Old Oct 06, 2005, 07:36 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
Gallery
FOAM-EZ...Canard Sportif'...

Years ago , Bruce Thorpe challenged anyone to build a simple flyable canard in the "Boxy" manner....I met his challenge with the Boxy-Z , a 1/2A canard racer ..published in the Apr.1988 issue of Model Builder.... a really FUN flyer and so easy to make ....

Since everyone in the magazines are doing redo 's of their older designs , I thought I'd do the same ....So here is the Foam-EZ... a newer version of the Boxy , made in the crutch style , a Foamie ,powered by the new cd/outrunner motors for power and weight , and again , really simple ... any interest ?????
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2005, 08:32 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
I am in.
Keep going !
frankyfly is offline Find More Posts by frankyfly
Old Oct 06, 2005, 08:46 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
It's SO simple , we can build this one without plans , be back with the measurements later , Boss wants to use the phone and only this line works ... still fighting utility hookUPS after the storms..
Old Oct 06, 2005, 11:02 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
GPW take your time,
I saw watching tv what a mess is over there.
frankyfly is offline Find More Posts by frankyfly
Old Oct 06, 2005, 07:27 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
'storms' hehe kinda max-understaement, huh?

That's like calling me 'opinionated'

Should do well, but that canard is rather large, isn't it? Looks like 35-40%... I thought 25% was more typical, and some canards even less... I think my Lil-Long-EZ was close to 20%, but I might well be wrong. But, if it's a slow-flyer it'd make sense. But most of the CDR stuff has been anything but slow when it gets going. No reason we couldn't go slow, other than the smaller props wanna move!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 06, 2005, 08:28 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Yeah baby, looks like a good project. keep us informed.
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Oct 07, 2005, 06:41 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
Allthough the canard appears a little large , this is the combination that worked the best ...good speed (FUN) and power off goes into this very slow glide ...NICE .... we've made a bunch of these over the years , IC and electric powered .... my old ones had the Astro 035 cobalt and 5cell 9oomah nicads (Heavy ) but flew great .... with the new power systems and lighter possible overall weights , performance should be "sparkling"...

Alas , things are a mess here , no hobby shop till November, no flying fields , either... (all staging areas for military , PD, FD)... and it's been windy (not as much as it was a while ago ...)

Here's the first measurements..... canard 14"x4" ...split lengthwise down the middle , two inches each side... wing is 4% airfoil 7"x29" with 1.5" full length ailerons cut out of the wing ...easy huh??? .... Be back ...
Old Oct 07, 2005, 07:08 AM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
4% aerofoil????????

length, location of wings? size of vert stab? power system?
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Oct 08, 2005, 06:37 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
Right!!! We'll get to that ....looks like I'll have to draw some plans ..be back this evening with some ... 4% airfoil is GeneBonds' evolution ...thinner UC airfoil has good speed /glide ...easy to make too ...
Old Oct 09, 2005, 10:04 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
OK!!! Finally got to fly this morning(6weeks), and maidened the Foam-EZ.... From the launch on , it flew like a dream ....none of that silly canard business.... flew great , more or less like a "regular" plane...little breezy ,no problamo'... looped , rolled , fun stuff, power off , it transitioned into a beautiful sailplane like glide .... VERY STABLE for an "aileron" plane ...flew hands off easily .... a KEEPER!!!! can't wait to fly it some more....

Enclosed is a spec sheet , no plans , any questions ??? I'll be here for an undetermined amount of time ...
Old Oct 09, 2005, 10:13 AM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
gpw - Did you fly it with a J250? Perhaps you could post a picture of your finished plane when you have time
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Oct 09, 2005, 10:22 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,109 Posts
Flew with 15t26awg GB CD motor ,7x4 APC prop, 2-3 cell 700.... would fly fine with the J250....pics soon
Old Oct 09, 2005, 01:02 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
Media, Pa/Blacksburg Va
Joined Oct 2004
1,238 Posts
looks cool, it will probably be my next build
SaMx is offline Find More Posts by SaMx
Old Oct 09, 2005, 03:49 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Glad to hear you finally got to fly... Has to be a great relief... sorta like being constipated, huh?

Anyway, glad this simple sucker flew well. I wonder how it'd so as a super-slow flyer? You know, super-size it, and gear it down for a big'ol prop... Or even a high-wind Komodo Outrunner... Hmmmm... Maybe I'll consider it next.... Might be a good indoor sporty, if the weight is low, the power adequate, and some landing gear....
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 09, 2005, 04:17 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
nice and simple. i like it! any pics where and how you install all the gear?
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara