HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:25 PM
springfield,ma
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
How do you feel about GWS rx

just wondering how people feel about gws rx. pros and cons. I dont have a lot of experience. I put one in a gws corsair.
renerc is offline Find More Posts by renerc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:34 PM
INDEPENDENTLY POOR in OHIO
Joined Dec 2001
1,025 Posts
I have two on ch 52 and they work fine, one in a GWS Spit powered with a Razor 400 on 3s lipo's and the other migrates from one FFF bird to another mostly powered by either cdr's or GBX motors I wind myself

Roger aka GIFLYRC
GIFLYRC is offline Find More Posts by GIFLYRC
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:45 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER GANTZ
I have two on ch 52 and they work fine, one in a GWS Spit powered with a Razor 400 on 3s lipo's and the other migrates from one FFF bird to another mostly powered by either cdr's or GBX motors I wind myself

Roger aka GIFLYRC
I have a doz. or so of them on ch 43 NO PROBS!

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:53 PM
My other car...
Joined Oct 2004
727 Posts
They work fine. Not perfect, but not crummy. They're fine for normal use.

noodle
noodle is offline Find More Posts by noodle
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:56 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I own 2 of them currently and not one of them is in any of my planes. Why? Well I lost a plane to an R4PII due to the incredibly limited range. 500 feet seems like a lot but it's not. I also have had 3 R6NII's and only one of them has worked. I now spend the extra money and use the hitec electron 6 in all of my planes. Well worth the extra $20.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:04 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I have four of them in use, all in smaller lighter planes. I find they are fine as long as there are not a bunch of other transmitters near by. But when flying with friends i occasionally get a small glitch or two. No big deal on slow planes but the same little momentary glitch on a faster plane can put it in the dirt if it happens at the wrong time or at low altitude. On my faster larger planes I use dual conversion or Berg DSP receivers.

If you fly mostly by yourself you probably won't have any problems. If you fly with other people near by you might.

The group I fly with in the park sometimes has six transmitters on all within a 50 foot flightline. Not the big spacing of pilot stations you usually find at a club field. That probably has something to do with it too.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:37 PM
Long Island
Joined Oct 2003
199 Posts
A few guys in our club have them. They seem OK until you get two or three other guys transmitting, then they glitch like crazy. I use Electron6's from Hitec and M5's from FMA. No problems even with 6 or 7 other guys flying. Spend the extra $20 or so, it's well worth it.
JoeC is offline Find More Posts by JoeC
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:43 PM
kdk
NJ USA
Joined Mar 2005
293 Posts
you get what you pay for, if everthing is just right they work. both of mine are on my bench.
kdk is offline Find More Posts by kdk
Old Oct 01, 2005, 07:02 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
I have five GWS naro receivers on channel 54. They are generally OK, but they tend to be quite glitchy sometimes. Even when I am alone at the park, I occasionally get a glitch. It seems to happen on bright sunny days, which make me wonder if it is picking up solar activity. I think they are OK to use in cheap slow flyers, but I would not put them in any expensive and/or fast aircraft. Dual conversion (I don't have any experience with GWS' dual conversion) or Berg DSP receivers are more appropriate for that kind of use. It also amazes me how glitch-free the Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger's radio works under the same conditions that GWS receivers glitch like crazy!
Atac
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 09:23 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
I am using 4 naros and 2 picos and they are working fine for me, no glitches, either at the school yard or at the field with other people flying.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Oct 01, 2005, 10:26 PM
Now with more COWBELL!
Lexington, KY, USA
Joined Mar 2001
804 Posts
I've got 6 or 7. I use them in small slowflyers and indoor stuff because of their size and weight, but I use Hitec 555's or Electrons in the fast ones. I agree that they've got problems at crowded fields, but I've been satisfied with them overall. You do get what you pay for, but the "extra $20" isn't worth it just for some wild idea I want to fly in my backyard!
U2Steve is offline Find More Posts by U2Steve
Old Oct 02, 2005, 01:45 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2005
796 Posts
I would never even think of buying one!
jooNorway is offline Find More Posts by jooNorway
Old Oct 02, 2005, 02:04 AM
Yakkin' it up!
Kennett Square, PA
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
i'm on #2, no probs, even with 3 people transmitting at once... I mean, they are single conversion people, what do you expect???!!?
emnm79 is offline Find More Posts by emnm79
Old Oct 02, 2005, 02:46 AM
BFU Pilot
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Apr 2005
514 Posts
I've got one in my GWS Beaver, and have had no range issues and no problems caused by other people flying at the same time. (Our field has 4 flight stations and I've flown with 3 other people flying at the same time, one on an adjacent channel.) Not really sure how far away I've had my Beaver, but to me it seems I've had it up pretty high.

Only glitch I've had was when flying alone at an R/C flying field on a small general aviation airport out in the middle of nowhere special, and I think that was interference. (It was not a range issue and hasn't happened anywhere else.)

I am aware of the range limit of the GWS 4-channel Rx and got an Electron 6 for use in my E-Starter and future planes. (Assuming it survives my E-Starter crashes.) Haven't had much use of the Electron 6, but have had one strange moment where the motor suddenly cut out right after takeoff. That may have been caused by someone briefly turning on a Tx on the same channel, or it may have been the result of a specific problem that later caused an unexpected deadstick landing.

In summary: For a parkflyer type plane, a GWS Rx may be alright if money is an issue, and as long as you fly within it's range limit. (Said range limit being half that of the infamous Hitec Feather receiver for the 4-channel version.)

I have no experience with the 6-channel or new 8-channel GWS receivers. (8-channel supposedly has twice the range of the 6-channel. 2000 feet.)
EdrickV is offline Find More Posts by EdrickV
Old Oct 02, 2005, 02:56 AM
Undecided, Canada
Joined Aug 2005
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renerc
just wondering how people feel about gws rx. pros and cons. I dont have a lot of experience. I put one in a gws corsair.
They're fine for a GWS Corsair.
deSelby is offline Find More Posts by deSelby