SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2005, 03:06 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
CJM BAE Sport Hawk build thread

Kit arrived Tues.
Read through the instruction sheet yesterday.
First impression is it will take about the same amount of time as the K&A Mig to build. I'm not overly impressed with the quality if the glass work. It's not anywhere close to the Aeronaut/Jepe/Yellow quality. It does seem light however.
Fuse,hatch and intake ducting weigh 25oz. Distance across the intakes is 11 in. It's a wide body! Roomy inside for sure.
What you see in the pic is all there is. I should of and probably will order the laser/wood kit for it Monday.
This build will take several months to do. Mostly because the DS94 is at least a month away from being available.
Recommended gear is the Spring Air 302 as Jose used on his. I've been looking at adding the small dia Robo struts. Oleos would be nice on a jet this size.
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2005, 03:15 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
more pics
Old Oct 01, 2005, 04:12 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Er...why a sport hawk instead of a Starfire or something better?
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 01, 2005, 04:50 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Curtis:
I wanted to do another military type. I've always like the Hawk lines, especially done up in the Swiss scheme.

Would I have preferred a more scale kit? Yes! On the otherhand the oversize intakes should work great with the 120mm fan.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:15 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,953 Posts
Looks like a fun project. I'm even looking into a 120 mm fan project.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:18 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
The CJM kits I have owned were such a bear, and I sold them.
I don't know how the Sport Hawk flies, I have never, ever seen one at the field.
Why not the Hawk ARF from China?
Old Oct 01, 2005, 05:51 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger
The CJM kits I have owned were such a bear, and I sold them.
I don't know how the Sport Hawk flies, I have never, ever seen one at the field.
Why not the Hawk ARF from China?
I think it might be easier to build it lighter than to try and put the AMD on a diet. We'll see. Probably the the biggest factor was CJM lays up a lighter version than they offer for the Ramtec version.

Before I forget, do you have anymore of those lighweight plastic hatch holdowns left?
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:06 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Lighter glass layup would be halfway to everywhere. The CJM glasswork is HEAVY!
The AMD, though, is very light glasswork.
I saw a CJM turbine F-22 go down the other day...I was flying my little mig, then there is this big buzz and WHOOMP the thing goes down dead center on the flightline. Bits of glass and gravel hit my legs. You don't see a lot of CJM planes around.
I actually FOUND all my hatch latches yesterday...in a drawer marked "tailwheel brackets". Unforunately, there were no tailwheel brackets in there, which is what I was really looking for, for a Stein Models Rata I was putting landing gear on. So I went with just a skid and no tailwheel on the rata. I found the wingtip skids in a drawer marked "crystals". Go figure.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:17 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Hoser has done one of these kits with an HW-750, came out light at a little over 10 pounds RTF and he says it flies well...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 01, 2005, 06:19 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
That's REALLY light, for DF OR EDF.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Yes it is. Spring Air's, wire struts / plastic wheels and no brakes go a long way to lightness. Struts / Jet wheels and brakes are way over an extra pound, close to 2 pounds.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 07:53 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Yup. That's a pound right there.
Smaller servos helps, too, esp. on flaps...add up 8 full sized servos...it's a lot...
Old Oct 01, 2005, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Let me know if you need any help Gregg. She looks like a lot of work. But worth it in the end. With the cost of the 120 fan and motor-lipos your looking at around 2 grand.

You might think about going turbine next time Gregg. Or am I off here?

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Last edited by U812; Oct 01, 2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 08:10 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
My Aggressor II wing with film covering, struts and BVM grass wheels but no brakes is 3 pounds. My Viper wing wing with wire struts, plastic wheels and a glassed / painted finish is 2 pounds 5 ounces. They are the same size, the viper has less servo's.
Old Oct 01, 2005, 08:11 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
What's the EDF setup, what does it weigh, what does it cost, how much thrust and duration?