HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2002, 04:52 AM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you? FLY.

(hmm the subject will probably only make sense to some of those in North America)

My GWS Tiger Moth flies so slow I thought it would make a good night flyer. I know others have already done this. So I put two LED lights on it really late this evening (I only had two handy). I finish the installation at 1:30 AM and you know you gotta try it out right then and there, yes?

I rip over to a lit empty parking lot (a gym) near my house. I've flown there at night before with a Minimax with no LEDs. I park my car, pop the trunk, and get the airplane out. Out of the corner of my eye I see a truck down the street suddenly shut off its headlights. I thought, hmm, I wonder if that's a cop. I see the truck still coming towards where I am with the lights off. Yep, its a cop in a Blazer. Great. I better make sure the plane is in full view so he doesn't shoot me. He comes wheeling into the parking lot ready to apprehend me. I immediately say to him, "odd time to fly a plane, eh?" and smile. He says, "Yeah, I thought you might be breaking into the place." Anyway I quickly engaged him in conversation about the plane and he was really nice and interested in it (I was hoping he wouldn't hassle me about my out of state license plates too, he didn't). He asked about the noise, I said, "Oh, it's electric" and I revved the motor. He said, wow that is quiet and I let him hold it to see how light it is. He was impressed. I then proceeded to launch the plane twice into the ground with him as the witness. How odd and embarrassing, it flew fine earlier in the day. Then I realized I had the computer radio set to the wrong model (servos reversed) from a flight session earlier in the day. I fixed it right quick and then shoved the plane off for another try. Yea, it worked--slow night flying! The Cop left surely amused.

I think I need to add two more LEDs to safely fly it in a non-lit area. But it sure looked cool and no hassles from Mr. Policeman.
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Last edited by Inari; May 15, 2002 at 05:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2002, 07:10 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Will be looking for you on "Cops".

Yeah we get the show down under.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old May 15, 2002, 09:31 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
John- hilarious story!! Glad it had a -happy- ending

Too funny about the launches, I can fly a plane a hundred times at my neighborhood field without incident, but as soon as I tell someone to watch how great it flies, something bad and/or ugly will happen!

Just yesterday I ordered a night flying light kit for my TM from Hobby People, has 3 lights with various colored caps that can be placed on them. Can't wait to try them out!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old May 15, 2002, 10:20 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Hehehehe, isn't that the case. I had my last name printed out and stick to the top wing of my Piper Cub (as you see on my avatar) went to the field and showed all the guys, they all thought it was cool, and asked what material I used to have nicely printed out like it is.

Prior to that, My Cub was zooming in the air, for about 4 flights, as soon, as I bragged about my Cub and it's cool lettering. BONKED straight to the ground. Not a flight, was being flown after that, all to the ground I now, just shut up about it. Except in here, cause you all won't see me crash, every time I open my mouth. but Nari, your story is embarrasing hehehe

I like the lights though
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old May 15, 2002, 10:47 AM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
i thought you had the memebers of a gang do your plane in when i started reading this thread! i don't see why the cop shouldn't have been nice.......

Peter
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Old May 15, 2002, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Night Flying

Inari,

Great Story! It is good that you were on the watch. I'm sure that gave you the time to have that opener ready that set the tone for the meeting.

No problem with the bonks, it's all part of showing that the e-planes are harmless.

One Owl to another, "Hoot"

Rogerdoger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old May 15, 2002, 12:50 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Wow, they get the show COPS in Australia? No wonder people from Down Under don't visit the US anymore.

Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old May 15, 2002, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Tres, is this the light kit you ordered for use on the moth?
RAM132 RAM Park Flyer Nite Lites (3 light system - 6 grams)

I could use some orientation hints when I fly above parking lot lights
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus