HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2001, 06:56 AM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Aarhus
Joined Jul 2001
115 Posts
Has anyone tried to make indoor termik or hang-gliding with small RC-gliders?

Hi there

I was thinking of making a small glider of appr. 100 gram (3.6 oz), and make thermik with a electrical heater, or a fan placed on the floor. Same procedure for outdoor use. Would it be fun, or is it too stupid?

Lars
PropelLars is offline Find More Posts by PropelLars
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2001, 07:44 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
It's certainly possible but I think you'll need a lighter model than that for indoors. Indoor slope soaring is a lot easier. Just walk (or have an assistant walk) round with the model with a sheet of cardboard held at a suitable "slope" angle. It even works for free flight gliders

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jul 18, 2001, 08:00 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Only works if your assistant doesn't slope off.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 18, 2001, 10:00 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
Uh! Uh! Great idea!

Sounds safer than running around the field trying to keep a lit Coleman camp stove under the plane.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jul 18, 2001, 06:07 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
hey use a large fan blowing straight up .. ride the lift up in a tight circle pattern.till she gets to the rafters the pan off around the old pea patch till you need another ride..
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Jul 19, 2001, 04:26 AM
Camberley, Surrey, England
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
How about just setting fire to your plane as you launch it, it will then ride it's own thermals which will 'follow' it around the hall you are flying in. You could even put a couple of 5 litre Jerry cans filled with petrol (to ballast them down) and fly an indoor pylon course with a self thermaling glider. Failing that, just get a few weather balloon’s, make sure you get them filled with Hydrogen gas as you want it to be lighter than air, and fly as tightly around these as you can with your flaming indoor glider. Please do not use Helium in the balloons as this makes grown men like us sound like tarts (loose women). If you can't find a source of Hydrogen, don't fear, just eats two large cans of baked beans in the morning, go to the hall, drop your pants just at the right moment, get your best buddy to hold a lighter (wind resistant one) as close to your bum, to make sure that you get a good seal between your bum and the balloon, so that the gas will flow into the balloon’s opening. Of course any escaping gas will be burnt off before it hits your nose. Don't loose your balls, give it a go if you dare! Best regards, Paul Ironmonger 'bringer of good safe idea's'
Paul15 is offline Find More Posts by Paul15
Old Jul 19, 2001, 09:33 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
What is it with you Brits and colonic gas?

Years ago I heard a hillarious BBC parody doing sports style coverage of the International F*rting Championship (Lord Win de Smear vs. the Ausie Harold Boomer).

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:53 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Dunno really but a few more comments like that should certainly put Lars off trying to ask any more sensible questions round here.

Sorry Lars, but it's not all Brits, some of us will actually try to answer your questions.

Steve

[This message has been edited by slewin (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old Jul 20, 2001, 02:33 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Lars, sure it could work, but the wieght of the model is not as important as wing loading. The glider would just need a 3-4 oz or lighter wing loading and be very manuverable. Perhaps something like an unpowered Kolibri?

Why not just place a fan on the floor blowing striaght up, or into an angled table for slope lift?

Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 20, 2001, 03:36 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
When I've seen attempts at this the fan pointing upward always disturbs the air too much for it to be practical. An electric heater and very light models gives interesting thermals. But I've only seen it tried with small FF models indoors.

I'm pretty certain it wouldn't work outdoors because any wind at all would stop a "thermal" from forming over your heater (unless you know different of course).

But I like the fan and table do-it-yourself slope, I'm sure that would work.

Steve

[This message has been edited by slewin (edited 07-20-2001).]
Old Jul 20, 2001, 10:20 AM
des moines, ia 50310
Joined Jul 2001
211 Posts
A few years ago I had a dream in which I for some reason had a lot of electric toasters plugged in on the floor of a large room and was flying a small indoor sailplane. When I woke up I gave the idea a little thought and then dismissed it. Sounds like fun though, probably not with toasters. Maybe someone will try something like this, either slope or thermal and let us know how it goes.

birdbrain is online now Find More Posts by birdbrain
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:56 AM
I am M I G H T Y !
Ipswich, England
Joined Feb 2001
486 Posts
Hey Lars, my wife is from Aarhus!

Anyway, why not set off a few pots of Sterno around the hall? Maybe one every 10 feet or so. You find plans for a RC glider that small, shoot 'em my way!

Steve
Steve Wrona is offline Find More Posts by Steve Wrona
Old Nov 09, 2009, 05:44 PM
resU deretsigeR
Western Pa
Joined Oct 2006
283 Posts
8 Years OLD! Anybody do anything with this indoor thermal thing?
LDGILLS is offline Find More Posts by LDGILLS
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
After the lawsuit from his lighter holding buddy, turns out it wasn’t that windproof the whole idea was scrapped. I have made indoor G.I. Joe sized (3.5”) FF gliders out of balsa and tissue paper as a kid that did work but with the size of heli’s and even micro’s these days it would be a real tough sell. Evidently the idea caught on in a way though.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal