HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2005, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2005
55 Posts
Lookung information about Thunderbird

Hi everybody,

Im looking for all available information about Thunderbird 55' mahogany speed boat by Hohn L Hacker, particulary pictures of the original version. Any idea?

Thanks
METI is offline Find More Posts by METI
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2005, 05:29 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Most beautiful wooden boat ever built, IMHO. You can see it yourself on Tahoe every summer, and if you are really feeling frisky, you can get some friends together and rent it out (Crewed of course) for an afternoon.

BTW, If by "Original version" you mean with the un-windscreened and covered amidships control station, good luck. I have been ogling this boat since I first saw it at Harrah's museum in the early seventies, and I've never seen a pic of it.

Other than the addition and a super duper power upgrade, the boat now on Tahoe is the original.

This will get you started;

http://www.boattahoe.com/history.htm#tbird

http://www.tahoecountry.com/woodies/thunderbird/
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Last edited by lrsudog; Oct 02, 2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 05:40 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,776 Posts
Meti, Irs, the Mariner's Museum in Virginia comes through again! (I love this place!)

Thunderbird (Hacker Commuter)
Model Plans (7 Sheets)
Scale
Plan Number CN1330

From their "popular boat plans" page...

http://www.mariner.org/library/plans_dwgs/pop_plans.php

I would love to see you guys do one of these! Stunning boats!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 06, 2005, 10:25 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Thanks Aerominded. Forget about a model, I want to build a full scale one! May have to pick up those plans just on speculation that I may some day get to build one.
Old Oct 06, 2005, 10:55 PM
Joined Oct 2005
55 Posts
Thank you guys,

I would like to build one of them too , but still not rich enough for that and still looking for information as much as possible to build at least a model. If you'll find anything just let me know guys,

Thank you very much.
Old Oct 07, 2005, 12:08 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,776 Posts
hee hee, I'm totally with you, Irs! Unfortunately for me, Mahogany and Gasoline ain't getting any cheaper!
Old Oct 07, 2005, 06:32 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I tried to order the plans today, but they are not linked for sales online. Looks like I will have to call them, the old fashioned way.
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:15 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,776 Posts
I've done business with them over the phone and they are good!
Old Oct 09, 2005, 12:49 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I'll call them this week sometime.
Meti, after your post, I went back and took a closer look at my books. The book "Hackercraft" by James P. Barry has a black and white pic of the Thunderbird as originally built with no mid cockpit windshield or cover. It is a pretty bad quality pic, but from a great angle that shows the original setup.
Old Oct 09, 2005, 01:55 AM
Joined Oct 2005
55 Posts
This is kind of images I'm looking for. I have found on the net only this images. If the image from your book is different I'll appreciate very much if you share it with me. Actually I'm interested in original setup without mid cockpit. Also, I think that on the week I'll make a call to those guys from Mariner's Museum to make a deal.
Last edited by METI; Oct 09, 2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2005, 11:14 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
The pic from the book is from around the same time, but I do not have a scanner.

I have not seen those pics before. Nice work.