HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2005, 10:51 PM
Joined Oct 2005
22 Posts
Revell 1/72 type VII C ~RC conversion

Just wanted to share my new found hobby with the world..

this is my first sub, not sure what i'm doing!!

jsut started building the kit, i've been looking at some WTC kits from several suppliers.. has anyone ever used one from small world models? i've noticed that some are using wtc from D&E , any help with this conversion would be great!
jaykymm is offline Find More Posts by jaykymm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:03 AM
Scratch Builder
Birmingham, England
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
Did you miss the 'Start Here' Thread? If you read it you would have found this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288890

Then when you have read this inside & out and studied it, you ask the guys here some questions, you mention that you have read it and they are more inclined to believe you are genuine, and not some random kid who picked up the model at a hobby shop sale 'cos it wos cheap'.

Research first

Then Sit on this forum for at least about two or three months,

Then buy the kit,

Then when you make the kit, people will be alot more helpful. And your entry into the hobby, will be much more sucessful, and thus longer term.

Michael
himszy is offline Find More Posts by himszy
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:03 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
Most people use one of Dave Welch's WTC kits in the Revell U-boat. Here's one link for some info - http://www.rc-submarines.com/id51.htm#welch . Dave includes a CD with pictures, instructions and diagrams with each of his WTC kits. You'll have to provide things like the motors, electronics, make your ballast "gas" tank. etc. You'll also have to provide all of the servo pushrod seals yourself.

I'm using on of the SWM WTC's in my 1/96 scale BALAO model of the HAMMERHEAD. Nice WTC, just some general directions. The SMW WTC's have nice rotary servo outputs thru a watertight seal.

I also have two D&E Miniatures WTC, one 3" (infor repair with Dave Merriman) and one 3.5". Nice units with detailed instruction manuals, equipment trays, installed motor and gas tank. The D&E WTC's have linear servo outputs thru a seal.

You'll also want to check out the SubCommittee .
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:30 AM
Joined Oct 2005
22 Posts
thanks cgbob!

i've been researching for about a month now, i looked at a ton of kits and setups, but really couldn't afford those kits, thats when i came across the revell kit and also i had seen several posts on here where they were converted to rc.

i know it will be a heck of a challenge for my first build! but in my opinion thats what makes this hobby so cool!

ok a few more questions....

radio system...any suggestions? i've been looking at a airtronics vg6000 75mhz, it comes with micro rx and 4 standard servos...

i'm having a little trouble on ballast types...
i want to build a static diver, but real sure which system i should go with...

gas or water pump?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:09 AM
Crazy bubble-head!
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
Dave Welsch's kit comes with (or you can purchase with) a pump style RCABS ballast system composed of a pair of inflating air bladders. This works exceedingly well in most cases and will be the system that I use in both my Revell Type VII and my Trumpeter Seawolf kits.

The Airtronics VG600 is perfectly good. I use it in my big 66" Nautilus with no problems. Cheap and reliable, its a good choice. Getting a six channel is overkill for the Type VII, as you'll only need four channels. If you've got future projects planned, however, six channels will allow expansion for neat stuff like torps, lights, sound, periscopes, etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bob
Nemo is offline Find More Posts by Nemo
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:32 AM
Close that hatch!
Absecon New Jersey
Joined Feb 2005
65 Posts
I suggest the Dave Welsch kit. I'm building the Type VII-C conversion right-
now and If you follow the directions and pics on the disc, it will almost put
itself together. Good Luck!
Guy H.
ghav2 is offline Find More Posts by ghav2
Old Oct 15, 2005, 04:12 AM
Joined Oct 2005
22 Posts
Parts ordered

just ordered a wtc kit from dave, should have it in a couple of weeks!! i'm very excited!!

also ordered a radio system,http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEUY5**&P=0

i know its an aircraft freq, but i'm only planning on running my sub in pool, so i don't think it should matter that much, plus this setup comes with micro rx, servos and micro speed controller... what do you guys think?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 04:14 AM
Joined Oct 2005
22 Posts
motor size for wtc kit

does anyone know what size motors i need?

dave sent me an email of all the stuff i need, but the link to the motors doesn't work, i know its made by gws but i can't figure out exactly which ones.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 08:11 AM
Close that hatch!
Absecon New Jersey
Joined Feb 2005
65 Posts
The motors you need to order from GWS are-GW/LPS-RXC-CS. They are about $13.00
each. They work perfectly.
Guy
ghav2 is offline Find More Posts by ghav2
Old Oct 15, 2005, 03:01 PM
Northampton UK
Joined Feb 2005
12 Posts
Hi all, I've been reading these threads on rc subs for a while now whilst my revell type VII gathers dust. I'm going to bite bullet soon and see if dave welch can ship me one of his kits to the UK. Does anyone know if I can get these motors in the UK?
Britnell is offline Find More Posts by Britnell
Old Oct 16, 2005, 09:29 AM
Wasserbomb
Joined Sep 2005
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
Most people use one of Dave Welch's WTC kits in the Revell U-boat. Here's one link for some info - http://www.rc-submarines.com/id51.htm#welch . Dave includes a CD with pictures, instructions and diagrams with each of his WTC kits. You'll have to provide things like the motors, electronics, make your ballast "gas" tank. etc. You'll also have to provide all of the servo pushrod seals yourself.

I'm using on of the SWM WTC's in my 1/96 scale BALAO model of the HAMMERHEAD. Nice WTC, just some general directions. The SMW WTC's have nice rotary servo outputs thru a watertight seal.

I also have two D&E Miniatures WTC, one 3" (infor repair with Dave Merriman) and one 3.5". Nice units with detailed instruction manuals, equipment trays, installed motor and gas tank. The D&E WTC's have linear servo outputs thru a seal.

You'll also want to check out the SubCommittee .
Thanx Bob......I appreciate you taking the time to lend a hand.......its guys like you who keep new guys like me in the hobby......I am also building this as a first project...Rich
Rick227 is offline Find More Posts by Rick227
Old Oct 16, 2005, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Pretty much everything you need to know is in my thread. I had the best possible results.

Steve

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&page=3&pp=15

http://sneill.com/uboat/type7_2.wmv

http://sneill.com/2005/sub_page_one.html

These will all help. Good luck and have fun.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:04 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykymm
just ordered a wtc kit from dave, should have it in a couple of weeks!! i'm very excited!!

also ordered a radio system,http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEUY5**&P=0

i know its an aircraft freq, but i'm only planning on running my sub in pool, so i don't think it should matter that much, plus this setup comes with micro rx, servos and micro speed controller... what do you guys think?
I'm surprized that I'm the first to comment on the radio choice. The problem is not with your boat in the pool, but with what you might do to someone's aircraft in the vacinity. Also it is against the law!!!! See FCC 95.207 - (R/C Rule 7) On what channels may I operate? You might also want to check FCC 95.218 - (R/C Rule 18) What are the penalties for violating these rules?
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhurley
I'm surprized that I'm the first to comment on the radio choice. The problem is not with your boat in the pool, but with what you might do to someone's aircraft in the vacinity. Also it is against the law!!!! See FCC 95.207 - (R/C Rule 7) On what channels may I operate? You might also want to check FCC 95.218 - (R/C Rule 18) What are the penalties for violating these rules?

Actually he's says it's on 75 mhz not 72. That's ground.

Steve
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:38 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykymm

Sorry,

I did catch that one jimhurley. Jaykymm. don't waits your money because if you ever go to an event and it's near a model airplane field and you hurt someone you could go to jail and have your equipment and model taken away from you.

There as plenty of good radios for subs like the one you order except they're on 75 mhz. Hitec has some good ones too.

Being an RC jet pilot as well as a sub driver I would highly recommend you do the right thing here.

Thanks,

Steve