HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2005, 02:01 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
3 fuel line tank system

I am using 3 fuel lines on my tank, one for pressure, one for carb, and the other one for filling. I wasnt sure if the line I am using for filling needs a clunk on it, I dont think it would but wanna be sure. And second question about it, whats the best thing to use to close off the fueling line, a valve?
Thanks
Chris
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2005, 03:22 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,562 Posts
No, the clunk goes on the carb line. I just use a suitable size screw to plug the fuelling line.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 05, 2005, 04:14 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Yes,,,, that fill line also serves as a drain too.... clunk both the carb line, and the fill/DRAIN line.... if you don't clunk the fill/DRAIN line how will you completely empty the tank? I usually make it a just a tad(1/8" maybe) shorter then the carb line and clunk it. Works fine for me.
PS... there a devices called "fuel-dots" that cleanly mount to your cowling and serve as plug devices, as well as making your line readily accessible.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 05, 2005, 04:25 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
ok thanks for the info, well I only have one clunk line and the LHS doesnt have any, I am just going to go with the fueling valve that mounts on the side of my cowl.
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Oct 05, 2005, 07:08 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Instead of "clunking" the fill line, you can also put a short piece of flexi fuel line on it and then bend the line down towards the bottom of the tank, so that the flexi line sits on the bottom.
To close off fuel lines, Dubro has these small red "nail like" nylon stoppers that fit right into the fuel lines. As stated above, anything that will fit tight into the fuel ine will stop it off.
The other "mod" I do on most of my planes is to build a viewer window right next to the tank. I use a small piece of plexi glass. I can see, when the fuel tank is near full, and I can see how much fuel is left. Land, taxi back to me, look at the window, take off again.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Oct 06, 2005, 09:13 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoruwet
Instead of "clunking" the fill line, you can also put a short piece of flexi fuel line on it and then bend the line down towards the bottom of the tank, so that the flexi line sits on the bottom.
To close off fuel lines, Dubro has these small red "nail like" nylon stoppers that fit right into the fuel lines. As stated above, anything that will fit tight into the fuel ine will stop it off.
The other "mod" I do on most of my planes is to build a viewer window right next to the tank. I use a small piece of plexi glass. I can see, when the fuel tank is near full, and I can see how much fuel is left. Land, taxi back to me, look at the window, take off again.

Neat idea, I do sort of the same thing with my 3-d profile, except that i just do a slow harrier down the runway with the tank side facing me for a quick fuel check!
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Oct 07, 2005, 10:27 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Hmmm.. Does not work for me, excepty on the Battle Floyd I have, since the fuel tank is inside the fuse on all my other planes. Still can not see how much fuel when "in-flight". So have to pick it up, and look. Since I do that so much, I almost know exactly how long I can fly now. Also my timer on the trannie only counts when it is "off idle". So far it has been just about right, without dead sticking due to fuel shortage.
The look-see window, works really good "during fueling" (I only pinch the fuel line to the carb with a hemostat), and is a bit of a neat thing for checking "fuel left".
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet