Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2001, 02:14 PM
Gainesville, Fl
Joined Nov 2000
181 Posts
I think I am ready to move up from the T-52...

Today I folded the wings on my t-52. It wasn't pilot error or bad wind or anything like that. I just get bored by the limited aerobatics and speed of the T-52. I am ready to move up now. I am able to fly my t-52 with ease and no crashes. I can spot land pretty well and do the simple aerobatics that the T-52 can handle...but I want more. What should I get? I would like to be able to use my current equipment in the new plane (hitec 555 reciever, 2 hs 81 servoes, 8 cell 600 mah nicads and a Great Planes c-20 esc).
I would rather buy a whole new plane. I thought of just getting a new T-52 but I'm a friad that I would just do the same thing to it.
Thanks for the help. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Robo is offline Find More Posts by Robo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2001, 02:46 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
It's not clear if your T-52 has ailerons or not. If not, you may want to try a flat aileron wing. I did, and find it to be a fun challenge and step up from the stock rudder-elevator plane. And, it's still tough enough to put up with my mistakes.

Mitch

P.S. I'm surprised you were able to fold the wings. What were you doing when it happened? What's your power setup?
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 11, 2001, 03:24 PM
Gainesville, Fl
Joined Nov 2000
181 Posts
I have a direct drive speed 400. I dove straight in from 200 feet and pulled up about 4 feet from the ground. The plane handled it ok but the wings folded. They didn't snap or anything but I just took the tape off and found two cracks in the foam. The result is a real floppy wing.
Can I use a direct drive sp400 on an aileron flat wing?
Robo is offline Find More Posts by Robo
Old May 11, 2001, 08:44 PM
Royal Oak, MI USA
Joined May 2000
554 Posts
Hey bud....go back to the JKA page and look at the EPlane. All your equipment will bolt up. The only change you may want to consider is buying a 480. You swap the rudder servo for ailerons...rudder in it's stock form is inactive. AND....it's inexpensive.
Keep your head down Jamie
Hank Villerot is offline Find More Posts by Hank Villerot
Old May 11, 2001, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Try a Zagi, Razor, Pico Jet or Twinjet, they're all fairly fast and aerobatic and will take a few boo boo's and are not that expensive. They're upgradeable to more power as well. I find the Twinjet the most challenging of the bunch.

RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old May 13, 2001, 09:20 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robo:
I have a direct drive speed 400. I dove straight in from 200 feet and pulled up about 4 feet from the ground. The plane handled it ok but the wings folded. They didn't snap or anything but I just took the tape off and found two cracks in the foam. The result is a real floppy wing.
Can I use a direct drive sp400 on an aileron flat wing?
Ahh, so that's how one folds T-52 wings.
As far as your question about direct drive and ailerons, I don't know.
I've been running a geared setup (2.3:1 with 9x6 prop) since my third flight. I don't see why you couldn't go with a DD setup. Although, I (along with several others) find the geared setups more enjoyable (longer flight times, better climb, etc.).

Mitch

Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 13, 2001, 09:39 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,716 Posts
The e-plane works fine with the direct drive 400 and NiCds. My Flat aileroned wing T-52 wasn't so hot with direct drive. Works much better with the geared drive.
hoppy

ps since you've got the T-52, throw the middle of your wing away, add a servo and have yourself a pretty aerobatic plane. http://home.cfl.rr.com/hoppyfl/t52ailer.jpg

[Can I use a direct drive sp400 on an aileron flat wing?[/B][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by hoppy (edited 05-13-2001).]
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 13, 2001, 11:22 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
After flying a T-52, I would have to second the Zagi reccommendation. I just started flying one, and am very happy with it--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer