SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2005, 07:30 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,089 Posts
New pictures: Good Day at the Ruins

Had a nice day sloping here in Santa Barbara. A bunch of the regulars including Hydrogin, Dryodx, Kai@UCSB and others showed up at the Ruins and enjoyed a nice early season afternoon of decent lift. It's getting cold again up there and the lift is finally starting to turn on the way we like. Lance said it's been pretty good the last 4 weeks but this was the strongest so far... nice!

I flew the 2m Fox, the McMoth and the Weasel. Droydx flew his 80's era balsa Swift (swept wing, T-tail jetfighter lookin' thing that flew great), his Crazy Banana, his LEG Me-109, his Slope Scale Airacobra, and his Zipper (that guy loves to haul planes up and down that hill LOL). Lance had his CCM Scorpion 2, his Moth and his Weasel. Kai showed up with Droydx's old Quicksilver and his Weasel. Along with the stuff the other regulars brought it was darn near a mini-fly-in, cool stuff!

Anyways, enough words, before Tawg complains that this post is like reading the Bible let's get on to the pictures

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2005, 08:07 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
LOL, that's a great pic! Did anyone check Droydster's trim before tossing him out?

Gusts and windspeed increased after 5pm. More of the same conditions forecasted for tomorrow.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Oct 08, 2005, 08:56 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,001 Posts
ehh, "kids do the darndest things"? I had a great time today with y'all....they gotta let me out of the nuthouse more often. Great to see the Fox ripping around again too Steve. Glad we figured out that spoiler thing on my Banana too....
Dx
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Oct 09, 2005, 12:23 AM
Moderatee buncha places
Southern California
Joined Aug 2003
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Anyways, enough words, before Tawg complains that this post is like reading the Bible let's get on to the pictures

Steve
oh sure, i leave and the wind comes up, ummmm yeeeahhh i am going to have to say i disagree with the laws of space and time at this point.

looks like a great time was had and you deserve it
Tawg is offline Find More Posts by Tawg
Old Oct 09, 2005, 12:45 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
You guys tryin' to keep that spot private or something by scaring away would be pilots!?!? Now I won't mention his name, droydx, but one of you up there has a few tools missing from his tool box!

Looks like a good time. Glad you guys found some cooperative wind.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Oct 09, 2005, 12:48 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Nice...

I'm pretty new to "slope", but since trying it, I'm totally hooked. I gotta' make a run up to "the ruins" one of these days and meet some of you guys the next time the wind is a blowin'... I plan to get out to ellwood also but we've been pretty skunked on wind lately...

Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Oct 09, 2005, 12:59 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Don,

The Ruins will be smokin' today!!! I'll be up there in the afternoon. Let me know if you need directions.

There was a SE coastal component yesterday and this morning, so Ellwood probably won't be good. Lots of good N/NW coming through San Marcos Pass though.

Lance
Old Oct 09, 2005, 01:44 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
Don,

The Ruins will be smokin' today!!! I'll be up there in the afternoon. Let me know if you need directions.

There was a SE coastal component yesterday and this morning, so Ellwood probably won't be good. Lots of good N/NW coming through San Marcos Pass though.

Lance
Cool!!!! thanks Lance

Allthough, I probably won't make it today for a few reasons but the most important would be the fact that my sloper is sitting at the bottom of the canyon below my house... The wind was so good last evening in mission canyon that I was bold enough to launch right from my yard... A few loops in dead wind later I found myself way deep in the canyon. I parked it pretty close to a neighbors house so if my afternoon recovery goes ok I might make it up there. I know EXACTLY where Napp's is but do you think the wind will still be ok around 5-6 o'clock? I have to button up some stuff here(work) till about 4:00, search down my plane in thick brush till 4:30( I think I just screwed myself), and then drive up the hill....

Don
Old Oct 09, 2005, 02:06 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Hi Don,

Wind is a fickle friend ... but generally speaking, if there's wind up at Knapp's its good from the afternoon until sunset. Often it won't pick up until around 2-3pm. That's the way its been the last 4-weeks or so. Yesterday it started early and by 5:30pm, it was increasing to maybe 25-30mph.

I'm not sure when I'll be up today, lots of chores too! Hopefully we will meet. PM anytme you want to go up. Good luck with that retrieval.

ps. The flying site is not exactly at the Castle. Its on the hill to the right of the gate. You'll see a footpath going up.

Lance
Old Oct 09, 2005, 09:13 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Yet *another* big accident on the pass today, but the CHP let us up around 4:30p. Lift starting filling in nicely around 5:30p, only 15-18mph but it was enough for the Scorpion.

Keeping fingers crossed for the rest of the week.

Lance
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:05 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
%$!*$#!!!!! CAN'T FIND MY SICKLE!!! Spent an hour and a half!!!

Oh well, just ordered up a Combatwings XR to play with.... Hopefully we can get some wind by the end of the week at least...

Don

soon Lance....... soon....
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,089 Posts
Thuren, get a Weasel already! LOL

Hope to make it up flying sometime this week too, we'll see.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:27 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Thuren, get a Weasel already! LOL

Steve
I hear those are the cool thing around here!!!! You don't fit in unless you have one!!! LOL
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:26 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Hope you find your MIA sloper Thuren. Those XR's are nice wings, although most of the Weaseler's @Ellwood prefer to combat against something their own size I haven't seen much combat at Knapps, its better suited for heavier ships IMO, but of course everyone is welcome to fly there.

Lance
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:35 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
3,001 Posts
Thuren,
Let me know when you have your XR wing done and I'll bring my 5 spar Wing Warrior up. I don't fly it much anymore, but I love Combat in good lift conditions. Lets get it on.....muuuuhhhaahh hah!
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos