SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2005, 03:12 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Manta Racer - a sturdyboad canard slowflyer sort of thing (free plans!)

I was inspred by Chara's twin boom cutie http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414472 to build something out of the ordinary. It originally was going to be much like his, but with twin IPS-A drives in the front. After mocking it up in cardstock I decided to go with a canard but retain the midship mounting of the motor. I also decided to go with a single motor as it seemed to balance better.

So here it is...not sure how it flies yet, as the old lipos I was going to use can't put out enough power to get it airborne more than 6 inches.
shakysticks is offline Find More Posts by shakysticks
Last edited by shakysticks; Dec 02, 2005 at 09:16 PM. Reason: revised plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2005, 03:13 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
I thought it looked a little like a manta ray, hence the name. I'm guessing it won't be fast enough to warrant the "racer" part.

Glide tests indicate it should be a fairly gentle flyer with very good stall characteristics.

My wife says it's so ugly that if it was an animal it's mother would have eaten it at birth.
Old Oct 08, 2005, 03:48 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
I love it. Can't wait to see a flight report and some inflight pics. Great job shakysticks!
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Oct 08, 2005, 04:12 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
hey shaky,
really cool! good job! i love those kind of aircraft that stand out of the "usual" stuff. canards look really great in the air and fly even better (dont let your wife discourage you )!

i've built something similar this summer and it is one of my favorites! (see pics). it is an out of the memory remake of the "funky flyer" a guy posted here a while ago. unfortunately cant'n remember hist name to give him the credit he deserves (just make a search for...).

i keep the fingers crossed for the maiden flight!!! looking forward to read your flight report!

chara
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Oct 09, 2005, 09:24 AM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Thanks, guys. My new battery should be here sometime early this week, so weather permitting I'll give it a try. I'm thinking the key will be getting the center of gravity correct, but I made a kind of rail underneath to mount the battery. I'm going to rubber band the battery to the rail, and it will allow me to easily slide it forward and back to balance it.

I also shortened up the landing gear wires since the pics were taken. They were much longer than they needed to be, and had too much leverage on the fuse. I took about 1/2 inch off and they seem much sturdier.
Old Oct 09, 2005, 10:31 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Sticks , Pretty Cool Dude !!!! can't wait to hear the flight reports....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 09, 2005, 05:02 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakysticks
Thanks, guys. My new battery should be here sometime early this week, so weather permitting I'll give it a try. I'm thinking the key will be getting the center of gravity correct, but I made a kind of rail underneath to mount the battery. I'm going to rubber band the battery to the rail, and it will allow me to easily slide it forward and back to balance it.

I also shortened up the landing gear wires since the pics were taken. They were much longer than they needed to be, and had too much leverage on the fuse. I took about 1/2 inch off and they seem much sturdier.
Good idea to mount the battery on a rail. on my canard-flyer i found out, the cg had to be a centimeteror so in front of the LE of the main wing (much more forward than expected). now try to balance this out if your battery is supposed to be mounted somewhere on the main wing . first flight ended with a flat spin. (http://media.putfile.com/spin22). flies excelently now after i mounted motor and battery a bit more forward on a stick extension.
hope you don't run into similar problems. good luck!
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Oct 09, 2005, 05:36 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Chara,

it looks like the cg on this one will need to be about 20-25% back from the leading edge, measured at the root. At least that's what I'm finding from glide tests. What I'm really surprised about is the stalls - it doesn't really want to stall, unless I have the cg too far back. It just kind of does a harrier thing where it descends slowly without dropping the nose or a wing. But, I guess canards tend to have good stall characteristics.

Now, I just need to get the battery and try it out! I've been going crazy this weekend wanting to fly it. Shouldn't take long to get it, though, since I ordered from cheapbatterypacks.com and they tend to have pretty fast shipping. I'm tempted to stick a 3 cell on it and see what happens, but I don't want to burn out the little IPS motor.
Old Oct 09, 2005, 06:30 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakysticks
What I'm really surprised about is the stalls - it doesn't really want to stall, unless I have the cg too far back. It just kind of does a harrier thing where it descends slowly without dropping the nose or a wing. But, I guess canards tend to have good stall characteristics.
Actually, the canard is stalling, then it's nose heavy, and starts decending, since there's not enough lift to keep the nose up... This is a nice transition, but if you don't recognize it, it can get confusing. The only way out is with speed and less elevator, which is against everything your brain is telling you to do as the nose drops
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 09, 2005, 06:37 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Use the Throttle Luke...

Tape a matchstick at about 3/4 throttle position and slap that 3S in and let'r rip! should be safe from smoking anything expensive!

Great looking plane. really great looking. And of course the unusual is what I like as well

Looking forward to some flight reports when you can.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Oct 09, 2005, 07:38 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Very nice and simple, yet outside the box design. Good job Shakysticks! Can't tell for sure if the horizontal stab is fixed with no control surface, looks like it. Does it have any incidence?

Nice plane, I'm thinking about a bigger one with a 350.

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Oct 09, 2005, 09:23 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
The canard is fixed, with zero incidence. I figured I can bend it up or down as needed to trim it. Controls are with elevons. Hope it works!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:07 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
did you test glide it first ????
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:25 AM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
yeah, it glides pretty nice as long as the cg is set correctly.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:19 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
well, my battery came today. Took it for a few quick hops down my driveway, and it looks like it should fly ok. It does seem to be rather underpowered with the IPS-A on 2s and a 9x7. AUW is 8 oz - I could have used a lighter battery, but I went with an 850 Polyquest.

One funny little quirk is that I have to give it quite a bit of up elevator to get it to ROG. I don't know if it's because the landing gear are so far forward, or if it's a function of the canard, or what, but it doesn't want to break ground very easily. Once it's in the air it floats along nicely.

It definitely won't be doing any loops with the current power system. I'm going to try and get to the park tomorrow for a real test flight, and I'll see how it goes. If I get a wild hair, I have a 25 turn LensRC brushless that I could throw in it. That motor really hauled around my recently retired 7 oz Polikarpov I-16. With about 1/4 of the wing area and an ounce less weight it was just a little quicker than this thing .

Or, I have a "C" geared J250 I could use, but that might be a little heavy. I guess I'll just play around and see what works best.
Last edited by shakysticks; Oct 11, 2005 at 10:37 PM.