HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2005, 11:11 PM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
AXI Maintenance/Repair

I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I have a 32 oz Stik-E with a radial mounted AXI 2808 (pic attached). I have aerated the field a few times with the plane (2 times due to pilot issues and the last one due to BEC failure) hard enough to need to rebuild the front end of the fuse; except this last time where the ground was soft enough that the plane was sticking straight up with the spinner buried. Each time I have use canned air to blow out the motor, but that is the only "repair" I did. However, after the first few “incidents” the motor made a little more noise than it originally did but not much so; it never ran hot, pulled the same amps, and all seemed OK. After this last “incident,” it really makes quite a bit of noise (sound kind of like an old, large gearbox), pulls a few more amps (about 3) and doesn't seem to have quite the oomph. So, a couple questions:

1. Has there been a previous thread on the dismantling and cleaning of an AXI outrunner? I saw one for an e-flite, but I don’t know if they are essentially the same as the AXI’s.

2. Should you do regular maintenance on theses motors (cleaning, lubing, etc.)?

3. Anyone have any idea what I may want to look at for potential issues with this motor?

Thanks.

Tom
TubaTom99 is offline Find More Posts by TubaTom99
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2005, 01:11 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2004
430 Posts
Make sure none of the magnets came loose
Geoff Akerlund is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Akerlund
Old Oct 07, 2005, 05:43 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,311 Posts
is the prop shaft bent?
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Oct 07, 2005, 12:59 PM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
No, the shaft isn't bent. At least, as close as I can tell it isn’t. I mount it "radially" (not sure if that is a real word) so the shaft is pointing into the fuse. I wonder if it still can be bent in that position. Also, the gap on the housing (the gap between the part that rotates and the part that doesn't) seems consistent and is not rubbing.

Geoff: I wondered about that too. If I take the front off the motor will there be any parts that fall out all over the place (except for a loose magnets), or is it relatively contained? Do you have an idea of how the magnets are attached?

Thanks guys!

Tom
Old Oct 07, 2005, 02:04 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Similar issues on a larger AXI caused me to return it to the vendor for inspection. Some magnets had come loose.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Oct 07, 2005, 03:54 PM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
Greg:

What was the end result?

Tom
Old Oct 07, 2005, 06:25 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,073 Posts
Tom,

There should be a 'C' clip on the front shaft. Slip this off as it holds the shaft to the front piece. Then the back bell will come off with the shaft by just pulling (the two I've taken apart was this way) . Watch carefully as you pull apart as there are a couple of small spacer rings on the shaft back and front (you will see them) . Only two 'main' parts. Then just check your magnets and clean out any dirt you find. If all is okay slip the bell back and put the 'c' clip back on. that's all there is to it.... Wouldn't try to break it down any further though than this .... Any damage you find you should probably get it replaced.

Mine made noise when the c clip was jarred loose, so the shaft/bell was free to move around (no big deal, just a little more noise ) . Also a bit of dirt around the magnet area one time caused a little click while rotating. Currently flying 'silently' after cleanup and the clip put back properly .

Hope this helps!

Richard

Rjc
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Oct 07, 2005, 07:13 PM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
Richard:

Thanks! I will give it a shot. I'll let ya know what happens. I am so used to looking at these things backwards, I foget there is a front!

Tom
Old Oct 07, 2005, 11:38 PM
PDK
Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
507 Posts
Hi,

The extra noise and amps would also be explained by a damaged bearing which is pretty likely "aerating the field" (especially the front one). It wouldn't hurt to replace them once you got it pulled apart. Just take the old ones to a bearing supplier and they should be able to get replacements.

Good luck
Phil
PDK is offline Find More Posts by PDK
Old Oct 08, 2005, 01:18 AM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
Thanks, Phil.

By the front, do you really mean the front, or do you mean the back that I use as the front (I use the radial mount)? Assuming I am an idiot (an often debated topic) and I don't do this much (2 strikes), are the bearings loose or sealed?

Thanks, Phil!

Tom

Australia... coolies! I would really like to see the country.
Old Oct 08, 2005, 06:19 AM
PDK
Joined Nov 2002
507 Posts
Hi Tom,

Yes by the front I mean the back that points to the front and the front that points to the back..........Ah here is a picture , the one on this end.

This motor is mounted with a radial mount and also has been recently planted. The impact of the can pushing against the inner race of the bearing indents the race and makes it rough. The other one is probably alright. If it looks similar to this one (not an AXI) you should be able to tap the bearing out from the mounting end with a small punch (i.e. put the punch through the centre of the mounting end bearing and tap it out the other end.) It will come out in one piece.

Yes I do mean look in the yellow pages for bearings. If you have trouble just take the motor in (with the can removed) and ask them to get some new ones (and maybe get the old ones out).

The world is a big place. I can't wait to have some time to visit more of the many beautiful places on it.

Good luck
Phil
Old Oct 08, 2005, 10:09 PM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
Thanks, Phil!

Nice to know I am not the only one who uses their electrics to aerate their field. Although my frequency of aeration is rather alarming! I beleive my club owes me something for keeping the grounds in such good shape.

I do appreciate the help very much. I will get back to you with the results. In the mean time, I put another AXI on the plane and I am amazed at how much quieter it is. The other got much louder than I though.

Cheers!

Tom
Old Oct 08, 2005, 11:54 PM
PDK
Joined Nov 2002
507 Posts
no problem Tom,
good luck,

I'm off to fix this one!

Phil
Old Oct 09, 2005, 09:26 AM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
I have a couple of 2820/12s that have had the case removed numerous times because of loose magnets. Just remove the small circlip from the shaft and the small washer that is under it and then push the shaft and case off. When magnets come loose from these they make a somewhat harsher sound that normal and the effeciency goes down, made noticable by shorter flight times. I sent one back for repair but it took so long that I have been trying to secure the magnets using epoxy. I have managed to stop them moving side to side but now they move front to rear. My latest fix has been to put a bead of epoxy around the edge to stop that movement.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Oct 09, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cogito ergo fly!
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jul 2004
266 Posts
Thanks, Batman. Early on in this provcess I was considering sending it back, but if it takes so long I would much rather try it myself and learn how to do this. Can I just work the c-clip loose with a screwdriver or is there actually a tool that small to remove the thing?

Thanks.

Tom