HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2005, 05:55 AM
Indpls.,In.
Joined Oct 2000
461 Posts
Bill Winter Rookie

From the early 60s. Anyone built or flown one ?
dvint is offline Find More Posts by dvint
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:43 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
537 Posts
Excellent low wing trainer/sport plane.
Constuction article was in Model Builder & another mag some years ago. Bill Northrop has plans available.

Bob
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
MAN plan service has the original plans, may have copies of the original article. I think the MB plan was kind of updated to newer construction methods. American Modeler magazine had a smaller version for 049, maybe .15, I think.
A fellow club member had one. Lived up to Bill Winter's claim. Very smooth and controllable. A 45 was adequate power. He was able to loop at 3/4 throttle. Tip plates helped make it very stable.
Bill Northup's Plan Service may have the MB version plans. Maybe the MA plan library has the AM version.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:38 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
635 Posts
The Rookie was originally published in MAN somewhere around 1961 or something. I think I have a copy of the magazine around here someplace.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Nov 03, 2005, 02:46 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
950 Posts
Winter's Rookie was published in the November 1962 MAN page 19. Says he flew it with a K&B .45, picture looks like a greenhead, and a Controlaire 10. Was that a simul system? That issue shows the plan set No. 13A but I don't think it's listed like that now.

Other interesting parts of that issue:

World Engines ad for a transverter for 3.6v in and 135v out.
Ecktronics ad for the .15 powered Concord
Zippy the Chimp hawking Ambroid cement
'62 Nats report
Hal DeBolt's Viscount construction article
C&S Electronics (forerunner to the Cannon company) new tube transmitter
Fox BLAST fuel released for sale
Babcock double decker escapement

Does anyone have a Controlaire or MAN 2-3-4 proportional transmitter that still looks decent? That turned metal finish was beautiful! I'd like to install a current set of electronics and fly this airplane with it.
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Nov 03, 2005, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Balsabird, the Controlaire 1962 10 channel reed system was a simul system. But you built the receiver from a kit that used an OS reed bank. You had to do some filing or adding solder to the rudder and elevator receiver reeds in some cases to simul for a spin. The transmitter had two large 9 volt dry batteries in series for 18 volts. You had to line the transmitter channels up to the receiver. The sytem came with a great trouble shooting chart that enabled one to keep the system operating. Worked great in a scaled down Smog Hog with a K&B .19 Green Head. Later a Taurus. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner