HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:36 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
Converting a Talon to Super Talon EP

After seeing a Talon sloper then reading Kevin McDonalds thread on the Super Talon, I decided to do my own Super Talon EP conversion.
For more info on the Super Talon http://www.kjmdesign.com/kjm_m04_stalon.htm

I started with a standard Talon kit. The balsa is on the dense side but the density is consistant and the wood is of good quality. The Talon has die cut parts. The die cutting is not bad as die cutting goes.

Using the kit, Kevin's conversion instructions and a little ingenuity I shall proceed to build a relatively light 60" powered glider... I hope!

John
War Bird Radio is offline Find More Posts by War Bird Radio
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Oct 08, 2005 at 05:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:41 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
The build has begun.
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:47 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
The fuse and CF are coated with ployurathane varnish. The idea is light but strong.

More fuse pics.

John
Old Oct 08, 2005, 01:07 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
Tail group assembly and installation.

Since the wing span is being extended 10" (50" to 60") and the fuse was lengthend 1", I thought to enlarge the tail group too. I scanned the tail group from the plans and enlarged them 120%. Used 3/16 balsa instead of 1/8 for the tail group.

The supplied contol horn assembly of steel and brass is 11 grams... Too heavy! Used carbon fiber tube and rod to build one at 1 gram.... Much better.

The fuse with tail group and push rod installed weighs 3.4 oz

John
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Oct 08, 2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2005, 04:12 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
Wing panel build.

Cut two extra root ribs per wing panel and extended plan at root.
Noticed on Kevin's Super Talon page that his wings taper again near the tips. I've tried to duplicate that added taper on the plans and will build it into my wing.

John
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:53 PM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
Hi John, you are building a "Super" model

Very nice indeed!!. Did You reinforce with cf the inside of the fuse?

Your weight is very light, and with the increase in wing span will be very well manered in flight.

You can see my conversion at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120807.

JL
JLSalas is offline Find More Posts by JLSalas
Last edited by JLSalas; Nov 08, 2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 09:44 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
JL,
Yes, I have read your thread on your powered Talon. That was nice work on converting your Talon to electric.

My Super Talon EP is now a Super Talon sloper. I decided to not make it electric. Also, I used a wing from a Filip 400 RG I had. My Filip was set up to be a hot liner but the fuse is very fragile. After about 10-15 flights cracks started to form around the cockpit. I reinforced the forward part of the fuse with carbon fiber but the cracks grew until the fuse was not usable. I removed the gear from the Filip and saved the wing. The wing is 60 inch span with about 0.5 inch more cord then the original Talon wing. I was able to mount it like the Talon wing only the bolt block was moved forward of former #2 and reinforced with carbon fiber.

Yes, I reinforced the inside of the fuse with carbon fiber, tho the Talon has a strong fuse compared to the Filip.

I now need to install the radio gear and the Super Talon is ready for the slope.

John
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Oct 17, 2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:43 PM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
wow!!

your Super is super!! The wing seems to be designed for the super Talon.

JL
Old Nov 05, 2005, 10:40 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
The Super Talon flew it's maiden voyage on Nov. 4. Everything went great. I actually had to put a couple clicks of down trim and it was very stable. It stays up on very light lift keeping up with my friends Spinner but retains energy better and handles a good deal of wind. The carbon fiber control horn assembly for the flying horizontal stab is working out nicely. I was concerned aobut the CF flexing too much, doesn't seem to be an issue. I also made my own servo covers for the wing since I lost the origianls.

I am very pleased how this plane turned out. I can say it is really one of a kind being part scratch built, part kit and part ARF.
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Nov 07, 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2005, 09:05 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,130 Posts
War Bird,

Very Nice! Very nice indeed!

Tony
Tshires is online now Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Nov 06, 2005, 09:34 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
Hi Tony,
I hope people aren't getting tired of me posting pics of this plane here and other places. I'm just excited with how well it turned out that I want to share it with others.

Hey Tony, when do you plan to come to Peterson Butte? Would like to meet up with you. Mabey I'll have the camera installed in the 2 mtr by then, I could take pics of your planes in the air! Plane to plane slope photos!
Let me know when you can make it and I'll try to be there. This weekend was little wind and much rain.

John
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:08 PM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
John:
The Talon retains energy and flies with wind very well.
Did you perform some aerobatics with your Super?

JL
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:22 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Stayton, Oregon, USA
Joined May 2003
1,255 Posts
JL,
Yes, I did loops, rolls and stall turns. Loops are very tight, large loops are easy, it has a tendency to snap roll if you pull up hard and fast. Rolls are on the slow side because of the medium aileron throws, I can always increase throws. Inverted flight is a bit sloppy because of dihedral in the wing. Stall turns or half pipes are great. Last wedensday I was formation flying with a Mog, we were half pipeing at each end. The Super Talon really pics up speed coming out of a turn and retains it so I could go farther vertical in the next turn. I'll have to get some video.

John
Old Nov 07, 2005, 09:58 PM
Santiago Pudahuel, Chile
Joined May 2003
1,286 Posts
That would be great!

JL
Old Nov 08, 2005, 08:49 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,130 Posts
War Bird,

Never get tired of looking at pics of sailplanes. I have a Talon in the box and now am wondering if maybe I should make it into a super talon? But I also noticed that they are on sale at Hobby People for only $34.99! So maybe Ill do the first one stock and get a second to modify? I need to get some other projects off the build board first.

Hoping to make it down to Peterson Butte in the next few weekends. Ill PM you a day or two in advance and hope we can fly together. Plane to plane photos sound really cool.

Tony
Tshires is online now Find More Posts by Tshires