SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2001, 06:58 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
GWS Props

I have a GWS 10 X 4.7 prop on my stik and this morning while I was flying it around I heard this weird noise sort of a rattle or buzz and I noticed the plane was acting weird, real low power would not fly without 80% throttle which is not normal for this particular plane.I landed and you would never believe what I found, both blades just out from the hub had these white stress marks where the blades had folded back! they were not folded back much but enough to kill the thrust and to cause the plane to vibrate like there was no tomorrow. I was wondering if this is a common occurance and if so what other blades can I use instead of the GWS props. I was thinking of maybe trying a APC 9X7E or maybe the 10X5E(this would seem closer due to the pitch is almost the same) any info would be appreciated and BTW there were no "hard landings" on this prop at all in fact it was brand new.

Lynn

[This message has been edited by Rekit (edited 07-16-2001).]
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2001, 07:11 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
I use the gws on a non slowfly application in the 9x7 size and have had no failures that were not due to landing damage on my non landing gear equiped plane.

The fact is, they seem to be more durable than the apc-E props I was using due to the ability to bend a little bit without breaking.

I have not noticed any perf difference between the apc and the gws in my sp400 app. I think they are a pretty good deal at 1/2 the apc price.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jul 16, 2001, 09:30 PM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
you will be better off with the apc slow fly props rather than the apc E's. both should work but there is really nothing wrong with the GWS props. perhaps it got damaged in shiping.
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg
Old Jul 17, 2001, 02:55 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
I only get those in a bad landing. Otherwise they're great props.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Jul 17, 2001, 11:54 AM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
Could it be that the prop was like that when you bought it (shipping damage or some such) and you didn't notice it? I'm really having trouble thinking of an explanation that doesn't involve hitting something with the prop.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK