HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2005, 12:12 AM
Joined Sep 2005
10 Posts
Rave
Scratch building a P-51 or Spitfire

Hi All,

I'd like to scratch build a P-51 or Spitfire. I have a bit of experience building models, however, I haven't built a scale warbird yet. I'd like to have a 60-80" wing span (I'd like to was a 90 size engine). I'd like help in two areas:

1) What are the best set of plans you have used to build a P-51 or a spitfire and where can I get them?

2) A "Techniques and tips for scratch building a model plane" web page or book or similar. I have not done a lot of curved work in balsa, so hints on "planking" and similar stuff would be good.

Many thanks,

Adam L
A_Langman is offline Find More Posts by A_Langman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2005, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2005
10 Posts
any one?
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:45 PM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,094 Posts
are you after a plan or a 3-view to make your own plans?

There are lots of plans on the Profili website: www.profili2.com, probably none in the size you want, but scaling is easy.
Have a look at the Spitfire by Dave Philpotts. There are a few build threads for this plane, not many actually flew though.

Some 3-views here: http://www.airwar.ru/other/drawe.html

Planking isn't hard for mildly curved surfaces (most of the typical fuselage). Three dimensional shapes can be strip planked: http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how...rip_plank1.asp

Read all the build threads you can find and learn as much as you can from them.

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Oct 04, 2005, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2005
10 Posts
Hi Hul,

Thanks for the reply I'm looking for full plans (ie an outline of all the parts required to be cut, assembly instructions etc)

Thanks for the link to the construction page. I'll read all I can before starting.

I have decided on the P-51. I'm keen to put a dropable bomb under her

Cheers,

Adam L
Old Oct 05, 2005, 12:40 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,094 Posts
don't think there are many plans of that size for electric planes. You'll probably have to use glow plans and redesign them to make them lighter and to fit the batteries. Or scale a smaller electric plan up to the size you want.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/ has forums for each of the major scale plane designers.
69" P-51D here: http://www.bhplans.com/bt2.htm

These articles may be interesting too:
http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo/page3.htm#TOP
http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo/page37.htm#TOP

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Oct 05, 2005, 11:05 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,800 Posts
150% Rittinger design?

You could perhaps send Mark Rittinger (mrittinger) a PM and ask him nicely for a ~150% version of his excellent P-51 plan? 150% size would give 60" WS.

It's not 100% Top Gun scale, but close enough They are pretty easy builds, and yield a magnificent looking and great flying bird! Wing and stab both have scale outlines, but the fuselage has been slimmed somewhat. You can check out the 100% version in the Old Crow build thread I did here in the scale forum.

...just my 2cents

Thomas
thomanie is online now Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2005, 04:51 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Adam, you say you would like to use a 90 size engine so I am going to assume you mean glow and not electric power. This is the electric forum you have posted in which may explain the lack of response. Bob Holman Plans can supply you with several plans/accessory options for the Spit and Mustang within the size range you are looking for. He has a web site, www.bhplans.com, but it does not show anywhere near all that he has available. Give him a call and order his catalogs, you won't be dissapointed.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Oct 05, 2005, 05:02 PM
Joined Jul 2005
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanie
You could perhaps send Mark Rittinger (mrittinger) a PM and ask him nicely for a ~150% version of his excellent P-51 plan? 150% size would give 60" WS.

It's not 100% Top Gun scale, but close enough They are pretty easy builds, and yield a magnificent looking and great flying bird! Wing and stab both have scale outlines, but the fuselage has been slimmed somewhat. You can check out the 100% version in the Old Crow build thread I did here in the scale forum.

...just my 2cents

Thomas
I have tons of P51 plans and most, if not all, are terribly off scale (and I mean really way off). Mark Rittinger's plans are about the closest I've seen to scale (as far as shape and look). You might want to alter his plans somewhat depending on how scale you want it to be. Mark, I think altered his plans just a bit on the nose, but they look quite good.

The P51 is my favorite plane, much less warbird, and if you need any info I have a lot to share...including an authentic 1945 P51 parts catalog that shows exploded assembly drawings of every single part, right down to every gauge and bolt. Just let me know and I'll try to help.
markmm is offline Find More Posts by markmm
Old Oct 05, 2005, 07:19 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmm
I have tons of P51 plans and most, if not all, are terribly off scale (and I mean really way off).
If you're talking electric, then I suppose you are right. However, if you are talking Mustang plans in general, Brian Taylor, Doss Steed, Jim Meister (Master Scale), and Dave Platt have all done good Mustang plans. Yes, I'm sure all have errors, but these are darn good.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Oct 05, 2005, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2005
10 Posts
Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies. To stop further confusion, I had intended the model to be glow powered. I apologise for posting it in the electric section. May be this thread should be moved?

Sorry all.

However, I'm starting to lean towards a Bob Holman kit. I had intended to totaly scratch build, but since it would be the first really large plane that I've built, may be a basic kit is a good start.....

Thanks you all

Cheers,

Adam L
Old Oct 06, 2005, 07:58 AM
Joined Jul 2005
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
If you're talking electric, then I suppose you are right. However, if you are talking Mustang plans in general, Brian Taylor, Doss Steed, Jim Meister (Master Scale), and Dave Platt have all done good Mustang plans. Yes, I'm sure all have errors, but these are darn good.
Of course, yes I'm talking electric. If you go over to http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/ you'll see lots of excellent P51 scale builds from plans that are quite large. There are some awesome P51 builds over there...truly amazing!!!

Dave Platt's look very interesting indeed.

Adam, If you want some detail information or photos of certain areas, let me know. The offer to share still stands.
markmm is offline Find More Posts by markmm
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1 Posts
re: doss stead p-51

markm,

do you know of any photos and or a construction article describing a p-51 build using the doss steed plans ?

was there an actual flying model built from these plans ?

are these plans still available ?

as i recall, bob holman sold the steed plans at one time. very expensive but supposedly the best available in terms of accurate scale detail.

the best P-51 B-C plan i ever saw was the M.C. BEAULIEU's "shang ri la"

the best P-51 D plan i've seen was DAVE PLATT's rendering.

thank you,

dave

thank you,

dave
daveweagel is offline Find More Posts by daveweagel
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:28 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
If you're like me and don't want to invest in plans, you may be able to find a Guillows or other scanned design, and enlarge. I'd send you mine if you were serious about building it, but I already sent them to a guy here who never built from them.
This 300% Guillows build looks nice:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=11
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:25 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,558 Posts
Like this?
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu