SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2005, 09:15 PM
MS
Joined Jul 2005
245 Posts
Another lipo+fire story :eek:

An update from this thread from a few days ago : smoke from lipo?

Well my LHS had no problem in taking the "shorted" (sp?) battery pack and exchanged it for a new pack.

Well today I took another trip to the LHS and was informed by the owner there was a problem yesterday. It turns out the lipo pack I had returned had bursted into flames. Fortunately for the owner he happened to be there and smelled something burning, he walked into the backroom just in time to see the pack "explode" and shoot a 5ft flame in the air. He grabbed some rags and smothered it, he then chucked the battery out the back door.

Nothing was damaged but the potential was there. I had the "shorted" pack in my house for 3 days before I went back to exchange it. It was at the shop at least 2 nights when it decided to blow.

The odd thing is we found the pack and put a DVM on it and it showed some voltage- WTH? I didnt really get a good look at the numbers since I didnt really trust the pack at this point and didnt reconnect to check again. this really has me confused on how the heck can voltage still be read?

Well this has me really spooked since it hit way to close to home.
I knew a swollen pack had a potential to be dangerous, but I guess any damaged cell/pack can "go off" at any given time.

Just a fair warning to all you lipo owners out there

mj147
mj147 is offline Find More Posts by mj147
to remove ads between posts