HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2005, 03:03 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Gonna Have some Fun

I just picked up at the LHS a built (as a free flight) Carl Goldberg Jr Falcon. It may not be as vintage as a SAM legal design but it does date back awhile. I have been looking for one of these for a while now. I will likely have to at least build a new fuse for it or may just use it to draw plans from. I will be building an electric RC model from it. I will post a pic of it as bought as soon as camera batteries recharge and I will post pics as I progress with it.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Last edited by Greg D; Oct 02, 2005 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2005, 05:15 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Pics

The model is a bit rough but it's a beginning. After a closer inspection it appears to have been originally built well. It was crashed at one time and the repair to the nose section is questionable at best. It was covered with doped tissue at one time, needless to say the monocoat is going away! As you can see the original canopy is still on it and is in good shape. I may recover it with Coverlite for a period correct look but easy to repair for flying. I will at the very least have to saw off the first inch and rebuild it which I would have to do for the conversion anyway. I may make a full cowl for it (vac or similar) that looks like the original Falcon 56 nose rather than redo the original sheet cheeks of the JR. I have not decided on a drive system for it yet. The fuse will obviously have plenty of room for modern lightweight radio equipment.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 07:34 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Stripping

No folded dollars involved! This model at one time had a real nice tissue and red dope finish, as you can see the monocoat was applied right over it on the tailfeathers. A bit of sanding to do.
Last edited by Greg D; Oct 02, 2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 07:44 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Fuselage

I didn't find any evidence of tissue and dope on the fuse. As you can see it will at least need quite a bit of work. It was originally built very nice though so I may do what is required to save it. I think I have already decided to make some drawings from it while it is easier though, at least some outlines for a possble indoor version of lighter weight. I am thinking a copy of the original box art color scheme in yellow with red or black trim so far. Probably Trexler wheels. Anybody have any ideas on a power system? I think a DD S400 might make it a bit faster than I would like it to fly, geared brushless?
Old Oct 03, 2005, 04:58 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
depends on what it weighs. It the bare aiframe is around 8oz try a GWS 350/2s LIPO setup.

CD rom motor probably good too - is that an 020 or an 049 up front?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 03, 2005, 07:59 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
It's an 049, not even a black widow either. I was thinking of the GWS motor as a thought too. The airframe seems plenty light but I have noyt weighed it yet. I don't even remember how many square inches it has I will figure it out though. I thought I would get most of the repair done first and then weigh the airframe, somebody has put the firwall in with alot of yellow glue. I may get the fuse repair started tonight.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 11:21 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
699 Posts
The Jr. Falcon is legal for Vintage R/C Society. It was designed for rudder only .049 power.

http://www.vintagercsociety.org
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Oct 03, 2005, 12:45 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
well I would stuff a geared 400 in that on 3s LIPO.

3s 1200. 3:1 box and an 8x6. Or 2.33:1 and a 7x5.

It's not built SO lightly that a 350 will be totally adequate.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 08:13 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Vintage,this thing doesn't have much clearance for a prop being designed for a 049 so the 3:1 box is probably out of the question. I have a 1.7:1 box and a S400R that might be the ticket though. Mike, thanks for the link. I clicked on "what's new" and saw that the Falcon 56 was chosen as they're official "one design" plane. I had a newer Falcon a couple years ago that I modified to look like the original 56, I ended up just selling it cause I no longer fly fuel.
Last edited by Greg D; Oct 03, 2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2005, 04:24 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
Vintage,this thing doesn't have much clearance for a prop being designed for a 049 so the 3:1 box is probably out of the question. I have a 1.7:1 box and a S400R that might be the ticket though.

that box, 3s LIPO and a 6x4 prop should be top banana.

7x5 on 8 cells...
Old Oct 04, 2005, 05:43 AM
Indpls.,In.
Joined Oct 2000
461 Posts
I flew one on a geared sp 400-this was enough power. Also flew one on a brushless
Mega 16-15-8 direct drive-overpowered.
dvint is offline Find More Posts by dvint