HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2002, 04:13 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Astro 110D with bad potentiometer

My astro 110D charger is acting up. When I try to adjust the charge rate with the dial the digital readout jumps all over the place. I did not drop it or anything just powered up that way after sitting all winter. Astro Bob said that the potentiometer (sp) is damaged. Cost to fix it is $27 plus shipping.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyway to fix it my self? Any help? Thanks, Joe
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2002, 04:24 PM
Provo, Utah, United States
Joined May 2002
750 Posts
When my 112D experienced the same problem, he sent me a free pot which I just soldered in place of the old one. He might not give you one for free, but I bet he'd sell it to you for a lot less than $27.

Matt
utahrc is offline Find More Posts by utahrc
Old May 15, 2002, 04:27 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,030 Posts
Measure the resistance of the pot and go to radio shack and get one. The resistance can be +/- of that measured......or maybe Astro Bob will tell you/us the value.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 15, 2002, 04:29 PM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Astro 110D

I had the same problem with my 110D.

It was under warrenty, but I just had astroBob send me one.

The circuit board has traces on both sides, and even being real careful, i ripped 1 out. no problem i just jumpered further downstream.

If you feel comfortable soldering and unsoldering components that are made out of plastic with leads that if overheated will melt the plastic, then do it yourself.

If you have trouble soldering Capacitors to the can of ferrite motor, send back to AstroBob.

Ron Parigoris
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
Old May 15, 2002, 04:32 PM
Kings Park, New York, USA
Joined Sep 2001
813 Posts
Oh Yea

Oh Yea

i remember I was going to try and drill a mini hole on the old potentiometer and shoot some contact cleaner and lube into the old one to see if it can be fixed. You may want to give it a shot (pun intended). i put it at better than 50% it will fix problem

Ron Parigoris
rparigoris is offline Find More Posts by rparigoris
Old May 15, 2002, 04:46 PM
Hacienda Heights, CA
Joined Sep 2000
344 Posts
Try Craig Logan's suggestion in the following thread of loosening the pot hold down nut.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=astro+110d

It worked for me, so I haven't had to use the new pot I got from Astro.

Jim
JimO is online now Find More Posts by JimO
Old May 15, 2002, 08:54 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Same thing happened to mine after about 2 months of use. Sounds like Bob has had these problems for a while. He should fix them for free IMO. I've just lived with mine but I should change it out.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old May 15, 2002, 09:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Anyone know the value of the pot? I wouldnt mind replacing my erratic pot with a 5-turn unit for better control anyways.

Thanks
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old May 16, 2002, 09:11 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2000
91 Posts
I, too, have a 110D, but haven't had any problems yet. I haven't used it much, so that is probably why I haven't had trouble. Sure seems like Astro Bob should offer to fix these at no cost, regardless of age, since it appears to be a bad part from the manufacturer.
dshly is offline Find More Posts by dshly
Old May 16, 2002, 10:34 AM
Haverhill, MA
Joined Jul 2000
303 Posts
On my 110D I experienced the same problem. What I did is grab the knob on the pot and turn it briskly all the way back and forth about ten times. My display stopped going crazy after that. I guess it kind of cleans the contacts in the pot. It may not be a permanent fix, but so far it has worked for me.
ErnieR is offline Find More Posts by ErnieR
Old May 16, 2002, 11:03 AM
North east Oregon
Joined Sep 2001
32 Posts
It is very common for Vr to develope dead spots in frequently used areas ,I wouldnt fault astro for this, as ive replaced hundreds over the years in semiconductor production equipment.

The Vr value is 5k ohms go to mousser or alltronics and order a multi turn one, fine adjustability will be much better.

Robert W
ACCIPITER is offline Find More Posts by ACCIPITER
Old May 16, 2002, 11:27 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
ACCIPITER, thanks, I just happen to have an industrial 5k unit at the shop.

Cheers
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old May 16, 2002, 12:02 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,205 Posts
Old Astro 110D

I've had my Astro 110D for five or six years. So far, I've had no troubles. Maybe Astro Bob used better pots back then. But I thank those of you who've offered suggestions on what to do if the pot goes bad.
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old May 16, 2002, 06:29 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,221 Posts
I had the same problem few years ago..Bob fix it up at no
charge..even posting it free back to OZ.

Pity he got bad quality patch of pots. But is service is good.
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old May 16, 2002, 09:39 PM
South Jersey
Joined Sep 2001
102 Posts
I had the same problem with a faulty pot about a month ago. I called Bob and he gave me the choice of either sending it to him ( 3 weeks turn around ) or mailing me a replacement pot to install myself. I chose the latter ( I got it on the east coast in 5 days ). He also mentioned that some chargers have a 5k pot and others a 10k. He only has 10k pots on hand due to the manufacturer of the pots. You can install the 10k without any problems. It will allow you to charge at up to 5.6 amps if you originally had a 5k pot. Or you can install a resistor in parallel to reduce the resistance of the 10k pot to get to original specs. ( not worth the effort) Also, I wouldn't charge over 5 amps as you may overheat the transistors in the charger.
S Anastasio is offline Find More Posts by S Anastasio