HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2002, 10:48 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Parkflier Needs help to get into Micro helis, Pretty please =)

I really hope you can help me out here =) I am into parkflyers and have been wanting to get into helis for a while but they cost more than i can afford right now. I allready have most of the electronics that i think i will need, could you tell me the cheapest way to get into helis? Here is a list of what i have to use =) 6pico servos, 2 gws escs. 1- 2amp and 1- 5amp. gws 4ch receiver. a variety of 7 and 8 cell battery packs . from AAAnimh to 3/4 AAs. I also have some IPS motor and gearboxes =)
What would you suggest for me to do now? what should i buy to get closer to getting into helis? what about the kind of heli? Homebuild or kit?

I really appreciate your time and your great info on micro helis =)

Thank You so much
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2002, 11:18 PM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
well you are in the same boat as me

I have been looking at some helis for a while and it seems the cheapest one is the MS Hornet (besides that 2-ch tail flapper contraption)

The kit is $175-180
+3 micro servos
+receiver
+gyro
+esc

So around $300? (w/all above)
Hodgepodge is offline Find More Posts by Hodgepodge
Old May 14, 2002, 11:31 PM
Shirley, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2002
250 Posts
hornet all the way

I was in the same boat you are in a few weeks ago. I went with the hornet. You can use your 5amp esc, your pico servos. You'll need a gyro- PG-03 is good. ($50 or so). Good batteries for the hornet are 8cell NIMH 720's, in square config.

Check out Dee tee enterprises (www.deeteeenterprises.com) they are one of the bigger hornet dealers in the usa.

The Corona is another option - - But you'd need a bigger ESC, and I believe bigger servos? (corona guys, correct me if I'm wrong)

-Adam
afabio is offline Find More Posts by afabio
Old May 14, 2002, 11:46 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Yes the Hornet will fit your needs, and all your equipment.

The Corona will need a 35 amp heli ESC. I think the corona is $300 with motor and ESC, but needs tuff servos.

The Hornet is $175 form FXAeromodels.

Both will need a gyro.
Fred Bronk is online now Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 15, 2002, 12:20 AM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
ok sounds good, at the moment I will need to get another esc because the one from gws that I have says 2 amp

I'll also need another servo and a gyro. I believe I acctually saw a gyro (but prob not a good one) for only $25!!

But now I can't seem to remember where I saw it.

Is this the rock bottom in price for a reasonably flying heli?
(i'm kind of on a limited budget
Hodgepodge is offline Find More Posts by Hodgepodge
Old May 16, 2002, 03:32 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Thanks Guys
I want to get into this as cheap as possible I have heard the picollo is the cheapest and most durable, is this right? I am also thinking of building one myself. If i can find someone with a used setup that is beat up that would work pretty good, I have allways been pretty good at fixing and making things work again. Any of you guys have a fuse with the swashplate and all with it?

thanks
Jay
Old May 16, 2002, 04:08 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

If you are just getting into helis and you are looking at micros, the Piccolo is the right one for you.

This little heli can take some abuse. I accidently crashed one into my computer(battery dumped and I couldnt climb). It took me about one min to get it back together and I to fly what was left of the pack.

http://www.dreamhobbies.com/dreamhome.htm

There is only one mod I would recommend and that is the aluminum head bearing hub.

http://www.helihobby.com/Modificatio...colo_mods.html

Also, dont forget the House Fly(version 2). Troy(LS77) in Arizona learned how to fly heli on the House FLY. It already includes a aluminum swash and the aluminum head hub. To make it super strong, Mario also sells the aluminum head for it. Note it is a sub micro helicoter(smaller than the Piccolo), which means even less weight.

http://www.micro-flight.com/index.htm

The Hornet is more of a high preformance helicopter, and boy does scream when it is on. Personally I don think would like to fly it in my apartment.

One thing I like to tell people before they start is to be smart about replacement parts. You dont have to always buy the parts sold by each company, because there are substutes(saves you lots of money). An example is booms, I purchased a length of carbon kite spar(5.5mm dia) from http://www.acp-composites.com/ for 1 dollar. I made 2 booms out of what I purchased and the tub is also stronger than the stock boom. Im pretty sure you can also purchase the carbon rods for the legs too. Jus make sure to do your home work and you will have lots of fun in this hobbie

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old May 16, 2002, 04:11 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Oh, what radio do you have.

If you need a mixer,to mix the tail with the main motor, I believe Mario still has these available.

http://www.micro-flight.com/index.htm

Carlo
Old May 16, 2002, 04:58 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
I have
skyport 4 radio
5 pico servos
2 escs 5amp and 2amp gws
2 gws micro receivers
a bunch of AAA nimh 700mah 7 and 8 cell packs in several configurations.
several IPS motors and drives.

I would like to get into this without buying alot of extras. I thought about building a heli but the idea of building the swash plate and main drive system seems way to complex. If i could find someone with a cheap used piccolo i would be set =)
Thanks so much for all the help you guys are great. I would love to hear more comments and recomendations so keep them coming.

Thanks
Jay
Old May 16, 2002, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

You do need a mixer if you plan on using your present radio.

I suggest that you assemble the Piccolo your self so you have some experience with the mechanics. The Piccolo is the most simple heli you can build. I could probably have one built in an hour, but that is only because I know tha theli like the back of my hand

Besides, half the fun is building the heli.

Carlo
Old May 16, 2002, 05:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I would have to agree on building being half the fun...maybe more
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 16, 2002, 05:27 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Well guys There are guys who like to build and there are guys who do not!! But like you guys I also love to build LOL Even if i bought one built i would probably have to take it apart to see how things work, thats just the way i am LOL Now if i only could find a cheap one to buy. It sucks not having an endless supply of cash at times. =(

ps what do you guys think i could get one for with the gyro and mixer?

Thanks Guys
Jay
Old May 16, 2002, 05:40 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

You can get all your parts in one place. Sucks, but that is how it is.

Piccolo--$170
Gyro--GWS PG-03 $50
Mixer--$$$ maybe $25

As you can see, this hobbie is not cheap.

Note, I have heard that the Ikarus Micro gyro is actually better than the GWS gyro and you can get it for $50 at FX Aero.

Carlo