SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2002, 12:06 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Added Tiny to my fleet!

Built a Tiny from scratch using the free plans from RC Microflight. I added the plane to my site under "NEW! Scratchbuilt Tiny".
http://www.geocities.com/ltowner536/slowflying.html

Have fun!
Lewis

PS. Picture is called: "Tiny in the rough"
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Last edited by flytowner; May 30, 2002 at 04:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2002, 12:16 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
A picture of the Tiny.
Last edited by flytowner; May 30, 2002 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 29, 2002, 11:44 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
I've finally found the perfect battery pack for my setup. NiCAD 7 Cell 150mAH! Finally, it flies great! I've been fortunate to have two perfectly calm evenings to fly back to back. Been having a blast flying the DuskStik and the Tiny. If it's calm tomorrow, I might have to break out the Switchback too!

My neighbor just competed his DuskStik yesterday. He had some motor problems with his old IPS A setup and then later decided to install his EPS A instead. Apparently it flies great now and he's using a weird direct drive GWS prop on his EPS A. It's an 11x7. According to him it flies excellant with only 6 cell batteries...

Have Fun!
,Lewis
Old May 30, 2002, 01:20 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
will the Tiny hover with that setup? Will it hover with any setup?
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old May 30, 2002, 04:34 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
There are probably some guys out there getting these things to hover somehow. I imagine it could be done with a big dollar brushless motor and some super light electronics. I'm just glad mine finally flies to tell you the truth!

A couple of weeks ago I got fed up with it's performance and decided to install the 280 motor and gearbox out of my old Sporty! I played around with different props and batteries and ended up getting it to fly but it was just too darn heavy. I was hoping to get alot of vertical out of it but it didn't do very well with all that extra weight on it's little airframe. I ended up going back to the GWS IPS A w/10x4.7 prop with 7 cell 150mAH NiCADs.

However, I did just order a couple of goodies to play around with.
I ordered a dual IPS A:
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...v__1162854.htm
and an S1:
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...cs__803648.htm

Can't wait till that stuff gets here!

,Lewis
Old May 30, 2002, 06:53 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
please keep me posted on that dual! I would think that would be the ticket for that plane to really perform
Old May 30, 2002, 07:04 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
That's a nice looking Tiny, Lewis! You should seriously consider the M100 as a possible powerplant. I'm using one on my Rake which is comparable to the Tiny in size and weight (26" span, 2 ounce airframe). With the M100 and li-ons (all up weight- 7 ounces), I've been getting outstanding performance with 15-20 minute aerobatic flight durations. It's a total blast! I've been considering building a Tiny with the same setup and hooking up the rudder to a 3rd servo.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old May 30, 2002, 11:41 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Dreamer,
I hope that the S1 or the Dual will bring it to life! If not, I'll have lots of extra IPS motors to play around with.

Tres,
I found and read the post about your Rake. That plane is awesome!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=rake
Where would I get an M100 and how much $? My neighbor built his Tiny like the way you want to (three servos). He's still working out some bugs with his so no flight report yet. The building job he did on his is first rate. Here's a pic of his full house Tiny:
Old May 31, 2002, 08:03 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I strapped a 180 on my IPS gearbox for my Hissy-Fit, which is *very* similar to my Tiny in flight personality, just a lot prettier. It's the TigerShark Motor, aka Egull Motor... It really brings this thing to life, while not nearly as much weight increase as the M100. I'd have to estimate it is similar in weight and performance to the IPS-Dual, only a $5 replacement instead of $20! (2x$10).

This is Bleriot's original idea, and is proving to be the hot ticket for the next step past the IPS. Can't comment on life expectancy, other than I have about 4-5 hours on the Hissy-Fit running on 2 cell QC830's, and about 3-4 hours on the And_Now with 3 cell QC830's. Both still fly fantastic.

I think the 180 fit's these small planes requirements a little better than the M100, but could be proven wrong. I noticed the M100 is a good bit heavier for not much increase in power. You have to go over the efficiency high-point with the M100 to beat it. Also, try to find a replacement M100 motor...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old May 31, 2002, 10:11 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
FT-

==I found and read the post about your Rake. That plane is awesome! ==

Thank you! I was surprised at the lack of responses, I thought it was a pretty neat design. It flies fantastic, I've got 23 flights on it now, all in the 15-20 minute range.

==Where would I get an M100 and how much $?==

It's 25 bucks at Todd's:

http://www.toddsmodels.com/largebrushedmotors.htm

7 ounces of thrust. My Rake ended up at 7 ounces, so it's a nice power-weight ratio. Very fun!

==My neighbor built his Tiny like the way you want to (three servos)==

Cool! Nice build job for sure! Let me know how it flies! Did you fix the rudder on yours? How are the rolls? The Rake has a coupled rudder, so even though the rolls are fairly axial, it loses some altitude. Inverted flight is insane, I've never been able to fly inverted for so long, over 2 minutes on one flight yesterday until I finally chickened out
Old May 31, 2002, 10:32 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
My Tiny has coupled aileron/rudder also. The rolls are pretty ugly but it does roll. I'm sure I could make it roll nicer if I was good enough to mix in some elevator at the right moment of the roll. I did try inverted flight when it was way underpowered and ended up in a big cedar tree! I need to try it again now that it flies well. I can't wait to try the dual IPS on it. Hopefully, my order will arrive tomorrow.

,Lewis
Old May 31, 2002, 11:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
After I said that I visited your site and saw you had the coupled rudder setup too. Your Tiny really looks great by the way!

My Rake rolls pretty well considering it's a coupled rudder. If I'm doing fast rolls, I stay off the elevator and just let it lose some altitude. If I slow roll it, I feed in up and down elevator as it's going around and it pretty much stays at the same altitude. The slow rolls look really cool too!

With the M100, I can climb out while inverted! The motor has a lot of pull. It flies slow enough to keep the plane in close though, really a nice motor.

I'm anxious to hear how your test of the dual GWS motor goes.
Old Jun 01, 2002, 04:15 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Well, I received my order today and I might have a bit of a problem with this Dual IPS A:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=42470
Old Jun 02, 2002, 01:06 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
BTW, Dreamer, Tiny's will hover! You just need to order a 4.8V (by mistake) Dual IPS A and over power it at 7.2V!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=42470

Old Jun 02, 2002, 02:09 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
yeah, I just read that... sounds good to me!