear. I will be more than happy to respond to e-mails and I do so. If they require long involved answers I ask people to call. I believe this is what I did with Ghostbear.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old May 20, 2002, 03:58 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Jan 2002
26 Posts
everyone, give Sal a chance and call him - you will not be disappointed. I too have had a minor issue however a call really straightened it up and I have been a very happy cutomer since. Sal, thanks for the great Kontronik drives, they are really lifting my babies to altitude!
sini_77 is offline Find More Posts by sini_77
Old May 20, 2002, 11:22 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
E-mail is and will continue to be a marvelous method of communication but it is not the best way to describe a problem or resolve a dispute.

Sal has stated his position on E-mail. Addins a group of specialized addresses would only compound the problem he faces. The telephone atill is the best tool to resolve problems. E-mail simply takes far too long because of the number of messages required'

Case in point: I called Sal to order a prop for a recently purchased gear drive. During the conversation Sal asked a rather strange question The answer to which I NEVER would have included in an E-mail. He asked the distance from the nose ring to the wing leading edge. I kmow why he asked now. But never would have thought of it as important on my own.

Result = prop ordered and customer(me)satisfied.

BillM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM