HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:04 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Micro Receivers (Full Range)

This is really a continuation of the Castle Creations/Berg vendor thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373813

The CC Berg receivers have been delayed in release for months and so people have started to look elsewhere for a micro size receiver and people have found a couple:

http://www.mikrodesigns.com/rxo.htm
http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/product_fs.htm

So it would be great if people would post there good bad or indifferent experiences in this thread with these receivers.

Link to CC/Berg:
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ.../bergpage.html

I started looking at the Berg 4L because I needed something very small with great range and reliability for my Switchblade Pylon. After someone found the MikroDesigns 5 channel @ 4grams I purchased it because it's 5 channels and would save weight in my light weight Yak55 Balsa 3D plane with hopefully better reliability than a GWS receiver. I should receive my receiver by Wednesday.

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:13 PM
Registered User
buzzsaw 46's Avatar
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Watching with great interest. Lets hear about those RX's guys!
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:22 PM
Registered User
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Rotten, do you have any idea what the range is on the mikrodesigns? On their web site they just say they have never been able to fly one out of range of the receiver? That really doesnt tell us much.
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:35 PM
Isaiah 40:31
yukondog's Avatar
Buckley Washington, USA
Joined Feb 2004
335 Posts
I've been on the waiting list since 7/27/05 for the Berg CC.

I decided to try the Hitec Micro 05S. I bought 4 of them at Tower for $29.99 each and crystals for $10.99 each.
The only odd thing I noticed was the pins on one of them were coming out at a slight angle instead of straight out. Quality control?
I would prefer pins 5 to be channel 5 but it is channel 6. The idea is to give you the ability to use flaperons by putting one aileron servo on channel 1 and the other on pins 5 which are channel 6. I like to use aileron differential more than flaperons. With my Optic 6 I would need to put the left servo on channel 5. Can't do it.
Other than this I have found these receivers to be worth the money. I get good ground range checks and have spec'd out my Magpie.
Regards,
Doug
yukondog is offline Find More Posts by yukondog
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:59 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
Rotten, do you have any idea what the range is on the mikrodesigns? On their web site they just say they have never been able to fly one out of range of the receiver? That really doesnt tell us much.

Thats all I could find also, I also believe most of the range figures given by manufacturers are estimates not hard figures as there are so many variables in radio signal reception. I think the Mikrodesigns guy is just giving an honest answer, maybe the question to him should be "do you think the range of your receiver is equivalent to the original Bergs or a Dual Conversion receiver".

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:11 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukondog
I decided to try the Hitec Micro 05S. I bought 4 of them at Tower for $29.99 each and crystals for $10.99 each.
The only odd thing I noticed was the pins on one of them were coming out at a slight angle instead of straight out. Quality control?
I would prefer pins 5 to be channel 5 but it is channel 6. The idea is to give you the ability to use flaperons by putting one aileron servo on channel 1 and the other on pins 5 which are channel 6. I like to use aileron differential more than flaperons. With my Optic 6 I would need to put the left servo on channel 5. Can't do it.
Other than this I have found these receivers to be worth the money. I get good ground range checks and have spec'd out my Magpie.
Regards,
Doug

I'm going to have to try one out there so inexpensive. I have used the Hitec HS05 with great success but it's as big as and heavier than a Electron 6.

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:12 PM
AMA 148796
Where it Rains
Joined Jul 2002
1,058 Posts
Has anyone tried the JR 6UL?

Ken
ken_keeler is offline Find More Posts by ken_keeler
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:31 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_keeler
Has anyone tried the JR 6UL?

Ken

Thats another one I'd like to try, they are a bit pricey tho at $65, I'm going to stop by the local Hobbytown tonight and see if their price is any better than the sugg. retail.

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:32 PM
Registered User
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_keeler
Has anyone tried the JR 6UL?

Ken
It also made no mention of the range in any of the marketing literature. I was interested so I called JR (horizon) on my cell phone while I was at the hobby shop getting ready to try one. The tech told me the range was only like 5 or 600 feet. I decided it wasnt for me.

I generally dont fly my models very far out but I figure a receiver that's good for miles will just receive better than one thats only good for 600 feet. I would only feel comfortable flying something like that indoors.
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Neither of these receivers mention TSR software. Does that seem significant to anyone?
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:43 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
It also made no mention of the range in any of the marketing literature. I was interested so I called JR (horizon) on my cell phone while I was at the hobby shop getting ready to try one. The tech told me the range was only like 5 or 600 feet. I decided it wasnt for me.

I generally dont fly my models very far out but I figure a receiver that's good for miles will just receive better than one thats only good for 600 feet. I would only feel comfortable flying something like that indoors.
I email donm@mikrodesigns.com and asked him to reply to the questions in this thread so hopefully he will when he gets the email, I imagine he has a day job though and unlike me doesn't go on RCGROUPS while he is there

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:51 PM
Registered User
Greensboro/H.Pt/Win-Salem P.T. Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Dec 2003
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTTeN
I email donm@mikrodesigns.com and asked him to reply to the questions in this thread so hopefully he will when he gets the email, I imagine he has a day job though and unlike me doesn't go on RCGROUPS while he is there

Bill
That was a good idea. I hope he does respond. IMO that equates to customer service which adds value to the product
NCguy is offline Find More Posts by NCguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:52 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy
Neither of these receivers mention TSR software. Does that seem significant to anyone?

I kind of thought TSR was a Berg designed process but it would be nice to see something similar to it in other receivers. My limited take on SC DSP receivers tho is that the DSP makes up for the fact that it is not dual conversion, the TSR is an added bonus to the software package and possible because of digital signal processing. I.E. TSR was never in my DC receivers and while a nice bonus, if the DSP can immulate the filtering effect of dual conversion in a receiver is TSR a requirement. I need to take a nap now

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Last edited by RoTTeN; Oct 03, 2005 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 07:41 PM
Registered User
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTTeN
I kind of thought TSR was a Berg designed process but it would be nice to see something similar to it in other receivers. My limited take on SC DSP receivers tho is that the DSP makes up for the fact that it is not dual conversion, the TSR is an added bonus to the software package and possible because of digital signal processing. I.E. TSR was never in my DC receivers and while a nice bonus, if the DSP can immulate the filtering effect of dual conversion in a receiver is TSR a requirement. I need to take a nap now

Bill
The shadow also has Transmitter Recognition. The whole point of TSR is you won't get shot down if the guy next to you turns on a TX on the same channel. Your control will probably slow down, but you should still have control. My take on SC DSP is that, you get the same slowdown because bad info is thrown away and last good info is held. So I think SC DSP can immulate the filtering effect fo DC, but at a price. Also, DSP hides the fact that there is a problem until it is too late.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2005, 08:07 PM
Everything flies....
PlasticHead's Avatar
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
The shadow also has Transmitter Recognition. The whole point of TSR is you won't get shot down if the guy next to you turns on a TX on the same channel. Your control will probably slow down, but you should still have control. My take on SC DSP is that, you get the same slowdown because bad info is thrown away and last good info is held. So I think SC DSP can immulate the filtering effect fo DC, but at a price. Also, DSP hides the fact that there is a problem until it is too late.

-Kwok
Didn't know that about the Shadow which brings up another micro receiver.

I view TSR and DSP as having two seperate purposes and really TSR is performed during digital signal processing. DSP is filtering out bad signals TSR is using DSP to identify your transmitter and use only signals from that transmitter. I would also assume the speed at which this occurs depends on the speed of the processor used. Either way I wish a manufacturer would put their two cents worth in.

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion full range micro receiver comparison csocso Hand Launch 44 Mar 05, 2006 10:06 PM
WTB: Receivers Micro or full size (Futaba flavor) Jeff_Berg Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Aug 07, 2004 04:45 AM
Micro receivers vs full size receivers Xnaron Radios 8 Apr 04, 2004 06:14 PM
Receivers / Full range? justme4321321 Parkflyers 5 Feb 12, 2004 09:58 PM
Full range micro Rx's in 36MHz??? schoey Electric Plane Talk 6 Nov 01, 2003 01:16 AM